Early MAXX recorders need power modification

cory

I got my Maxx blackout on a shoot... End up took a overnight train to another city to grab another nomad for the shoot.

Now, my Maxx just sits in my bagpack as a backup mixer/recorder.

At the first place I would like to shrink my bag from nomad to Maxx. After the blackout, I am more confident to marry a nomad instead.

After repairing, Maxx still have some problem on the power (starter button) if I press to shut down the Maxx, sometimes it just re boot the system... I have to try 2 and 3 times re booting, then it turn off... Wired. But I can't be bothered!

As a field mixer, I would like to have more concentration on how the audio sound, than everyday worrying when my gear is burned or broken for no particular reason.

Hiro

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Hiro,

Once a unit that needs the mod has been modified it is 100%.  No unit has ever failed that has the mod. All units have shipped with the fix for the last 3 Months. In fact the MAXX is one of the best product releases we have had with only this 1 issue that was quickly identified and fixed.

Glenn

After repairing, Maxx still have some problem on the power (starter button) if I press to shut down the Maxx, sometimes it just re boot the system... I have to try 2 and 3 times re booting, then it turn off...

You need to hold the power key while Maxx counts down - if you release the power key before you see "power off" Maxx will not power down.

This is to prevent you from accidentally powering down if you unattentionally hit the power key.

Unfortunately these things happen and setting up some sort of proactive communication from the vendor *and* the manufacturer would be great.  I'm sure customers would appreciate any advance communications that would avoid them having a last minute avoidable failure requiring an overnight train ride for the back up unit.  

And also - some empathy and maybe a "sorry that happened to you, I know how frustrating that might have been, etc" would have been nice as well.  This just seems like customer service 101.

yes, +1. Or, "We apologise profusely for your machine malfunctioning with a known fault. With hindsight we made a mistake informing dealers and expecting them to sort the issue for us. We will learn from that, and if a similar issue arises in the future we will endeavour to get in touch with all the relevant customers who have registered with us, and also post clearly on zaxcom and jwsound forums, and any social media. We would like to compensate customers who had machines fail, and had to ship them back to us. As compensation for your inconvenience we will give a generous discount on your next zaxcom purchase. Thankyou"

Service 102.

Seems as if my topic has been "moderated" as the title has been changed... Though I feel that there could be more apt titles...

IMHO This thread isn't just about whether or not manufacturers should have an email list-- it is also supposed to be a heads up about a specific piece of hardware so that folks don't get burned in the field. Jeff, I'm assuming you changed the title-- I would ask that you entertain at least putting the name of the equipment in question back in the title?

The thread wandered away from the original topic so I changed it. I thought about starting a new topic, one the deals with how manufactures, dealers and users could better communicate to help avoid what happened to you with your recorder. I also felt that referring to your problem saying that your recorder became a "brick" --- this was mis-leading. When a fuse blows in a device, you could say that it behaves like a "brick" for the moment, but the problem is easily corrected. Easily corrected, of course, only if the chain of information and notification works which in your case it obviously didn't.

I hope everyone realizes that if someone posts with the title: "My brand new SD 633 died today --- what do I do?" I would also consider editing the title based on the reality of the situation as posted.

Fair enough. To be clear, I remain a big fan of Zaxcom and their products. I just want other big fans and owners to be able to avoid this situation.

I'll report back as to whether or not the problem was a simple fuse blowing once I hear from the mothership.

cory said: "I'll report back as to whether or not the problem was a simple fuse blowing once I hear from the mothership."

I was using the fuse blowing thing as an example only --- the problem you had with the recorder has been well documented and the fix is just as fundamental as replacing a fuse. The important part of the thread, I think, is the way crucial information, updates, fixes, recalls, whatever, gets to the user.

It should be noted that without proper manufacturer communications with regards to issues with their products (IMO this shouldn't be on the vendors), the most important piece of information on this thread is that this piece of gear had an issue that is easily correctable by contacting the manufacturer.

I guess the change of title doesn't change the ability to search for this thread via Google (not sure the JWS search would find it) but still the fact that the issue exists and is correctable is the most crucial nugget on this thread for owners of said gear.  The discussion regarding the manufacturer/vendor communications is a side discussion stemmed from the initial issue.

the most important piece of information on this thread is that this piece of gear had an issue that is easily correctable by contacting the manufacturer.

- after possibly having screwed up a job, that is. The other important bit of information is that a simple email list would have taken care of the problem AND save a few users of a certain recorder the embarrassment of the recorder locking up on a job.

- after possibly having screwed up a job, that is. The other important bit of information is that a simple email list would have taken care of the problem AND save a few users of a certain recorder the embarrassment of the recorder locking up on a job.

Yep, an extremely important piece of information.

Just a thought.

If, as in this case, the vendors were the only ones to REALLY know if the fix was required for a particular unit... Maybe a simple email from the manufacturer stating something to the effect of: "Such and such known issue has come to our attention. If you own [product] with serial #xxx-#yyy, please contact your vendor to see if your unit requires a repair"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a thought.

If, as in this case, the vendors were the only ones to REALLY know if the fix was required for a particular unit... Maybe a simple email from the manufacturer stating something to the effect of: "Such and such known issue has come to our attention. If you own [product] with serial #xxx-#yyy, please contact your vendor to see if your unit requires a repair"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Wyatt,

The problem is the 75% of the users that never fill out a warranty card. On top of that, email addresses get stale. Then you have customers that don't communicate with a dealer on a regular basis. JWS will get to some well informed users but not the vast majority. Getting info to users is very hit and miss and mostly miss.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Hi Wyatt,

The problem is the 75% of the users that never fill out a warranty card. On top of that, email addresses get stale. Then you have customers that don't communicate with a dealer on a regular basis. JWS will get to some well informed users but not the vast majority. Getting info to users is very hit and miss and mostly miss.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Filling out a warranty card is on a totally different level on the "laziness scale" than signing up to an email list. Especially when I only need to enter my email address and serial number.

Another factor, quite possibly, is the tremendous amount of trust we have in "our" manufacturers

Constantin: " Filling out a warranty card is on a totally different level on the "laziness scale" than signing up to an email list "

grown up people need to learn to deal with this...

and fill out the damn card, or on-line form.

there are problems with just allowing sign-ups for email lists...and they have nothing to do with laziness.

Constantin: " Filling out a warranty card is on a totally different level on the "laziness scale" than signing up to an email list "

grown up people need to learn to deal with this...

and fill out the damn card, or on-line form.

there are problems with just allowing sign-ups for email lists...and they have nothing to do with laziness.

The laziness is not mine, by the way. But there are problems with filling out warranty cards, too, regardless if they come in online or paper form. Mostly in the form of data protection. In Europe we have fairly well established warranty rules, regardless of a card, so I never fill them out. Not for laziness, but because I don't feel like divulging more info to a manufacturer than I need to.

But I don't think I should be required to fill out a warranty card just to receive info about a problem with a piece of equipment that I have purchased. Email list is quite sufficient

Constantin: " so I never fill them out. "

OK, and the rules provide that if you have a warranty problem that it will be handled, even even though you didn't fill out the card/form... but you are required to prove your eligibility for the warranty services...

If you choose to give up some privacy, and fill it out, then you will be notified, and if you protect your privacy, then not being notified is a price you may pay for that!

" But I don't think I should be required to fill out a warranty card "

but it isn't about what you think  (unless you become a manufacturer!), and "email lists" are a free-for-all, and also not necessarily effective and maybe not even suitable.

now, OTOH, folks who do complete warranty registration are, it seems to me, entitled to appropriate notifications for their registered products.

but folks have a choice, and after they make it, they live with it.

Edited by studiomprd

UPDATE: The good folks at Zaxcom have shipped out a shiny new Maxx to us, expecting to get it back tomorrow! Thanks so much for the amazing turn-around and support!

*And just so everyone who owns a Maxx and isn't sure if they have had the mod done yet-- DO IT. There was major damage done to the unit-- this is not something to toy around with. We learned the hard way and I hope you don't have to.

Hi Wyatt,

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Hey Larry,

IMHO it wouldn't hurt to maintain a list of the folks that DO fill out a warranty card-- why punish those who actually go through the trouble to do so just because there are many who don't? And as I said before, it would be major incentive to us sound mixers to register our gear if we knew it would be linked to us getting updates/warnings/recalls. Or, if one is like Constantin and doesn't like providing all that information everywhere, the option to be able to opt in to an email list seems great...

I, for one, really appreciate that sort of line of communication.