New SD 633, K-Tek Bag. Testing

donhale

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both myself and Dave Fisk from K-Tek,  will be answering questions here and taking comments from whomever is interested. 

With it loaded as you see it in the photos, it weighs in at 11.2 pounds!..... Another great feature is the the retractable gray carry handles which are strong and can be retracted back into the bag when not in use..........

The weight of the bag itself if possible please?

And the handles are retractable but not detachable, is that correct?

thanks

Hi Don,  Thanks for the pics.  How tall is the pouch that wraps around the Receivers?  Are you able to adjust how the receiver sits in the pouch.  I like to be able to turn off and on my lectro receivers while in the pouch and from the pictures it seems like the top of the pouch sticks up enough above the receiver to make that difficult.  What do think?  

I am also curious how a Remote Audio BDS box that so many of us use would fit in the bag.  Especially if I had 3 or 4 receivers in the bag.

Thanks,

Andy 

Delivery date isn't set yet. I am hoping to have units in January, though, but we'll see. 

I don't like to set firm delivery dates because things can always change and sometimes there can be issues that need to be addressed all the way up to the last minute that can push delivery. 

Andy, I have a DBS box in my 664 kit, but this 633 kit has my power distribution unit that I built for my old 302 kit. There is room for the DBS unit in this bag. Its just a matter of how you want to configure it. There is plenty of configurations for great cable routing and access. 

Andy, I have a DBS box in my 664 kit, but this 633 kit has my power distribution unit that I built for my old 302 kit. There is room for the DBS unit in this bag. Its just a matter of how you want to configure it. There is plenty of configurations for great cable routing and access. 

This bag seems like it designed for 2 Receivers.  3 or 4 receivers, a BDS, and all the lav accoutrements seems like it would not fit comfortably.  Would love to see pics to show me otherwise. 

Andy 

OK. So, here are some changes to the current design based on feedback here and from beta testers:

-The main storage pouch that is inside the outer part is going to be moved to the sides. This allows us to keep that outer compartment open for things like wireless receivers, transmitters, BDS, or whatever else you want to clip there. Each side will have an external storage pouch. 

-The wireless compartment will have elastic bands sewn on to both interior walls so you can mount up to 4 wireless receivers easily inside the bag. The current pouches are too thick to allow two 411 receivers to stack easily, but elastic bands will fix this. 

-We will still include 2 of the wireless pouches anyway as a "just in case" kind of thing. This allows you to be more flexible depending on your setup. 

-The clear rain cover will have velcro on both sides of the ends so it will cover the outer compartment if you have receivers or transmitters in it. It is already long enough to work. 

-We are going to make an accessory that allows the bag to angled when you set it down. Building it into the bag will be costly and I don't know if it is something everyone will use, so if it is a separate item it will be easier for everyone, plus the changes we are making right now are easy. Building something like that into the bag is going to push delivery several weeks, and I don't want to do that. 

I want to thank our Beta testers (and Don for coming by the shop today) and everyone on here for the feedback. I'm glad we are doing it this way and your input is very valuable to us. 

This bag seems like it designed for 2 Receivers.  3 or 4 receivers, a BDS, and all the lav accoutrements seems like it would not fit comfortably.  Would love to see pics to show me otherwise. 

Andy 

Hi Andy,

The redesign will make it so you can fit up 6 receivers comfortably. I don't have a sample yet as we just discussed these redesigns today, but since we are just basically adding some simple things, and moving existing parts around it's a pretty simple change and won't take long. 

dfisk: " I don't like to set firm delivery dates because things can always change and sometimes there can be issues that need to be addressed all the way up to the last minute that can push delivery.  "

of course,  sure, that is understandable,  but when ?

It depends. 

Hi Andy,

The redesign will make it so you can fit up 6 receivers comfortably. I don't have a sample yet as we just discussed these redesigns today, but since we are just basically adding some simple things, and moving existing parts around it's a pretty simple change and won't take long.

That's great to hear Dave. Looking forward to seeing the re-design.

Andy

Glad to see the elastic added!

Also great idea on adding external pouches on the sides. Hopefully they will remain relatively flat though.

Wouldn't want too much bulk added there.

Also love the idea of being able to angle the bag. Hope its something that attaches and not just something to rest under it.

I always seem to use an NP1 on its side to angle my current bags.

Glad I'm holding off on getting a bag for my 633 so far. This thing is looking better and better as you tweak.

This is why we have this forum......collective ideas and feedback. I want to thank Dave Fisk and Brenda Parker from K-Tek for allowing me to Beta Test their new bag. What a great opportunity.

Also I would like to thank everyone who chimed in, & especially my friend Jeff Wexler for hosting, maintaining and coming up with this very worth wile site!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

You know what would be handy?  Some sort of built in contraption that we could quickly hang our boom poles onto the side of the bag while we adjust or place a mic. A clasp, velcro ring, latch, etc., I don't know.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to hand quickly hand my boom off to whomever is standing next to me, or how many times it has dropped to the ground because I didn't have a place to put it.

You know what would be handy? Some sort of built in contraption that we could quickly hang our boom poles onto the side of the bag while we adjust or place a mic. A clasp, velcro ring, latch, etc., I don't know.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to hand quickly hand my boom off to whomever is standing next to me, or how many times it has dropped to the ground because I didn't have a place to put it.

+1

I saw this one contraption on jw some years back, haven't been able to find it since, but it was supposed to be used for hammers.

Basically there were two parts : one ring clasped around the pole (or hammer) that had a little trail thing coming out of it with a ball in the end. That ball was hung to a little hook on the bag... Kinda like a guitar hanger.

Here's the one I remember;

It's on my todo list. #438.

WOW. That's really cool. We have mounting loops that go around the bag. We might make a boom pole holder that straps onto the bag so you can put it wherever you want...but that's a future thing. We have several things in the works right now, and too many irons in the fire will only slow us down. 

Looking good Dave.

I'm a big fan of having lots of ways of routing cables, slots, double zippers, secret passages, etc. I also like lots of pouches for storage.

A NP1 battery compartment I'd say is a must. Battery's can take up prime bag real estate.

I love the handles on the bag. A way to mount a boom would be badass.