Sending 2-Audio Tracks to Canon 5D

Need an answer to what I'm hoping is not too dumb of a question. My camera guy for these upcoming commercial shoots has sworn that he's operated his 5D with two individual tracks of audio. I don't see it being possible with just one mic input. Can it be accomplished via a splitter or a beachtek perhaps? Thanks!

Need an answer to what I'm hoping is not too dumb of a question. My camera guy for these upcoming commercial shoots has sworn that he's operated his 5D with two individual tracks of audio. I don't see it being possible with just one mic input. Can it be accomplished via a splitter or a beachtek perhaps? Thanks!

Yes, Beachtek, JuicedLink, etc

There a million posts and threads on here and other forums answering your question. Do a search. Don't expect other people to do your homework for you.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

There a million posts and threads on here and other forums answering your question. Do a search. Don't expect other people to do your homework for you. Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials. www.matthewfreed.com

I did a two hour search and couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for, that is the reason why I posted here. Thanks for the excellent help.

"SoundGuyATL" We all like to be on a first name basis here so if you can out your info in your signature it would be appreciated also please visit the "Who I am Today" thread and post a little about yourself. 

Sending Audio to a DSLR camera is always dicey you'd be smart to run recorder too 

This adapter cable has two mono L & R female 3.5mm jacks to a stereo 3.5mm male plug.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/Audio-Y-Cables-Y-Cables/TecNec/Y-MPS-2MF.xhtml

Audio recorded to a DSRL does not sound very good no matter what you use.

Don't say we didn't warn you.

Oh I completely agree and am using my seven series for recording but this "DP" promised the client they could use the camera audio. I've almost convinced the client to scrap this idea but I need to cover my ass in case I can't fully convinced them.

Canon 5D manual here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007348/02/eos5dmkiii-im2-c-en.pdf

I believe using any still camera for audio is a very bad idea. I think it works well for a scratch track, but that's all. The Beachtek is OK and can do an acceptable job, but I don't like the mic preamps in any of these little $300 boxes:

http://www.beachtek.com/products/hdslr/dxa-slr-mini-2/

Keep your 7-series SD recorder going at all times, and encourage the clients to use your tracks and sync them up once the shoot is over.

SoundGuyATL: " I did a two hour search and couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for, "

I did say RTFM, didn't I ??

it is pretty basic that about every dSLR (and other) camcorders accept 2 channels of audio on the mini-TRS...

how did you miss that ?

feel free to stay anonymous, and save yourself the embarrassment...

Edited by studiomprd

"I did say RTFM, didn't I ??

it is pretty basic that about every dSLR (and other) camcorders accept 2 channels of audio on the mini-TRS...

how did you miss that ?

feel free to stay unanimous, and save yourself the embarrassment..."

Perhaps he did feel total agreement Mike but I can't see how you would miss that? ;D 

I did a two hour search and couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for, that is the reason why I posted here. Thanks for the excellent help.

You searched for two hours and couldn't find an answer to a very basic question that has been covered here, in the manual, and on other forums ad nauseam?

I just did a quick search with these words "canon 5d audio input channels" and the first result answers your question. I didn't even bother to read the other results because the first one did it.

You aren't looking for help. You're looking for someone to do your work for you.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com