Newbie Question: what lectros are you running?

Victor Nguyen

I run smqv's transmitters for the longer battery life, variable output power ( you can boost the range by going from 50mw to 250mw ) and they run on aa batteries.

I chose srb recievers because they can take two tx on one unit.

I m very pleased with the performance and features of this combo.

Zaxcom wireless is also a choice to be considered.

Talk to your local professional vendor.

Cheers!

I run smqv's transmitters for the longer battery life, variable output power ( you can boost the range by going from 50mw to 250mw ) and they run on aa batteries.

I chose srb recievers because they can take two tx on one unit.

SMQV are also much smaller than 400A correct? I think this will be the combo I'm going with

Welcome Victor....

Now...Put on some sort of fire suit .... Right away....LOL

LOL Why? You don't have to welcome me. I been here for a whole year... I just have a lot more to learn :P

I have 2 SMV with battery / DC eliminators for when used as hop transmitters.  Also a pair of WM for special water applications.  2 SRb5P for hop receivers and also a Quadbox in case I want to use them in the bag for talent receivers.  Back when I had the D4 system, loved that for its fidelity and excellent range, along with Quadra receiver for boom op monitor - sold it to afford the SR system though.

There's tons and tons of good options, all boiling down to cost, performance, and features. "Most popular" means different things to different people.

My advice is to go out and rent a few different models, brands, and vintages of wireless transmitters and receivers and see what works for you and your budget. Older Lectro 211's still work very well and are very affordable, all over eBay. The Sennheiser G3 wireless is also popular for modest-budget applications.

The actors I work with like the SMa (now SMV) transmitters because they're small and get out of the way more easily than the older series. Comparable Zaxcom TRX900-series transmitters are also very small. Both have very good sound quality. 

There's tons and tons of good options, all boiling down to cost, performance, and features. "Most popular" means different things to different people.

Thanks Marc. I know with Wireless cost is proportional to performance and features. Cost is not that much of a hindrance for me. Like I said I'm trying to get a tally. I was hoping more people would use 211 series so far no one is using it.

I've got a mix of UMs, MM400b, and SM.

I've had a few UM's get damaged by sweat or water so I've gone pretty much over to MM's for my talent mics.  I have the SM for when I want something really tiny.

UM's get used mainly for Hops with the SRb.

Everything is 400 series and all my receivers are 411a's.   

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Similar to the others...sm and mm talent transmitters, um for camera links. 411 receivers in bag SR for camera.

In addition to this, I have just bought a 211 set from ebay as spare / backup / extra set, as performance is great for the value, especially for just occassional use.

If I were to change anything, would most likely swap 2x 411's for a SR receiver for the bag.

I have owned pretty much all of lectrosonics systems over the years and now run 3x SRBS with SMQVS and UM400s. I also have

a Venue system on my Cart and two quadboxs with 210d.....Still one of my favorite recievers...bullet proof great range and I like the sound.

I use SMQVs for the above stated reasons, but I use UCR411a and SRb receivers. I think that SRb's are good for bag work, and if you are at a cart you can do like Ton Visser does and put them in a quad box or some other Antenna distro/amp system for use with more heavy duty antennas in cart mode.

411a's are pretty awesome on their own, but can get heavy/bulky in a bag

Also, remember don't buy lectro blocks 27,28 or 29

J.D.

and maybe not 24,25, and 26 for now right? heard they're in danger of being auctioned. It seems like I'll go for srb and pair of smqv. I don't understand the benefits of 411s. They only cost $400 less than SRB and they don't have dual channel.

i've got a mix of 411a's and srb's. my 411's are my go-to's but pending the job i may decide to go with srb's. i make that choice based on location, type of shoot and potential for range needs. i've got 2 srb's on 21 i use as camera hops, also my maxx has block 21 camera link and i use a rx900s with that. transmitters, i'm all smv/smqv but i do own 2 wm transmitters as well.

Victor Nguyen: " I'm a newbie so pardon the stupid question. "

sorry I'm late...

Actually, Victor, you have been around here for quite some time now (well over a year!), so you ought to have had the chance to read the threads, and do your own research, as this is discussed on a pretty continuous basis...

"Now I just want a tally of what people use. "

Oh, grow up...

that isn't how you decide on these things...the reasons there are different possibilities available is that people have different desires, priorities, and needs, in their equipment choices...

why don't you contact our usual suspects, rental departments, as that will be important in validating your "tally"...

BTW aren't you a camera dude ?

Seriously, the Lectro 211's are the best bang for the buck.They have the main features of the 411's and are work horses.

J.D.

Hi Victor,

+1 on 211's. Will be factory supported for years.

SMQv is moderately smaller than UM400a not "much smaller".

SM series are sealed but not watertight but still better than UM400 on over heated talent, particularly if you use that pesky boot on the mic plug.

With compatibility modes, you can mix and match, used with not so used, as time goes on.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics