Latency on new iOS devices with Teradek Cube 155

Ace

Hi

I've been researching quiet a lot on wireless video solutions and found out that the Teradek Cube 155 might be the best solution there is at the moment for  boom op. reality, documentary ect. 

It seems that the latency that there is, happens in the receiver (the iOS device). My question is: with the so much faster processors and wi-fi parts in the latest models, compared to the earlier, iPhone 4, iPad1 ect, Does anybody know the latency when the Cube is used as a stand alone device with a direct connection to the latest i-devices?

And is it possible to use it with audio, as IFB? or are there still a lot more latency when sound is being embedded to the wi-fi signal?

Will the use of more than one iOS device on the same Cube 155 signal increase the latency?

I hope that there is some users out there that knows about this.

Thank you very much

I just got off a realty show with 2 teradeck cube 155. Here are the Teradeck setting I'm aware that we used.

240i

15 frames per second

Infrastructure mode

These setting were fast enough to mix with.

We had to log into a dedicated wifi network that was established at the beginning of show....this is know as "infrastructure" mode. It worked great, here's what I discovered.

Infrastructure mode allows users to simultaneously view more than one stream when using the teraview app. This worked great as long as your iOS device has the newer chips. Older devices, or devices with older chips (newest iPod touch, iPad mini (non-retina) don't allow for 2 video steams simultaneously.

The director had an iPhone 5s, which worked great. My iPhone 5 worked fine, and the iPod touch and iPad mini worked, but not as well and only allowed for one steam.

The newest iPad mini with retina, iPad air, and iPhone 5s are the best options.

At any given point we would have 2 laptops streaming both teradecks, the director on his iPhone, me on my iPhone, and a pa on 2 iPad mini's to view both streams. Never changed the latency.

Hi

I've been researching quiet a lot on wireless video solutions and found out that the Teradek Cube 155 might be the best solution there is at the moment for  boom op. reality, documentary ect. 

It seems that the latency that there is, happens in the receiver (the iOS device). My question is: with the so much faster processors and wi-fi parts in the latest models, compared to the earlier, iPhone 4, iPad1 ect, Does anybody know the latency when the Cube is used as a stand alone device with a direct connection to the latest i-devices?

And is it possible to use it with audio, as IFB? or are there still a lot more latency when sound is being embedded to the wi-fi signal?

Will the use of more than one iOS device on the same Cube 155 signal increase the latency?

I hope that there is some users out there that knows about this.

Thank you very much

Hey Ace,

Production Houston did a good job summing it up, but here are my 2 cents:

1. Latency is as low as 4 to 5 frames to iOS devices and decoders. Here is a recent test using the Teradek Clip: 

2. Audio is embedded into the stream over SDI, HDMI, or via the analog audio input. It does not increase latency. IFB is also possible, though it is only one way and requires use of our free Sputnik server.

3. Latency will not increase with more iPad connections, but there are limitations. For example, a Cube can take up to 3 iOS connections at one time as long as the main stream is disabled. If you connect any more, then latency will increase. If you have a high quality main stream going, then only 2 iPads or so can connect to the Cube.

If you have any further questions, just shoot me an email: Mike @ Teradek [dot] com

Used one on children's TV Doco series. Using it stand-alone with latest firmware the latency caught up to be 4-5 frames; was longer when first powered on then finished at around that rate.

The delay was fine for the directors - it would do my head in.

This version better than previous - still needs to be power cycled at intervals