sonosax sx r4

filippo toso

i'm testing a 2nd hand sonosax and i'd like to heard some sonosax user feedback.

the pres are really warm and nice but i can heard a bit of analog noise due to the gain stage(don't know how to say in english in italian is "soffio" something like "breath"). i've have done a test using an mkh 50. to reach a good level, setting the gain to low, i must turn the knob around 3 o'clock. and analysing the recorded signal the response is:

- noise level : -90db (without mike in but with knob at 3 o'clock)

- peak level: around -14 db

- rms level: around -30db

what i'm asking is if this enough s/n ratio . 

btw the machine is very nice and light.

another little issue is that the hpf is set to 135hz 6db slope that is a bit too high in my opinion, and that knobs are gain and not faders and can't go to 0. With 6 rechargeble batteries it last 5 hours, 2 of them recording continuously 4 tracks with 1 phantom on. 

i upload part of the file here so you can listen (you can here a bit the noise of sx r4 itself because mkh 50 was near it, in real world it won't be a problem)

Filippo

AX0538S4-02.A1.wav

I've used sonosax SX-R4 for production sound.  The preamps are very good sounding.  The HPF is too severe, i agree.

Also, make sure that your not inadvertently turning up the gain on a unused input.  Easy to do if you have some input channels ganged together by mistake.  

Hi Filippo, hi all!

another little issue is that the hpf is set to 135hz 6db slope that is a bit too high in my opinion,

The best solution for this is to invest in a pair of Rycote TAC!T inline filter cables http://www.rycote.com/products/accessoriesspares/tact/

I've been using these for a few months now and they really help with boom handling noise, especially with my Schoeps CCM4/CCM8 MS setup

Cheers,

Jürg

The best solution for this is to invest in a pair of Rycote TAC!T inline filter cables http://www.rycote.com/products/accessoriesspares/tact/

I've been using these for a few months now and they really help with boom handling noise, especially with my Schoeps CCM4/CCM8 MS setup

Cheers,

Jürg

Agreed. I have built the Tac!t pcb into my Minix mounts for my CCM41s or CCM5 rigs. Massively reduced handling noise but no audible effect on the human voice. Highly recommended. 

Tim

post-631-0-61533300-1386410922_thumb.jpg

post-631-0-43421800-1386410936_thumb.jpg

Agreed. I have built the Tac!t pcb into my Minix mounts for my CCM41s or CCM5 rigs. Massively reduced handling noise but no audible effect on the human voice. Highly recommended. 

Tim

Nice! How did you get the glue undone?  I asked rycote if they could build one into an MZL connbox but said they couldn't as the tac!ts are manufactured by a third party

Nice! How did you get the glue undone?  I asked rycote if they could build one into an MZL connbox but said they couldn't as the tac!ts are manufactured by a third party

OK I admit it: the designer sent me a couple of boards.....

Tim

• 1 year later...