Ambient Insider's tips VSLOT, UMP II, PTM, ...

TimoK

Timo,

Thanks for the further info and prices.  It's good to hear of Ambient's improved distribution inroads.  Several of the "usual suspects" are dealers who frequent this forum and will likely have followed this thread, etc., so hopefully that will help.  Being a small community has its advantages as well as drawbacks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timo:

I have had very little trouble getting information or stock issues on most of the Ambient products with "Trew Audio". My boom op's use your boom poles with the QRT quicklok and the QRTT's. I also have two of the QWB's that I use with the UMP II as my wireless boom set up. I like the LED's for a quick check of power settings and battery strength. My only criticism I would have with them is in the TA3 cables. I have had to replace mine twice as they seem to be a little weak at the connector end.

Bill

Timo, I'm loving the UMP and QWB! It's exactly what I was describing in on this site.

However I would love it if there was a version of the QWB that allows you to mount the UMP and transmitter on the other end of the pole much in the same way as the K-Tek KTA2 does. One thing I don't want to be adding to the end of an already heavy pole is more weight; a fully extended pole with full wind protection recording a 15 minute take can bring a grown man to tears! If the QWB, UMP and TX could be mounted in the bottom section of the boom pole (via internal cable) perhaps between where the boom op's hands would be while booming, it would be free from the RF damping from the TX being close to the body but also mean the boom is not tethered to the operators body meaning you can pick up and put down the boom quickly with out having to unclip the belt-clip and find a safe place for the QWB. When booming I often find I need to quickly put the boom down to adjust talent wireless between takes which is a bit of a hassle with my current MM-1 wireless boom setup.

ive been using the Rean connecters for as long as i have been able to get them, and have had no problems.

i must have wired nearly 50 DPAs with these for lectrosonics and have heard of no issues. the trick is to put a bit of heatshrink over the cable where it is clamped as the cable on its own isnt thick enough for it to get a secure grip.

I'm a little suspicious of these Rean connectors. Had some DPA lavs with Rean TA5fs and they died very quickly.

Hi Christian,

Rean is a subdivision of Neutrik so no reason for suspiciousness.

Timo:

It would appear it is in the cable right at the connector. I'm having the cable replaced and using the original connector. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put down the UMP II. I own two of them. It is impressive how long the two double A batteries last. 

Bill

Hmm, strange. I would like to take a look at your cable. If you would send me your contact details to timo@ambient.de I will have yours replaced by Redding so we can take a look and sort out if it was just the "one in a million" or not... ;)

Timo, I'm loving the UMP and QWB! It's exactly what I was describing in on this site.

However I would love it if there was a version of the QWB that allows you to mount the UMP and transmitter on the other end of the pole much in the same way as the K-Tek KTA2 does. One thing I don't want to be adding to the end of an already heavy pole is more weight; a fully extended pole with full wind protection recording a 15 minute take can bring a grown man to tears! If the QWB, UMP and TX could be mounted in the bottom section of the boom pole (via internal cable) perhaps between where the boom op's hands would be while booming, it would be free from the RF damping from the TX being close to the body but also mean the boom is not tethered to the operators body meaning you can pick up and put down the boom quickly with out having to unclip the belt-clip and find a safe place for the QWB. When booming I often find I need to quickly put the boom down to adjust talent wireless between takes which is a bit of a hassle with my current MM-1 wireless boom setup.

Ed,

what we already offer for ages comparable to the KTA2 is the QAPL . I will post a picture later how it looks with a HM.

Yes, get new poles so I can use a $31 accessory. You seem to think I work for the government. <G>

I'm looking forward to measuring my four main poles to see if these might work. Any further info on tolerance ranges would be appreciated -- especially max, because as Jon says I can shim if mine are a bit smaller.

P.S. for people who want to get the QAPL as accessory the netto listprice is 30,50$.

Here's that better-information-flow thing we discussed earlier in this thread.  Searching four of the top "usual suspects" only one listed the QAPL, and it was shown priced at $96.  Timo, it looks like you have your work cut out for you.  Hang in there, we appreciate knowing about these goodies.

Well, I just found out that we had a wrong price in our international sales price list. So please don't blame any dealer it's all our fault. We will send the new price out tomorrow but it's valid from today.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Thanks, Jon. I missed seeing those due to being on a cell phone at the moment.

However, since I don't have any Ambient poles, I'm wondering how much tolerance variation there is for those that aren't exactly the same as theirs.

John,

the the diameter fully expanded is 31mm with the QAPL30 and 36mm with the QAPL but please keep in mind that the central screw fixes the XLR as well as the boom. So if you push it to the limit you'ld have to use a shim for the XLR. As the XLR clamp also holds the transmitter it might get wobbly, depending on the shim you use...

John,

the the diameter fully expanded is 31mm with the QAPL30 and 36mm with the QAPL but please keep in mind that the central screw fixes the XLR as well as the boom. So if you push it to the limit you'ld have to use a shim for the XLR. As the XLR clamp also holds the transmitter it might get wobbly, depending on the shim you use...

Thanks. One of these goes on my order -- hopefully at the proper price <g>.