Maxx vs 633

RadoStefanov

The 633 has more powering options, a second card slot, 4 more tracks, 2 more analog inputs, the ability to record mp3s and more output busses. Maxx has one more full sized XLR, and far more routing options. Size and weight with external power only are pretty close, Maxx has that optional built in transmitter, but otherwise a lot of the differences in user experience are built around different design philosophies in the hardware and software. Unless you need built in mp3 recording or more robust routing, pick the machine that you best like using.

I'm glad this feature has been added but when I last used Maxx it was not available. From the release notes:

1.18 Sep 4

added Post-Fader modes to RECORD ROUTING page
fixed HPF filter interacting with NeverClip
added blinking record LED when not mirroring (in Warnings Setup menu)

Like I said though, these updates are something that I really like about Zaxcom and I had hoped/expected this to be added and had a very pleasant experience with Maxx.

I am not sure where you got your information from but Maxx can most certainly record Iso tracks as both pre and/or post fade. And it has from day one.

This is taken from page 20 of the user manual:

resonate,

Unfortunately We did not record.

I will be happy to do a detailed sound comparison when my buddy gets his 633.

That's a shame. We are sound recordists, after all :-) I really look forward to zaxcom/sd preamps comparison on my studio monitors. When you do the comparison, don't be shy to try recording an instrument with it too - a shaker, or a piano, maybe you have some kid's cymbals laying around. I know we mainly record voice but some sound effects , especially when limiter kicks in - like door slams would also be perfect for a never clip 'advantage' presentation. Merry Christmas everyone. 

Did your father compare his inventions publicly to a competitor's product and tell everyone how much better his invention was?

Yep. Wouldn't that be the point? "This is why we do it this way". When you are part of an innovative company, you have to explain why you are doing what you are doing. In terms of direct comparison to competition, that's a marketing decision. That applies to Apple or KTek or Sound Devices or Lectrosonics or Zaxcom or Tesla or .... Whatever. Some have a policy to never mention competition, some do side by side comparisons. I know that's more of an American thing, and flat out isn't allowed in TV commercials in some countries. In the US it's more of an individual company decision and not government mandated rules.

Side note: My Dad invented a medical product, so his sense of urgency was different.

Not to derail this thread. Just my opinions. I like the mix of actual field users and somebody speaking for the company with accurate info.

This thread is rather strange. Why Rado, why? Who cares really?

But I will say, the few times my 788's have had a freeze in all the years I've owned them, I have never lost the entire take like you say SD recorders do. The files have been intact up to the point of freeze. Never any issues there.

And you could count the freezes on one hand in many years of recording, so no big deal.

Remembering all recorders have freezes, even those from all manufacturers.

These digital machines are still not dependable like the Nagra was----the device you record on should be the least of your worries.

J.D.

I think in the digital age, even the concept of dependability has changed. A recorder like the Nagra, discrete electrical components, solid, well thought out and machined mechanicals, will always be more dependable than our software driven "computers" we use today. In all fairness, however, the recorders today are performing functions and have features that the old analog recorders could never have. Ever try and jam sync wirelessly multiple digital cameras from your Nagra III? I don't think so.

There is anew kind of dependability and predictability that digital devices do bring to our world, but it requires diligently overseeing firmware updates, software de-bugging, system setup parameters and so forth. 

These digital machines are still not dependable like the Nagra was----the device you record on should be the least of your worries.

J.D.

While the track record of the Nagra is well established it is important to note that Nagras needed periodic maintenance  and calibration. The MAXX and NOMAD are zero maintenance machines without any parts that will ware out or require calibration.   

The other thing to look at as we did when we developed our recorders was to make digital recording exactly like tape in many regards. To do this we made MARF record to the media in a linear way just like tape. We then eliminated the need for a directory to access the material. Without this type of reliability I am not sure digital recording would of taken off as fast as it did for the professional sound world.

Since all of our recorders record 2 copies of the audio at the same time with MARF protecting one of the copies I would say that our recorders have surpassed the Nagra standard. 

This is not to take away from the Nagra achievement . It is incredible to me to look at the Nagra I have in my office and realize what Kuldelski did with the technology of the day. I am inspired by it.

Glenn

My Nomad locked up the other day, just so you know. A quick reboot fixed it and I've been unable to replicate a problem. It's a wonderful product but there's no need to claim it's perfect.

Also, far be it from me to tell you how the Nomad works, but doesn't it write MARF on one card and then convert to BWF on the other card? So it isn't simultaneously recording in two places, just immediately creating a backup. Which is great, and a big selling point for me, but not the same.

JRDnnn: " These digital machines are still not dependable like the Nagra was "

that may be your opinion, but it is not universally shared...

JW: " there really are few horror stories to tell "...

but there are some (I've had them, too)...

but considering how simplistic those units were to today's systems, I still cannot agree with JRD's hypothesis...

GS@Zax: " Nagras needed periodic maintenance  and calibration. "

not insignificant, and as parts wore out and needed regularly schedules replacement, my annual cost of ownership of a Nagra recorder was more than many folks are spending on toy recorders, and even some toy HD cameras...

This is simply not an accurate comparison, too many things not mentioned between products....here's just a few.

1. MP3 (without a crutch)

2. Compare using "present" (non-beta) firmware.

As Johnpaul started to mention, users that report with accuracy is preferred; accuracy affects credibility.

Zax v SD - the sequel. These discussions are, let's face it, like the salt on JWSoundgroup. Everytime a new thread like this one gets started, you can be sure people will comment, even if all has been said. Just like you can be sure people are going to watch the next Batman movie. If Jeff made money by posts, Zax v SD would always be a safe bet. Who knows, one day someone might even write a screenplay about the history between these two...