Which Lectronics TX and RX? Opinions appreciated!

Soundbite

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my radio system and Im favoured towards 2 Lectroconices systems.

Most of my work is documentary and reality based shows with a basic bag kit of 2 to 3 wireless radio mics.

I'd appreciate advice and opinions from current Lectrosonics users, it's a big investment after all!!

Im guessing the advantage of the SMQV is the longer battery life over the SMV. But it seems to me this is really only an advantage when using the higher power outputs. Is longer battery life a better option than smaller size?

Then... are the LMa or UMa a better option than the SMV or the SMQV? And if so why?

Now receivers?

One SRb5P two channel receiver?

or two UCR411a receivers?

Thanks in advance for your opinions... greatly valued as usual

Mick

If you are sure that one bloc is enough for you : go for 2 SMQV plus 1 SRB receiver. 

Another option is 2  x 411 receiver plus 2 x SMQV in 2 blocs. It maybe more versatile: you can use one kit  for a lav to your mixer, and the other kit  for audio to cam. It can also help you if one bloc is already occupied by another RF signal.

OK.. having done drama and reality.. I own and/or use all of these, but under different circumstances..

Pros and Cons for me:

LMa 

CON weakest range, powere and all mechanical controls

PRO if a tx unit is going into harm's way, these are the least expensive, and there is no membrance surface to get damaged

sonically, they are, after all, a digital hybrid Lectro, and sound very decent under the right conditions.

They are low enough profile to fit where UMas might not

UMA  rugged, higher power largest tx units

Con older rotary encoders, larger than SM series, so harder to conceal.  Power hungry

SMQ

my go to pack on scripted drama. 

Pro  late model control, can be controlled with an iphone app and or an RMa

Con... too expensive to replace in a sacrificial application

SMQV

current, seems like a 2 battery version of the SMQ

Pro  longest batt life, adjustable voltage draw.

Con  wide enough to be uncomfortable in hiding in some wardrobe situations

also.. too expensive to risk in hazardous environments

SRb

Pro

Lowest cost, Lightest weight way to have 2 channels in a bag.

Con  does not have a tracking front end

Pro  seems like best reception  for a bag suitable rx

Con biggest rx unit, power hungry in a big way

most costly way to have 2 channels of rx in a bag

Hi all, hi Soundbite!

IMHO, the SMV's and SMQV's are perfect for drama work, but if you mainly do doc/reality work, the good old UMa and LMa's are often a better choice because the trivial tasks of changing batteries, setting the gain and even turning them on and off are much more straightforward on these models. As long as you don't need to change the frequency, though... If you're out in the field and forgot your glasses and a small screwdriver, you're basically f***ed.

I've switched back to 411's and UM400a's for doc work and am happier with that setup than with my SRb's and SMQV's.

Just my 2 cents, though,

Best,

Jürg

My 2 Cents

Don't overlook the UCR 401 with the fixed antennae, they offer the same scan feature as the 411s and cost less. As far as tx I have both the smv and smqv, if you need to hide the tx the single battery smv is the way to go…just run lithiums or have the phone app to sleep and unsleep the tx. I started with the 401s and as more work came and needs changed I upgraded to the 411s! good Luck JHW

PS quite often used wireless show up here in wts forums and at the usual suspects web sites at substantial savings!

My 2 Cents

Don't overlook the UCR 401 with the fixed antennae, they offer the same scan feature as the 411s and cost less. As far as tx I have both the smv and smqv, if you need to hide the tx the single battery smv is the way to go…just run lithiums or have the phone app to sleep and unsleep the tx. I started with the 401s and as more work came and needs changed I upgraded to the 411s! good Luck JHW

PS quite often used wireless show up here in wts forums and at the usual suspects web sites at substantial savings!

+1, there's a really nice upgrade path with Lectro's gear.  An LMa and 401 is a respectable system and compatible with 411s, SRBs, SMVs, SMQVs, as your needs change.  Sound quality across the 400 series range is the same (very good!)