I just got kicked out for using the wrong mics. What did I do wrong?

Jarred Jones

Today, I was getting together my standard gear set. Boom, Senn MKH 416s, Sound Devices recorder, and some other things.

I was with a high end production studio who'd done quite a few shoots with this set up and said they had flawless results. They kept telling me it was "the industry standard."

However, upon arriving at the client's studio (A beverage company I will not name), the producer and director asked us what mics we were using. We hadn't started recording yet.

We already told their office earlier we were bringing MKH 416's since it's an exterior shoot and confirmed this with their secretary. However, when we repeated this to them at the set, THEY FLIPPED OUT.

They said:

"Why would you bring that ancient mic to a professional shoot? I had my secretary look up that mic and she told me it was over 40 YEARS OLD. She managed to find a better version of it called the MKH 60 within 5 minutes. WHY WOULDN'T YOU BRING THAT? YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL YOURSELF A PROFESSIONAL STUDIO AND YOU CAN'T EVEN ADAPT TO THE NEW INDUSTRY STANDARD?"

He kept going on and ON about how bad it was and how we should have known better. He terminated our contract and now my boss is saying we might sue him.

I don't understand what I did wrong. Is the 416 really that bad and out of date now? We'd never lost a gig because of our equipment, but if the 416s are old news, should we just replace all of ours with MKH 60s?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're idiots.

They still make 416s. They're still great. They stopped making them for a short while after the MKH60 was introduced, but when demand for the 416 was still there (from professionals) they started to manufacture them again.

My guess is that someone else was trying to get your job, and successfully convinced the producer your gear is inferior. He sounds like a real asshole.

Who cares what gear is used, as long as they are getting desired results. Lots of professionals here prefer the 416 over the 60. I'm one of them.

Robert

They're idiots.

That pretty much sums it up.

We already told their office earlier we were bringing MKH 416's since it's an exterior shoot and confirmed this with their secretary. However, when we repeated this to them at the set, THEY FLIPPED OUT.

You might want to learn to argue back. It probably won't get you anywhere but it'd be SO satisfying.

I smell a rat.

Yes this seems more like a situation where they were looking for a way to get rid of you and bring in there "people". Many years ago I was on a reality show which I had done 30 episodes on without a single complaint and nothing but praise. We got a new very green field producer who wanted her friend who was the sound mixer. So she told the office I was being difficult and began to pick apart my work and the whole crew. When they season ended they decided instead of hiring the local crew who had done 36 episodes they brought all her friends in my LA. The quality of the show went down and it was quickly canceled. All it takes is one person wanting you gone and they will find a reason or way. In my situation I was told they were unhappy with some of the audio so I asked them to send me quicktimes of what they didn't like and they never did. When the episodes aired they sounded fine. That is when I decided doing reality full time was NOT what I wanted to do anymore 

Wow that's one of the most bazar things I've heard of. I have two 416's and two 60's and agree with others that between both models my preference is for the 416 for many reasons. They may be doing you a favor where you're better off not dealing with an off the wall client like this. Better to find out about their bazar ideas now before the work is done than when they find something to complain about on your invoice to them.

I have found in my career that not having to deal with people like that makes one better off in the long run. If you lost the gig because of politics, then it's a person you don't want to work for. If you lost the gig because they don't know anything about your gear and fire you over it, then you it is a person you don't want to work for. You win. Yeah, you didn't get the gig, but who knows if they would have actually paid you and if the gig itself would have been a real pain for you. 

YOU did nothing wrong. The 416 is a fantastic mic that I and many others have in their kits. I will never get rid of it. I will use it along side my other mics. 

Also, I don't know why you're checking in with their secretary about what mics you're bringing.

When I read the OP, all I kept thinking was, "why did they hire a professional to question which mics he or she uses?" and if so, "why are they asking the secretary who know NOTHING about sound what mics to use?"

I say good riddance.

Sometimes a producer will question gear because they are afraid they may not be getting a first rate experienced professional and they're grasping for any information that will assure them.

There's some justification for this as there are so many newcomers who buy a package (consisting of whatever people here recommend to them that they can afford) and declare themselves a professional.

What you might have said was, (with an impish grin), "Well, you're at least forty years old, what the heck are you doing on this production?  Actually, the 416 is still a current model due to how many top professionals still use them.  How long has your secretary been a sound professional?"

Showing up with a 416 is like showing up with a Lamborghini Miura. Yeah, there are modern Lamborghini's that are faster but still everyone would still rather have the Miura even if its "old"... Bummer they flipped out but how can you argue against someone that's ignorant to that extent?

I'm not sure I've ever been asked what microphones I have, except out of curiosity from other tech geeks on set.

Surely, if they were at all concerned with any of your gear they should politely enquire and you politely explain and reassure. If they were still concerned, then a second opinion from calling another mixer maybe, who would of course echoed what everyone else has said on here and explained that the 416 is not only a great mic and very suitable mic, but also has the advantage of 40 years of rigorous field testing behind its frequently copied design.

But going off what the secretary Googled?? I bet they found a colourful opinion on GearSlutz about how the new Behinger mic is a "game changer".

Update. Just got off the phone with my boss and they're saying we were trying to rip them off. Since the contract didn't stipulate specifics microphones, they're saying it was our obligation to bring the best and we're at fault. He said he's already got another company lined up and he called me "an idiot" numerous times.

Boss is talking to a lawyer now. How are they allowed to say that about us? I'm still green to the field but I didn't know this could happen.

I'm terrified I could lose my job over this because I'm the one who chose the 416s.

Would you rather drink 40-year old Scotch or two-week old Scotch?

As for Alistair's suspicion, Jonas appears to have joined JWS 10 days ago or so,,,remember the Oktava vs MKH50 thread?

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/user/9693-jonas-macy/

Anyway, this could be real. So Jonas, let us know how/if this turns out.

Would you rather drink 40-year old Scotch or two-week old Scotch?

As for Alistair's suspicion, Jonas appears to have joined JWS 10 days ago or so,,,remember the Oktava vs MKH50 thread?

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/user/9693-jonas-macy/

Anyway, this could be real. So Jonas, let us know how/if this turns out.

Yes, I appreciate your help there. I do still love my Oktavas, but this company has both the AT and the MKH 50 in their locker already. I'm still a bit new to this

A bit more info, I'm an apprentice at this company and It's my 2nd week. The boss trusted me to get the best mic for the situation and I thought 100% this MKH 416 would have been perfect for this outside shot. Now because of me this whole mess happened and I really don't want to leave bad mark on this industry. I just got started and I don't want to lose this amazing opportunity.