Rolling case dilemma...

pvanstry

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm away right now. But the mod is simple. I bought an aluminium bar at a hardware store ( 3/8" diameter I believe ), drilled the holes used for the wheels bolts to fit the bar, bought wheels with a 3/8" hub off set so that it doesn't run on the case, measured the bar with the wheels on, cut it, drilled a little hole at the end of the bar ( each side ) to fit a little cutter pin to hold the wheels in place. That's it...

Could anyone here share experience with Dewalt’s DWST08225 Tough System Drawer Unit? (I cannot find it in a local store to see it in person)

I’m contemplating incorporating it into a small hand-truck setup.

The walls are 4mm thick, according to the product description. Reviews online say it’s “sturdy”, but I’d like to hear it from *one of us*.

(Personally, I felt that the Fatmax was a bit too flimsy for my taste).

post-2760-0-84299300-1410385973_thumb.jp

post-2760-0-71259900-1410385989_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

That's the Mobility Kit from Pelican. All the larger rolling cases have it available as an option. Your friend's doesn't seem to have it, but it comes with a pair of wheel assemblies and a "sled" near the lid portion of the case to offset the larger wheel diameter.

http://www.pelican-case.com/mobility-cases.html

Nalpak also makes a swivel caster kit, but I haven't seen them anywhere but online.

Report that the configuration I note above does not allow for the drawer case to fit into the cart so I've laterally moved it to serve as the larger tool case I need to grow into.

It's the rather cheap-feeling aluminum latches that give me pause...but so far, so good bouncing around for six weeks in a horse trailer and six weeks in a jockey box, and on like that.

The extra space at the bottom takes a block battery since I don't do over-the-shoulder shit.

• 1 month later...

Maybe try Zarges aluminum cases and they have accessories for wheel option. they are in Charlotte, NC. Note that I am a reseller if you want to go that route. i switched my cases from the normal plastic cases due to weight restrictions for international air travel. The switch saved about 50% of our plastic cases allowing us more cargo weight in the same size cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Here's my setup I've been using for about 8 months on a series. They are Home Depot brand Rigid cases.  Flying all across the U.S. They held up pretty good....got one busted wheel when picking up cases in Alaska,  but a quick- no hassle and free-  case swap at the HD was easy breezy. Fully loaded they are 30lbs for the top case and 45lbs for bottom case. The latches are a cheaper type but I just put TSA approved locks on when flying to keep them from popping open. The cases are light weight plastic, a good step below pelican but not film flam. They connect to each other via a latch system and I use connect a MSE kit stand to handle for boom holder and antennas. I am about 6' tall and with the bag on top it's a perfect height to mix from or with a tilt of the bag I'll grab a chair and sit. I really like how they come apart and snap together, if I can't roll to a site I can easily carry them and stack and snap together. 

HDcart.JPG