Bag boy

jason porter

not bad - but serious comedy pricing.

got to wonder - design and produce something that essentially does the same job as say a coat hook for roughly the same price as a coat hook - proceed optimistically?

Or, design and produce something that does the same job as say a coat hook for roughly the same price as a coat (!?) - proceed *cynically?

dan.

* no offense to trewaudio, who are great.

It looks appropriately priced for someone that handmakes it and is looking to make a small profit after the retailers keystone the price. Hell, we live in a world where we pay $75 for a stupid timecode cable.

If I did more bagwork I'd buy it. If you had to make that yourself, halfway through the project you'd be glad to pay someone else the $50 to do it for you.

It makes you look more professional with a cleaner profile to the bag if you ask me.

No doubt a good part of the price is because it's engineered to fasten into a Petrol accessory clip.  Being a specialized market item it's not unreasonable that it costs more than if it's something you'd find in an isle at Home Depot.

I think it's a bit overpriced, though.  $40 sounds more appropriate to me -- but, of course, that's just an opinion.  Glen and Remote Audio have to factor in what it costs to develop, manufacture, and market it and I imagine they priced it accordingly.

But you don't have to make one yourself, just go to a hardware store and buy a coat hook and attach it to your bag.

Personally I use a locking carabiner when necessary. I bought an expensive 1, it cost c. $10 and attaches to lots of things, holds more securely and didn't take a massive amount if imagination to figure out.

We pay 'proper' money for proper bits of kit like a "stupid time code cable" because we can't get something from the hardware store for €5 that will do a job and if you're charging for TC there is bit more at stake than where you'll hang your h/phones between slates.

Don't get me wrong - if I had a shop of any kind I would have a small range of ridiculously priced items - just for laughs (a bit like 'I saw you coming' (Harry and Friends)). If you've got as far as owning kit worth 10s of thousands but not worked out how to stash you cans, then $50 probably is a quick and convenient way to cover up a serious lack of imagination.

Just saying.

Dan.

I use a Husky hook that I got at Home Depot a while back.  It is very well designed. It has a sturdy belt style clip which I attach to the bag, and then the hook rotates on its axis and pivots side to side.  I lost one a while back, so I put a bolt through the clip and the bag.   Works very well for doc style situations.  Folds out of the way when I don't need it, and is right there when I do.  The little ball at the top prevents it catching on things.  I think Husky is a Home Depot brand, but I am sure other places have versions.

post-643-0-09747100-1386272774_thumb.jpg

But you don't have to make one yourself, just go to a hardware store and buy a coat hook and attach it to your bag.

Personally I use a locking carabiner when necessary. I bought an expensive 1, it cost c. $10 and attaches to lots of things, holds more securely and didn't take a massive amount if imagination to figure out.

We pay 'proper' money for proper bits of kit like a "stupid time code cable" because we can't get something from the hardware store for €5 that will do a job and if you're charging for TC there is bit more at stake than where you'll hang your h/phones between slates.

Don't get me wrong - if I had a shop of any kind I would have a small range of ridiculously priced items - just for laughs (a bit like 'I saw you coming' (Harry and Friends)). If you've got as far as owning kit worth 10s of thousands but not worked out how to stash you cans, then $50 probably is a quick and convenient way to cover up a serious lack of imagination.

Just saying.

Dan.

I guess you don't need to buy Petrol or Porta Brace bags either.  They're over priced when you can use your mom's old purse and a couple of belts from the Hello Kitty store.  But only suckers pay "Proper" prices for "Proper" gear I guess.

Why buy shampoo when you have a bar of Lava soap right there?

Why buy a belt when the grips will give you a chunk of rope for free?

Hammers are for suckers - use your walkie talkie

Why buy underwear when you can put 2 holes in the bottom of plastic grocery bag. Bonus=no laundry

How's that for imagination?

PEACE OUT!

Yes, it's handmade, yes there are other ways to pull it off. 

You'd be supporting a product made for location sound. 

There are some clips that are $25 each and nothing more than a plastic tube with two pins glued on. 

Suspensions are just pieces of plastic made to work together. 

Boom poles are carbon fiber with some knuckles. 

And then, what's the difference between a Zoom H6 and a 664 beyond timecode? 

it's a niche industry, not a massive market. 

More demand = more supply = manufacturing gets cheaper = costs come down and possibly quality as well. 

Isn't it great to have the options available to you!?

I love the idea, and I could ultimately justify the price although it feels a bit high, but I'm concerned about applying low center of gravity weight to that connector via a metal hook and cable. Feels like a fail point I don't want to realize, though it's a phenomenal idea that tidily fills a significant need. I want someone else to buy it first.

I guess you don't need to buy Petrol or Porta Brace bags either.  They're over priced when you can use your mom's old purse and a couple of belts from the Hello Kitty store.  But only suckers pay "Proper" prices for "Proper" gear I guess.

Why buy shampoo when you have a bar of Lava soap right there?

Why buy a belt when the grips will give you a chunk of rope for free?

Hammers are for suckers - use your walkie talkie

Why buy underwear when you can put 2 holes in the bottom of plastic grocery bag. Bonus=no laundry

How's that for imagination?

PEACE OUT!

non sequitur, not that imaginative, and you were the 1 kvetching about a $75 TC cable. i could continue but...

The beauty of our little corner the commerce market place is you don't have to buy something if you don't want to. Some people will see the value in something, and for others a piece of equipment may hold no value. It all depends on what the product does for you. The trick for manufacturers is coming up with products that will appeal to the most people. I can tell you this much: If there was any machining that went into making this specific product then $50 isn't a bad deal. Machine time costs money, and if you aren't doing a run of 1000 units of anything it's going to cost you a pretty penny. 

non sequitur, not that imaginative, and you were the 1 kvetching about a $75 TC cable. i could continue but...

If you can gather your scattered brain cells together and reread my post you'll see that I was poking fun at you for being such a cheapskate.  The odd part is that you're a snobby cheapskate. Don't see many of those around.

If you can gather your scattered brain cells together and reread my post you'll see that I was poking fun at you for being such a cheapskate.  The odd part is that you're a snobby cheapskate. Don't see many of those around.

::) In your book i'm a snobby cheapskate, in my book i like to spend money wisely (and live in nice flat, in an expensive city, raising 2 kids with very little debt, albeit without a coat headphone hook that connotes "i'm a super-duper soundman"). I guess this all fits with your signature theory and you're exceptionally wealthy because you're smart enough to buy this stuff and not despite.

::) In your book i'm a snobby cheapskate, in my book i like to spend money wisely (and live in nice flat, in an expensive city, raising 2 kids with very little debt, albeit without a coat headphone hook that connotes "i'm a super-duper soundman"). I guess this all fits with your signature theory and you're exceptionally wealthy because you're smart enough to buy this stuff and not despite.

I'm sorry to have offended you. I hope you accept my apology.