It's not reality, it's TV...and it is a business

studiomprd

Rado: "  dealing with the craziness of reality... "
"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,"   The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."  ...He'll likely appear in season four, which bows Jan. 15, since production is largely wrapped.

note that the network is not "concerned" enough to edit this terrible "offender" out of the new season...

"Real" loses, "TV" wins ??  or not...

season four could be bigger than ever just because of this brew-ha-ha....

Edited by studiomprd

Phil Robertson is entitied to his views, and he is entitled to express them in interviews. That's freedom of speech. But "DD" is not a news show. A & E is entitled to decide that his views don't reflect theirs, and can fire him or not, based on his decision to express his views. I expect he's under contract and will be paid. So he's not really being "fired", only edited out. A & E can measure public opinion or measure ratings or measure the importance of sticking to their values.

Change is brought about when public opinion begins to affect behavior, by there being consequences to actions deemed no longer acceptable. That behavior is reduced and makes into fewer members of the next generation. It takes time.

A & E initially wanted to leave out the family saying grace at the end of each show, but the Robertsons insisted it be included, as it is a big part of their lives as a family. Good for them. I'm an atheist. Seeing people pray doesn't offend me or make me feel alienated or left out. A & E decided to leave it in the show. Now A & E will need to decide how far they should go in showing Phil in his true light.

Frankly, I say leave him on. He's a better person than most of the disgusting assholes on so many "reality" shows. His views on homosexuals are archaic, and his inability to properly express his feelings of kinship with African Americans is what it is. I can watch the show (indirectly, as my wife watches all that crap and I am often in the same room), or I can not. I'm not going to judge a network by them showing a real person on a "reality" show, who expressed his views in an interview which wasn't part of the show.

Robert

I find it weird that people put so much weight into what one guy on a reality show says. To me, that is more disturbing.

Well, when 12 million people are watching the show, it's something which gets talked about. The news outlet just hope that they'll get some of those 12 million to watch their news!

...and that is how mountains get made from molehills.

All that s**t is all about boosting viewership for, at least, the season premiere in late January - so transparent to me.

Not news at all....

Look for more "manufactured controversies" and effective techniques towards internet "hits" and measureable / bankable "views" in 2014 and beyond --  lots of clutter to cut through for networks and shows these days, eh?

MF

The expression "You are what you eat" comes to mind in regard to consumption of media/entertainment. Not being judgmental of anyones diet or viewing habits because no one can eat junk food or gourmet food all the time without having some indigestion. I just think there are so many better ways so use one's time than to view 90% of what is offered on the tube these days. I know what their business model is. I'm more interested in my business /wellness model and it has little room for the junk food of so called Reality programing. To each their own of course. 

CrewC

I find it weird that people put so much weight into what one guy on a reality show says. To me, that is more disturbing.

I'm sure the magazine pushed the heck out of this to sell magazines or get clicks. There is a YouTube video of him speaking at a church saying pretty much the same stuff and I think it was over a-year-old. I'm not sure that watchers of the show are particularly surprised, knowing that this family part of this branch of Christianity. There are fans that identify with them, and there are people that watch shows like this because they don't know anyone like that. This might be embarrassing to A&E on some human level, but they obviously love the ratings. They have been running the show nonstop all weekend. Probably a great way to get new eyeballs because of this attention.

JP214: " They have been running the show nonstop all weekend...Probably a great way to get new eyeballs because of this attention. "

A&E may have given “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson the heave-ho when they suspended him from future episodes of the show last week, but the network is still welcoming him home for holidays. with a "super marathon" of episodes he is in.

nevermind:

THR: " The network and the Robertson family announced Friday that Phil will still be part of the series -- and since he didn't miss any filming, his temporary suspension will have no effect on the upcoming fifth season...A&E has decided to resume filming Duck Dynasty later this spring with the entire Robertson family... . "

even before he is gone, he's back!

" The entire Robertson family has been on hiatus for duck hunting season, a contractual stipulation, which continues through Jan. 26 in their native Louisiana....A&E (recently) signed the entire Robertson clan to a multiyear deal worth more than $200,000 per episode. "

Edited by studiomprd

• 2 weeks later...

What conflict? Advertisers are willing to pay more for a package of ads in A&E’s reality series “Duck Dynasty” than they are for a 30-second spot in plenty of other popular TV programs.

And marketers do not appear to be leaving “Duck Dynasty” despite the controversy stirred by star Phil Robertson with his remarks about gays and African Americans in a recent magazine interview.

According to media buyers, a flight of commercials designed to accompany several airings of an episode of “Duck Dynasty” on A&E goes for $170,000 to $180,000... The program has enjoyed a surge of ad revenue. In 2012, “Duck Dynasty” lured a little more than $40 million from sponsors, according to Kantar, a tracker of ad spending. For the first nine months of 2013, “Duck Dynasty” attracted nearly $80 million.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/duck-dynasty-advertising-remains-strong-despite-controversy-1201034033/

Edited by studiomprd