Rolling case dilemma...

pvanstry

Now you got me googling around before bed, I'm blaming you if I can't sleep :)

I found this, it looks very interesting:

http://festoolusa.com/power-tools/storage-systems/

And they have a cart for the system:

http://festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/storage-systems/sysport-cart/sysroll-systainer-and-storage-dolly-498660

Now this is something interesting.  My Fax Max may be finding a new home.  Just need to see one in person or at least what the inside of those boxes look like.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread! Thanks pascal for bringing it up. I also recently repackaged my kit to optimise portability. I d like to get something with drawers too but haven t found anything light and compact enough for my needs. Working mostly solo in often small locations i d rather focus on portability and size more than anything else.

I got the pelican im2620 storm case with divider sets as well and it fits well my kortwich nomad bag, my wireless, slate and erx's, mics and accesories with the optionnal interior panel. It s safe, rugged, lockable, waterproof ans it rolls well.

For the rest i got a lowerpro 450 AW backpack. It holds my zep and boom nicely and fits the million pair of headphones, comtek packs and my backup 302 + zfr100 combo.

Of course i d rather have something a bit more protective and drawers but it is more important for me to be able to lift it all by myself in one time. The whole thing is 90 pounds and only 25 pounds of it is casing.

I like my solution so far. It s fast, light and convenient and i feel i can handle anyt. Taking the subway or the scooter to a gig cannot be beat.

I love to see other people's solutions. Keep them coming!!

post-2158-13863415456.jpg

I use this as a rolling case solution:

http://www.sortimo.de/index.php?id=2104&forceMobile=1&sortimo=2012&L=1

It has the drawers, is lightweight and very robust. The great thing about this system is that it is modular. You can buy different size cases with and without drawers (the smaller one don't have drawers) and you can stack them atop each other. Each case will lock onto the case below, which means you only ever need to use the handle of the top case to pick up the entire tower.

The whole case stack can then be clicked onto a roller board which has 4 small wheels, two with brakes, all of them can turn in any direction. Depending on the height you can sit on the stacked cases even when on the wheel platform. They even sell a cushion to fit the case. I also sometimes put my bag on it.

There are different types of drawers (check out their site), and the cases that don't have drawers can be purchased with different insides, like the popular cut-out foam and other things. I have also put the inserts from a pelican case inside one.

This company specializes in drawer racks and other things for cars, so they have various options for securing this in your car.

I have a VW van and they have put a metal bracket thing in there on which I can sort of hang all stacked cases and secure with a belt. It's very quick to put it in.

Great thing about this system is that I can adapt quickly for different jobs, just add another case on top.

I like this system a lot!  I think they might make the boxes for Festool as they're so similar.  The host on our show uses Festool so I've seen part of the system up close and its very nice.  Cost could add up quickly but the other cases made for our use aren't cheap either.  Just wondering if for airline travel these could simply be put inside of a Pelican or Storm case as long as the items inside are protected from sliding around.  You can purchase them in the US at this store which has a number of locations across the country and here's link to their website: http://www.woodcraft.com/brands/2746/Tanos.aspx?start=36

One thing I came across and thought was interesting is this from Petrol:

http://www.petrolbags.com/product/1015395.1008306.0.0.0/PA1003/_/Large_Deca_Gear_%26_Accessories_Bag

17.8lbs dry, doesn't have drawers really but has that compartment area underneath the top cargo space, interesting but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I stage my gear in 3 levels.  

Just the bare essentials, in a Pelican 1510

Then I add backup equipment, and just in case, problem solving stuff like adapter packages.

Then I'm bringing out the cart with all the bells and whistles. 

I'm looking for something that can get me to level 2 that I can just toss on the cart for level 3 and go but airline checkable for fly away shoots. 

These are the sort of things that keep me up at night.  

I'm using a petrol accessories bag (the older medium one) for 'level 2' (adapters, mounts, IEMs  etc), for jobs where I have to get public transport.  It seems to offer a fair bit of protection,without too much weight although it feels like you can't get that much in it for the size.  Also falls over easily if you don't have something heavy in the bottom (although it's a good size for a zeppelin there).  I also need to get the main zip replaced some time soon as it jams at one corner.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=ZAG+ROLLING+WORK&PAGENUMBER=2

I just bought the stanely rolling case, used once , happy with them, got plastic shelf construct but aluminum surface board ,with drawers , not that heavy .seems solid .

i used to use a makeup rolling case for that, but only half year it just broken, it is more tiny ,compact but most of them are cheap and thin wood board after i discover when i used that. just too fragile. but lights

i am also still seeking a better design too....

My struggle has been for fly away shoots.  

Around town, I'm pretty settled into a system centered around the locally made Joker Boxes and a Pelican 1510.  

The Pelican houses my must have items (level 1) mixer, mics, a short breakaway cable, coiled boom cable, batteries for the day, extra capsules, and anything else that I use allot.  

The first Jokerbox (a 1/2 sized one) has all my more frequently used items (level 2). TC cables, fasteners, tape, lav accessories, foot felt, more batteries, a RF explorer, a longer breakaway cable.  

The bottom Jokerbox has all my "good to have" stuff (level 3).  Backup mixer, backup recorder, lav pouches with belly busters, adapters, inline pads, Aquapacs, 

The milk crate to the side has places for two boom poles, sound blankets, a canvas bag for cables, blimps and windscreens, clamps

Everything has "sub containers" that is, noting is just loose, everything is in some sort of pouch so it's easily accessible and labeled properly.  It all packs nicely and I can toss a C-Stand on top for sit downs.  

Providing the best balance that's airline compatible is tricky.  As far as bang for the storage buck, the Joker Boxes are a fine balance for me around town though.  

post-4418-0-48693200-1386993402_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-03558300-1386993426_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-29740300-1386993455_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-52852000-1386993488_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-18828400-1386993517_thumb.jp

You are well organized.  Unfortunatly i suffer from a bad case of " Japonese miniaturized syndrome " meaning that if it can be smaller and lighter i then go crazy and get it.  It also applies to my packing and i always end up with a lot less stuff then you.

But i have been looking at the Joker box for a while.  They look pretty cool to have….

I am guilty of carrying too much stuff from time to time.  It may be some sort of disease.  I'd rather wear the same pants for a week and bring an extra bag of adapters, just in case. 

I can vouch for the Joker Boxes as a useful thing to have around, and durable too.  I know the guy who builds them and he's a right awesome dude.  

• 2 months later...

Someone posted a case that makeup artists use.  I for the life of me wouldn't be able to find it now, but it looked like it might fit that happy medium of a drawer based rolling case.

One thing that occurred to me Pascal:

what if you could make a modular system that incorporated a case (that you use for travel) and a frame that you use for bigger around town jobs?  Kind of like:

post-146-0-38185200-1392566969_thumb.jpg

but smaller and made of something like 8020?

It could almost be like the new PSC cart, but without the bottom shelves:

post-146-0-26014100-1392567056_thumb.jpg

That way you have a place for your mixer bag, monitors already attached, and an easy way to mount an antenna mast, and a spot below for your case.

BTW - a usefull link for mounting some big bike tires:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/searchResult?ref=h%2Fsearch&q=aluminum+rail+clamp

post-146-0-10334900-1392567588_thumb.jpg

These are premade and cheap.  sturdy build too.  Use these to mount some tube stock for a wheel axle.  I wish I had known about these before building any of my carts - a custom piece from 8020 probably cost me 10x as much...

Crussell - that Festool stuff looks awesome!

For the record - the wood of my mini cart is made from heavily treated marine plywood - so it should survive some rain.  though, yeah, I wouldn't go pushing it around in the mud...  In hindsight, I kind of wish I made it so I could just put some milk crates in there as drawers...it would have made it crazy light!

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys.

Dominique:

1- was easy, five minutes with the proper tools.

2- Multicaisse, ask for Steve. Case is around 40-45lbs empty. So around 75lbs with gear.

3- Nomad could ( with low profile connectors for outs or disconnected ) but not 664.