Is the RME Fireface 400's clock accurate enough?

I just got a Fireface 400 and was wondering from experienced users about the clock's accuracy.  Is it good enough to jam to a timecode slate every 4 hours or would I still need to get a better timecode source elsewhere.  I used a MOTU Traveler and that clock is totally unreliable.  I also tried a TC Konnekt 24D before and that clock seems relatively accurate.  But the drivers plagued with issues. 

I just got a Fireface 400 and was wondering from experienced users about the clock's accuracy.  Is it good enough to jam to a timecode slate every 4 hours or would I still need to get a better timecode source elsewhere.  I used a MOTU Traveler and that clock is totally unreliable.  I also tried a TC Konnekt 24D before and that clock seems relatively accurate.  But the drivers plagued with issues. 

If you are recording with timecode it is important to have the clock of the TC generator and the clock for the convertors be the same clock, or synced to one another if you want long-term sync.  The MOTU boxes are capable of perfect sync if you send them a signal they can clock to, such as word clock or timecode, as are the RMEs.  Any two digital systems running together w/o their clocks connected in some way will drift out of sync with each other eventually, and will do it much sooner if they do not have TXCO clocks. This is part of my question re: Mackie mixers as front ends for laptop recording systems.  Are Mackies TXCO?

Philip Perkins

• 1 month later...

I have been using a setup which includes 1) a SD 744T, 2) an RME Fireface 400, and 3) an Intel Duo Core Mac Mini running Boom Recorder, and it's been problem-free.

I take SMPTE TC from the Ambient output of the 744 to an audio input of the RME, and also send Word Clock from the 744 to the RME.  The TC sent from the RME to the Mac Mini over Firewire has been rock-steady for over a year.

I've chosen to record the TC on one of BR's audio tracks; I know that this is not necessary, but I've found it to be a helpful reference, and could serve as a back-up to the time stamps if there ever is a drift problem.

Andy Rovins

I have been using a setup which includes 1) a SD 744T, 2) an RME Fireface 400, and 3) an Intel Duo Core Mac Mini running Boom Recorder, and it's been problem-free.

I take SMPTE TC from the Ambient output of the 744 to an audio input of the RME, and also send Word Clock from the 744 to the RME.  The TC sent from the RME to the Mac Mini over Firewire has been rock-steady for over a year.

I've chosen to record the TC on one of BR's audio tracks; I know that this is not necessary, but I've found it to be a helpful reference, and could serve as a back-up to the time stamps if there ever is a drift problem.

Andy Rovins

This sounds like a great setup.

Philip Perkins