Is someone tweaking Lectro? If so, they are good.

LarryF

---We received this in an email to our European rep. I've asterisked the locations and names to protect the requester, who did this in all naivety. Or the requester is really pulling our leg. For those who don't know of our evil nature in early spring, here is the link: 

http://www.lectrosonics.com/Press-Releases-April-1st/lectrosonics-introduces-worlds-smallest-wireless-microphone.html

De : ***** *********** [mailto:***********@***.***-*********.**] 
Envoyé : mardi 17 décembre 2013 15:22
À : jimb@lectrosonics.com
Objet :-ALK and XSDT-LITH microphones for recording bat echolocation calls 

Dear Sirs, 

I have a question about one of the microphones introduced by your company a few years ago, the XSDT-ALK and XSDT-LITH. They were introduced as the “smallest wireless microphones of the world”. 
My name is ***** *********** and I work as research assistant at the ********* University (*******) were we study sound emission and reception in flying bats. Because of the excellent frequency response of the XSDT (up to 120 kHz) we could be interested in buying at least one of these microphones. Bat echolocation signals can be very high in frequency and therefore the XSDT could be useful for studying echolocation signals broadcasted during flight. 
Our only problem with this microphone is that it is not reusable. Is there a way to overcome this problem? For example, could it be possible to mount the microphone in a small plastic plate, and provide an interface for a removable battery (also maybe a smaller, flat battery)? Our bats can carry maximum weights of ~5g. 

Please let me know if this is possible. 

I look forward to your response, 

Best Regards

post-125-0-34019800-1387473487_thumb.jpg

This remains my all time favorite Lectro "early spring" announcement. I recall a heated discussion in another group, about how upset they were that Lectrosonics did not make the battery replaceable followed by discussion of how the unit could be modified to do so. They took it seriously. If it's on the internet it must be real, right?

Being the gentleman he is I have a good guess how Larry will respond.

****: " provide an interface for a removable battery "

they expect to recover the transmitters after they put them on bats and let them loose in the wild ?

Scientists have been tagging, tracking, and recapturing wild life for many years.

i just hope they don't think they are going to get reception as the bat flys away into the night. A miniture recorder seems more appropriate.