Tinnitus

soundrolling

I have worked with my ears for the past 30 years and have been lucky enough to have them still in pretty good condition (given the first 10 or so years was rock and roll based). The only damage was a result of off hours abuse; still so slight the audiologist could barely measure it. I have always tried to be sensible in what and how I do things; common sense in some ways. Never monitor at high levels for extended times and "rest" your ears when you can; resist the urge to turn up the volume at the end of a long day - I know what level I set my phones at and that's my reference - period.

And to state the obvious if you think you are starting to different from any hearing related health problem get it looked at straight away.

I have started taking Magnesium, NAC, and Alpha Lipoic acid specifically for my ears. My tinnitus and hyperacusis are under control and my hearing is pretty good. I mostly just have trouble understanding people in noisy environments. I think that from years of sound exposure I've probably lost a few of the high frequency cilia. This can cause hyperacusis since there are less hair cells to absorb the sound pressure. I have to be careful with loud sounds but I believe the supplements have made a difference. I'm not as sensitive as I used to be and my tinnitus does not flare up as much. I even had recurring pain in my left ear from sound exposure and this has gone away too. 

Also do not listen to headphones at high volumes for extended periods of time. Sony MDR-7506 are fatiguing, but they are my first choice for location recording. I just try to keep the volume as low as possible. It sucks when a really loud, sudden sound gets picked up and you get blasted -- so be careful with the volume on the headphones.

Excessive caffeine in the diet can also worsen things by giving a sense of hearing acuity and stamina to listen for long hours... that we pay for later.

It would be great if stem cell therapy became legal and mainstream in the US. Apparently there is some research showing that it can be used to reverse hearing loss from noise exposure.

For 2014 one thing I'm buying to help reduce ear fatigue and the levels that I need to monitor at is to buy custom IEM's to use as an alternative to my Sennheiser headphones. I've already had the molds made, two brands I'm looking at are JH Audio JH10X3 and the Etymonic ER-4. They can reduce ambient noise by -26dB so your monitoring levels are inherently lower. May not be as easy to filp on and off like regular cans but if they preserve my hearing I'm willing to work with that.

For 2014 one thing I'm buying to help reduce ear fatigue and the levels that I need to monitor at is to buy custom IEM's to use as an alternative to my Sennheiser headphones. I've already had the molds made, two brands I'm looking at are JH Audio JH10X3 and the Etymonic ER-4. 

I own the ER-4's, and be warned that the cables are extremely microphonic: one turn of your head, and you hear a lot of "thumps" in the audio. They're great if you don't move. Not so good if somebody walks up next to you and wants to talk.

I use the er4's as my primary headphones. The cable is extremely microphonic as Mark points out, but I'm able to pretty much stop it by looping the cable over the to of my ear. They stock out too much to put a hat over in the winter also.

However, i listen at lower levels, and the amount of ear fatigue i experience had dropped drastically. I'm working on a construction show atm, and with saws and drills around me constantly, my ears feel fine at the end of the day. Custom molds are a must.

• 3 weeks later...

Fury has posted here, on this subject, but another interest level, tangentially related, is "listener fatigue," which, conventionally, has multifactorial etiologies.  are there dicta or best practices/union guidelines, that address such fatigue and its unattenuated sequelae?  Some headend curve adjustments, etc.?

Thank you very much

Fury

Tinnitus only effects me when I'm tired, had too much coffee or a bit stressed.

Thankfully the holy trinity doesn't strike very often..

Listener Fatigue?

Turn the sound down or try another mixer with a smoother h/p amp? I use a SQN mixer and find I can do 12hr days with cans on and my ears are fine. For one client I use their SD mixers and get sore ears at the end of the day. After discussing with another local mixer it would seem I'm not alone. YMMV.

Grant.