Newbie Question: what lectros are you running?

Victor Nguyen

BTW, what's wrong with a video guy wanting to get better sound? I guess I'm an anomaly where I would spend more money in sound than video.

I think the reason why it was brought up is because of the "stay in your department" mentality. If you're a camera guy, do that. If you're a sound guy, do that. Doing both is a compromise of interests and quality.

If you're willing to spend more money on sound, spend that money on hiring a kickass sound guy who already knows which gear will work the best for each gig. That way you can focus on camera and s/he can focus on sound.

I haven't really followed many of your posts though, so my apologies if I'm misinterpreting how you operate.

VN: " Anyway thank you everyone for answering. "

As a camera dude, I guess reading the spec's and information on the Lectro Website, to figure out what you want/need is beneath you...

sorry, you also said you are a newbie, but you are not, really.... you have read here before, and posted here before.

I guess the folks who responded were happy to do your homework for you, and I hope you are happy with their choices for you.

VN: " Anyway thank you everyone for answering. "

As a camera dude, I guess reading the spec's and information on the Lectro Website, to figure out what you want/need is beneath you...

sorry, you also said you are a newbie, but you are not, really.... you have read here before, and posted here before.

I guess the folks who responded were happy to do your homework for you, and I hope you are happy with their choices for you.

Mike I have done my research sir. But reading all the specs does not mean I have the experience. You guys have the experience. Before I started this thread I was leaning toward SRB and SMQV. the 211/200c was in the back of my mind because of how cheap it is. I know 200 series is analogue and I understand it has some fallacies. I never worked with them before and can't compare them to newer lectros. You guys have the experience and through this thread I figure out that most of you do not think that 200 series are up to snuff for the type of work you do.

Thanks to this thread, it confirmed my thoughts that the SRB and SMQV is a good combination to go with. 411/400a combo are also good for me if I can get it for a good price. This thread also draw my attention to the water tight lectros. I need to do more research on them.

I think the reason why it was brought up is because of the "stay in your department" mentality. If you're a camera guy, do that. If you're a sound guy, do that. Doing both is a compromise of interests and quality.

If you're willing to spend more money on sound, spend that money on hiring a kickass sound guy who already knows which gear will work the best for each gig. That way you can focus on camera and s/he can focus on sound.

I haven't really followed many of your posts though, so my apologies if I'm misinterpreting how you operate.

So here's the deal. Currently I'm a wedding videographer. It's my bread and butter and how I make a living. I work under a company and I'm extremely tired of crappy sound quality or problems that we don't know of until we look back at the files. I don't know if this count as research to you Mike but I have spent 30 minutes yesterday browsing this thread:

A year ago I was video first and audio second. As I learn more about sound I found out that I enjoy it more. My end goal is to make a living as a sound mixer and video can be a hobby :)

VN: " I know 200 series is analogue and I understand it has some fallacies. "

What fallacies ??  it is an older series, and thus not as new as the Digital Hybrid stuff, but you should have easily figured out for yourself (it might have required more than 30 minutes) that Lectro 200's were (not long ago) the cat's meow for many years, and remain popular and in use, more than adequate for many of us, and particularly for your current work, and beyond.

Not only is the SRb and other 400/SM series newer technology, but there are various form factors (including waterproof models) for differing requirements; my requirements are no doubt different than yours.  In fact these differing requirements are why there are different models (DOH!)...

there is nothing wrong with a camera dude wanting good --better-- audio, but your requirements as primarily a wedding videographer are probably different than many of ours, and you really should figure out what you want, need, and can afford, and make your own decision, not just make a practically useless tally...

Edited by studiomprd

I use SMQVs for the above stated reasons, but I use UCR411a and SRb receivers. I think that SRb's are good for bag work, and if you are at a cart you can do like Ton Visser does and put them in a quad box or some other Antenna distro/amp system for use with more heavy duty antennas in cart mode.

411a's are pretty awesome on their own, but can get heavy/bulky in a bag

Just to make sure this isn't misunderstood: the Lectro Quadbox is not an antenna distro, just power. It's more of a receiver holder

Just to make sure this isn't misunderstood: the Lectro Quadbox is not an antenna distro, just power. It's more of a receiver holder

Correct. And it brings audio out on the side with standard XLR's. Still, nothing you couldn't do with a small bundle  of cables and some gaffer's tape.

Larry F

Lectro

VN:  "I know 200 series is analogue and I understand it has some fallacies." 

What "fallacies"?  I have extensive experience with the 200 series and am not aware of your claimed "fallacies."  Plus, the 400 series is hybrid, which means it's part analog.  By the way, audio itself is analog.  Digital is just a numerical representation of analog audio that needs to ultimately be converted back to analog to be heard.  Working within the digital realm has its value, but Digital is NOT a magic word. 

VN:  "...most of you do not think that 200 series are up to snuff for the type of work you do."

I strongly disagree with this statement.  The 200 series Lectrosonics are very much "up to snuff" for any type of work and I don't know of many pros who would claim otherwise.  The most limiting factors with wireless are the mics, which are optimized for size, and the compromises of where they're mounted.

You've done a quick poll and now you're making assumptions -- and not very savvy ones IMO.  

I love this forum : )...

So Victor, perhaps you see why I posted what I did... in any case, I think it's great you're aspiring to make a turn towards the Dark Side -- being highly skilled in both areas is also an option, though time and IQ as well as market saturation are all factors one must consider.

There's nothing wrong with a "camera guy" taking more than a passing interest in Sound - it shows dedication to the "filmmaking" craft as a whole, and will ultimately only make you more marketable... providing you maintain a healthy attitude... and don't get in over your head and completely blow it on a gig - reputations are hard to "un-forge".

Anyhow, FWIW... thanks for not taking an adversarial stance when presented with replies and comments that might seem a bit on the derisive side -- there's a lot of experience (and truth) in most of what you'll read here on JWSound, regardless of the tone with which it is sometimes delivered ;)

Giod luck to you in all your aspirations,

~tt