Early Radio Mic in the 60's

Phil D

I owned a slightly different version of this wireless--my first, bought used in the mid 1970s.  Pretty noisy, but the range at that time was pretty usable.  It was an interesting rig, in that the transmitter was solid state, but I think there some tubes in the receiver.  In addition to the speaker mounted in the front, mine also had a "cat's eye" tuning meter--very sexy!  I used this both for mics and for electric guitars for a time.  It's on the list of gear I wish I hadn't sold--it was a cool looking thing.  Very expensive when it was new.

That perf of Sister Rosetta was great.  Well done production for the time--good band mix, decent if a little distorted vox from that funky wireless.   Even though that old VHF wireless didn't have great range, wasn't diversity etc there was so much less RF junk in the air then that this kind of thing could work.  The visible cable is for her mic--a big dynamic lav on her coat up by her mouth.  The antenna for this transmitter was just a long piece piece of wire.

philp

post-17-0-96702900-1387130390_thumb.gif

I want one of the "cars eye tuners".

We don't get any cool gear like that!

I have a vision of some poor A2 apprentice tracking the receiver along on a trolley, out of shot.

I imagine that the end audio quality would be somewhat variable?

What would one of these units have cost, comparatively in the day, Philip?

I worked with the first Audio Ltd VHF radio mikes in 1965/66 used for theatre work and on 2001 (Kubric's film)

When I joined ATV Network in 1966 they had developed their own VHF radio mike with quite small transmitters

but the receiver was the size of a microwave oven and with a large ground plane aerial.

Quality with a dynamic neck mike either an RCA BK44 or an AKG D109 (both on lanyards) was not astounding and no good

therefore for drama or vocalists

Gee do I feel so lucky today with my 10 Lecros!!!!!!!!

mike

I thought of you when I saw this Mike.

I note the price of the Sony was $250. When adjusted for inflation that would convert to $1800 in today's value.

So in effect the cost was reasonable for cutting edge technology, although there is no doubt that we are now getting much more value for money!

Phil: " there is no doubt that we are now getting much more value for money! "

I'm not sure if I could agree...

when these were new, they were the best technology available and served well in the more limited extreme circumstances, compared to the current 125% routine dependence on them we seem to have today...

They weren't routine, but they were sometimes day-savers.