What do you use for wireless sound to the director.

nossnevs

Hi
What system do you use for wireless sound for the director.
I am recording commercials with a small crew, but need to send the sound wireless
to the director.  I would normal use boom and one wireless mic on the actor.
Would you send a mono signal or both boom and wireless mic ?
I would like a small pocket system where it is possible to send a stereo signal.
And a system that can run on batteries, instead of charging system.
I would like to hear from yours experience.
I am recording on a Sound devices 664.

Thanks

I used a comtek m-216 and pr-216 system for a long time. Heard great things, personally had a bad experience with multiple comtek systems and ditched then completely. Recently upgraded to using a lectrosonics SMv in IFB mode with lectrosonics r1a receivers and love it. The system is mono, I typically choose the best source to send or

send a mix.

Hi,

A decent cheaper alternative are the sennheiser G2 / G3 systems. Whilst I wouldn't use them for talent mics, they provide more-than-acceptable monitoring quality. You can use the dedicated EK300 IEM receivers or simply a regular EK100 with a homemade stereo-to-mono summing adapter and volume control (in a nice small enclosure and stashed with the receiver in a pouch).

Hope that helps,

Dave

Cost, replacement cost, repair cost, ease of use, reasonable hardiness,  range when paired with a BST 50 Trans., they work well enough but not so well the director or Clients will ask about the trees rustling... They are for reference... you are the expert, not some guy from an Ad agency in Toledo... They can hear what is being said, and pretty well...  In all the years I have used them, never once, has anyone complained... seriously.. never once... Nobody said, " I want to hear a nicer feed"..

The people you hand them out to could care less about you, your gear, where they leave them, how they swing them around, stuff them into pockets or anything else. Handing them a IFB or any other reasonably expensive unit is a total waste and an accident waiting to happen... They are really nice pieces of gear, and along with that, more fragile. At around $550 ea. I would steer clear... in mass... 

I often have out up to 20 Comteks... I for one worry enough about finding all of those... buying $10,000  in IFBs is not my idea of a good time...

If you were to do just one for the director, for some reason, if he or she really needed a really nice feed... and could be trusted not to throw it, drop it or leave it in the jungle somewhere... OK, maybe... but for the nuthouse ... Comteks..

Comteks or 216s is all anyone needs to hear...  Spend your money on other more important things... like you, your family or other parts of your kit.

As for the G2 or G3s... The range is questionable at best...  I would not want to use them for someones monitoring unless they remain very close to the transmitter... audio going in and out will not fare well..

"In all the years I have used them, never once, has anyone complained... seriously.. never once... Nobody said, " I want to hear a nicer feed"..   AFMY's

True. Same goes for the rest of his post. We both work LA commercials. This is the so called big time in that world. Should be good enough for the rest of the world IMO.

CrewC

This is even truer.

" Spend your money on other more important things... like you, your family or other parts of your kit."

I had some issues with 72 Comteks on my TV show. Interference was rare, but when it happened it blew them out 100%. I believe it was freeway emergency call boxes or other emergency system. Switched to all Comtek 216s. But I still use 72s as extras. Range with base stations is incredible.

I agree that Lectro stuff is too fragile and too expensive to own and repair.

Robert

I use the Sennheiser EW 300 system with an IEM receiver and HD-25 headset. It works great for EFP, and the housing is strong so it can be dropped to the concrete floor without breaking.  Not everyone cares about the equipment as the owner does...

I actually had a director tell me the other day that the feed (UH400A > R1A) I gave them was the clearest wireless feed they've ever had. I stuck an extra 25% on the hire.

Jim,

All good....  

I mean this in a very funny way...  

He then asked "whats that rustling noise and humm in the track"    You answer.... It's the stuff you don't hear with the $16.00 headsets and the Comteks.. That's the Generator your crew parked on set against my wishes and advice, and the silk the wardrobe used on the talent... we are subjected to this stuff daily, you tell him, and it normally works out in the final mix... Now though... he hears it every take...

and now..... it's a distraction... When things sound great, no worries... when you are challenged with things you can't control, it can be a distraction... 

On a TV show last Summer, on one stage they rigged all the ballasts up above the set... again, against our will. It killed the quiet room... we worked it out, but if that went out on an IFB, all hell would of broke out... There was no time for a major re rig and we did not want to create a scene... A scene = attention our direction.. not always the best... Not into AGAIN arguing on set what we already told them... Can you hear it with the Comteks.... MUCH less than on an IFB... and Nice headphones..

Now he may not have the clarity with those Comteks, but again they are for dialog reference... but he or she won't be disturbed by hearing all the little things they need not be concerned with...  That's our job.....  Could it work out in our favor by having HIM rectify the issue, maybe... but most of the time, we can work it out without all the comotion...

I never felt that they needed a super clean feed.... I still stick by that approach... 

Jim?

I use Lectro because all my wireless is Lectro, the fact they're very very good is by the by.

I take your point, and for the work you do, it sounds like you made the right choice, for the work I do, I think I've made the right choice. Though any director who comments on interference, clothing rustle, hum etc etc only does it once!

Jim?

I use Lectro because all my wireless is Lectro, the fact they're very very good is by the by.

I take your point, and for the work you do, it sounds like you made the right choice, for the work I do, I think I've made the right choice. Though any director who comments on interference, clothing rustle, hum etc etc only does it once!

Sorry Jon....  Have not had breakfast.....  LOL..

You must work with nice polite directors....  Me, not so much... ::)

nossneves: " I would like a small pocket system where it is possible to send a stereo signal. "

musicians IEM systems...Zaxcom, Comtek's, Lectro's...

all frequently discussed here...

where have you been ?

and all the good reasons we each apply,  and yes, I still have use for my "plain old 72"{ Comtek's, too!

David, keep your eyes open for a Comtek  BST 50b transmitter...  Super range, adjustable freq.   They work great...

The BST 50b is a great transmitter. But for use with the old-style 72 receivers, I would recommend the BST-75.

http://comtek.com/bst-75/

It's a current product; you don't have to hunt it up used. It handles multiple frequencies (one at a time, of course), it's programmable and its output is 120 mW so it provides excellent range even with the older receivers.

It's very compact and, like the BST-50b, it can be rack-mounted.

LSC lists it for $614.95, not much more than you would expect to pay for a used BST-50b.

http://www.locationsound.com/wireless-108/ifb-115/comtek-bst-75-synthesized-base-station-transmitter---72-76-mhz-1425

(Similar prices, I expect, from Audio Department, Trew, etc.)

David