Weird re-directing

Johnny Karlsson

Hey Jeff, just wanted to let you know:

In the last couple days when clicking on a link to the site from a google search, I have been re-directed to some weird "URL4Short.INFO" page with a pop-up thing that says I'm the "millionth visitor" or something like that and "click here" bla bla. Of course I didn't, but makes me wonder if JWS has been hacked?

Jeff, I think JK was referring to a link returned from using google search as opposed to the sites built in search.

I just tried a "site:jwsoundgroup.net" search on google and the first link I clicked took me to this: http://url4short.info/ad539e15

Subsequent tries returned the expected page on this site.

Might be a google issue, although when you hover on the link it shows the correct address.

Anyhow, just some extra data points to consider.

I entered "site:jwsoundgroup.net" (no quotes) into Google search and the first return is the real JWSOUNDGROUP.

Sorry Jeff, I should have specified the quoted part was the type of search I did. 

The actual text I entered into the search was 'site:jwsoundgroup.net mixer', though I don't think the search subject is related to whether or not that odd link comes up.

I got the same thing you did when clicking on the top most link JWSOUNDGROUP (as pictured in my screenshot). It starts to go to the proper URL (this site) then re-directs. So, I tried right-clicking and opening link in new window and it opened this site without a problem.

Again, I don't know why this is happening but I don't believe anything is wrong with our site (and I have not made any changes or had any indication that anything has been hacked).

This may be of interest to you:

http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2013/01/15/cleaning-up-the-ip-board-url4short-mess/

"My friend Niall Brady dropped me an email, saying that some of the users of his Windows-Noob forums were reporting getting redirected to a spammy-looking site (url4short dot info) when clicking on search results to the site.

The forums run the Invision Power Board (IP.Board) software. There had been some reports of vBulletin boards being hit with this kind of spammy redirect, but fewer suggestions that this was an IPB problem. There had been a patch for a critical IPB issue released in December, but that had, obviously, been applied to the site as part of normal good practice..."

John has said: "There had been a patch for a critical IPB issue released in December, but that had, obviously, been applied to the site as part of normal good practice..."

​Well, you may have hit this right --- there are 2 security patches available for IPB and I have NOT yet applied these to the site. I was reluctant to do any updating while on location and possibly unable to get the help I might need if the updates break something. I will be updating in the next week or so and maybe that will solve the re-direct problem.

• 2 months later...

Though seldom, I too experience this from time to time. However, usually, if I press the back button in my browser, and click on the link on the Google search again, it will redirect successfully. So no biggie.

It is weird though to say the least. I have a feeling that the redirect may be happening or being intercepted in the receiving end as opposed to Google's end, as I don't have this issue with any other forum links through Google search results (gearslutz for example). I could be mistaken though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happening to me, too.

Just enter jwsoundgroup in Google.

When clicking a link to JWsound you get redirected to crap...

When that is not happening to you, open you browser in 'stealth mode' (no cookies etc) and try again.

This hack is invisible for regular users, it seems.