Early MAXX recorders need power modification

cory

I guess the change of title doesn't change the ability to search for this thread via Google (not sure the JWS search would find it) but still the fact that the issue exists and is correctable is the most crucial nugget on this thread for owners of said gear. The discussion regarding the manufacturer/vendor communications is a side discussion stemmed from the initial issue.

I didn't get at first what you were saying, but now that i do, I very very strongly agree and diagree.

I strongly agree that the malfunctioning recorder and the remedy IS the crucial part of this thread. And I very strongly disagree that it's sufficient to use Google to find this thread in an emergency situation. The title is crucial. If the new title of this thread came up in a list of search results, anyone looking for a solution for their problem would probably skip this thread.

Please, Jeff, turn the title back or to something more meaningful to the first part of this thread. Or split this off into two threads.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constantin: " so I never fill them out. " OK, and the rules provide that if you have a warranty problem that it will be handled, even even though you didn't fill out the card/form... but you are required to prove your eligibility for the warranty services... If you choose to give up some privacy, and fill it out, then you will be notified, and if you protect your privacy, then not being notified is a price you may pay for that! " But I don't think I should be required to fill out a warranty card " but it isn't about what you think (unless you become a manufacturer!), and "email lists" are a free-for-all, and also not necessarily effective and maybe not even suitable. .
Over here, I just have to show my purchase receipt to get the warranty. I am not talking about a free-for-all email list. I said the only info required should be the email address AND the serial number. But even if it were a totally open email-list, what's the problem? The price I pay to be eligible for product-issue info, should be the price I paid for my gear, not a card I did or didn't return

Cory: " it would be major incentive to us sound mixers to register our gear if we knew it would be linked to us getting updates/warnings/recalls "

exactly; that is a reasonable solution.

Constantin: " The price I pay to be eligible for product-issue info, should be the price I paid for my gear, "

and I disagree, as it is reasonable for you to identify yourself and thus prove your eligibility for the info and or services.  requiring more (registration) info than just an email address is a reasonable requirement.

Constantin: " The price I pay to be eligible for product-issue info, should be the price I paid for my gear, "

and I disagree, as it is reasonable for you to identify yourself and thus prove your eligibility for the info and or services. requiring more (registration) info than just an email address is a reasonable requirement.

Why does identity = eligibility? Sorry, I don't see the connection. By the way, the vendor will already have all my info and they can reference it to the serial number.

(BTW, thanks for adopting the new quoting system, Senator. Really makes it much easier).

Constantin: " I don't see the connection. "

I figured that out hours (and posts) ago.  I am not going to change your mind, and I suspect you are not going to change mine, or the manufacturers, but when you start making and selling, and supporting products, you will be free to do whatever you please, within the rules.

Constantin: " I don't see the connection. "

I figured that out hours (and posts) ago. I am not going to change your mind, and I suspect you are not going to change mine, or the manufacturers, but when you start making and selling, and supporting products, you will be free to do whatever you please, within the rules.

Exactly. Or, as my customers please.

Hi Wyatt,

The problem is the 75% of the users that never fill out a warranty card. On top of that, email addresses get stale. Then you have customers that don't communicate with a dealer on a regular basis. JWS will get to some well informed users but not the vast majority. Getting info to users is very hit and miss and mostly miss.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

The way I see it: I wouldn't fill out a warranty card. I would sign up for an email list (as long as it doesn't mean I get spammed all the time). If my email address changes and I don't update my info on that list, then it's my fault. But if there's no list to begin with (and not even a warranty card) then the blame goes to the manufacturer. I just don't understand why it hurts to provide an email list (and actually use it). It's the simplest of things and the most effective in order to get crucial(!), job-saving(!!!) info to customers. Be it just for emergency messages. Anyone can sign out if they don't like it. Just do it Zaxcom.

Zaxcom have their own forum, where this issue was never even mentioned. So a sticky there might have been a start. A further way of doing it is to require an email address to access updates to firmware. Since the updates are frequent, you are almost guaranteed to have a database of users of that specific product. You can easily inform them of updates, and more importantly of serious issues like the one here. Fobbing it off on to dealers worldwide is the weakest idea, as evidenced here.

Just fyi, you need to register on the zax forum to be able to download firmware updates...

Personaly, i was made aware of the issue on this forum. I tried contacting my dealer with no success about this and it seemed like it was not a pressing matter.

Anyhow, my Maxx is now @ Zaxcom for a couple things including the one we are discussing here.

My 0.02$ on the matter: keep yourself informed about your stuff. As far as if the manufacturer could of of done a bit more? I would say indeed...

Franky

Unfortunately these things happen and setting up some sort of proactive communication from the vendor *and* the manufacturer would be great.  I'm sure customers would appreciate any advance communications that would avoid them having a last minute avoidable failure requiring an overnight train ride for the back up unit.  

And also - some empathy and maybe a "sorry that happened to you, I know how frustrating that might have been, etc" would have been nice as well.  This just seems like customer service 101.

++++++++1

Here it is. I knew I didn't imagine it. nejama6e.jpg And the previous thread that poked at it.
Bump. Question; with utmost respect and sincerity of course. Is this live, and is there the will to begin sending email notices of updates and recommended mods to those that have "registered"? I'm confused because it appears that was the intent, and appears the idea was shelved? I've never received an email and can't confirm anyone else that signed up has either.

• 5 years later...
On 12/6/2013 at 4:03 PM, glenn said:

Yes but I do not know it until I get back to work tomorrow. I think we caught the problem around Serial 10070. The problem was that a resistor needed to be replaced with a wire jumper. If this was not done the result can be exactly what happened  here. It is easy and quick to fix on effected units by our dealers who have all been notified.

I just purchased #77, should I be worried? How can I tell if the mod has been done or not?

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I just purchased #77, should I be worried? How can I tell if the mod has been done or not?

I would say yes. Cos I got mine about 200 something, still burnt itself, and back to mothership to do the modification. You could do it yourself if you are capable with soldering.  Contact zax, they will send you the manual on how to do it.

3 hours ago, r.paterson said:

You will also want to get the rf mod done to the maxx or you will get RF spray all over your receivers..( it's a change with the tc bnc) if using the internal tx that will also need a mod done..

errr... uh oh, what?? 
Even if my Maxx doesn't have a TX built in, do I still need to do a mod to my TC BNC connector otherwise it will mess with my other RXs in my back??

Gee you guys are scaring me off my decision... 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

errr... uh oh, what?? 
Even if my Maxx doesn't have a TX built in, do I still need to do a mod to my TC BNC connector otherwise it will mess with my other RXs in my back??

Gee you guys are scaring me off my decision... 

Don't drink and buy!