MS recording with a 744t

Simon Paine

Hi gang,

I want to do some MS recording with my 744t.

What I would like to do is be able to record a decoded MS signal (Left and right) to 2 tracks of the recorder, but send the non decoded tracks (Mid and Side) to the 2 other tracks. Anyone know if this is possible ?

From what i understand in the user guide, as soon as you set the recorder for MS recording, it sends the the decoded tracks only.

I also figured out that if I use my 442 in front of the recorder, I could send prefade signals to tracks 3 and 4 independantly, but I would really rather just take the 744t with me, to travel light.

Any suggestions ?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about this technique, but I thought the value of the MS recording is the ability to decode later.  If you are decoding before the recording by setting the 744T in that mode, then aren't you eliminating the option to decode later?  Can't you send the mics to tracks AB and set the headphone monitor for MS monitoring to hear what a basic decoding would sound like?

Robert

Guest klingklang

You can convert between MS and XY back and forth as much as you want to. Each one turns into the other by sending it through the same matrix.

Recording MS and XY at the same time in a way is a waste of space because they are equivalent. The only thing you gain is that you can give XY to a editor who has no idea what MS is and how to handle it. But then you could have recorded XY in the first place and turn it back into MS after th film has been edited. You could use tracks 3&4 for something more usefull then.

I don't know much about this technique, but I thought the value of the MS recording is the ability to decode later.  If you are decoding before the recording by setting the 744T in that mode, then aren't you eliminating the option to decode later?  Can't you send the mics to tracks AB and set the headphone monitor for MS monitoring to hear what a basic decoding would sound like?

Robert

Hi gang,

I want to do some MS recording with my 744t.

What I would like to do is be able to record a decoded MS signal (Left and right) to 2 tracks of the recorder, but send the non decoded tracks (Mid and Side) to the 2 other tracks. Anyone know if this is possible ?

From what i understand in the user guide, as soon as you set the recorder for MS recording, it sends the the decoded tracks only.

I also figured out that if I use my 442 in front of the recorder, I could send prefade signals to tracks 3 and 4 independantly, but I would really rather just take the 744t with me, to travel light.

Any suggestions ?

I did that setup, but needed my 442. Post loved it. They could use the decoded version if they wanted to, or adjust the depth with the non-decoded version. Worked great!

744 XLR input 1&2 could be your mic input to be decoded M/S

TA3 output(line level) of 744 set to Input 1,2 and sent to the Line level Input 3,4

If I understand it the Output TA3's would be prefader, non-decoded M/S, right?

Would that work?

*well actually it would be post fader, but not sure if it comes right after the fader, pre-M/S decode... Matt?

**did the test myself, out of curiosity, and it doesn't work. It's post-M/S, also. Although that ability would be helpful.