Portable WIFI Access Point / Router ?

srsonido

Folks,

I'm exploring the option of configuring a portable ad hoc WIFI system, something that can provide networking for WIFI enabled apps on set. I'd like it to be battery or USB powered and small enough for a cart or bag. I realize this may be a bit esoteric here as it is not, strictly speaking, a sound gadget, but our technological scope is expanding and some of the available devices like TimecodeBuddy and Teradek are already bringing their own ad hoc networks into our sound domain.

However, at the moment I'm looking for something stand alone to provide just the WIFI. Something along the lines of these devices:

TP-Link

Hootoo

Belkin

I have looked at the SD CL1-WIFI, wish it worked with a 744T or 633, but and as far as I can tell it requires the 788 for power and configuration of the WIFI net and cannot be used stand alone. 

The gadgets linked above look like they would do the job but I thought I would canvas the collective wisdom here first: has anyone had experience with a portable WIFI access point? 

Thanks!

Cricket

Clear

Verizon

T-mobile

AT&T

Thanks, but those are cellular companies that provide "hotspot" devices which enable connectivity to the Internet through 3G / 4G celular connections. That's not quite what I need.

I can understand the confusion though, some of their devices do share that Internet connection through a localized WIFI network, which is similar functionality to what I'm looking for, but their main purpose is to create a wireless WAN. That's more than I need. All I need is a device that will create a local ad hoc network similar to what you can do with a MacBook, w/o having to use a computer. In my application I don't need an Internet connection so I would not want to pay Verizon the  monthly charges.

I have the TP Link nano router - http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N

It's tiny, cheap and runs off a 5v usb supply.

I have it set up in my car as an access point for a Raspberry Pi media centre. Range is pretty decent, I can access it from upstairs in my house when it's parked outside. The firmware is pretty buggy though although it is updated on the tplink website regularly.

Thanks Brian I will look at this one. Have you actually used it? BTW, I see you are in Wales - one of my favorit places. Nothing like ducking in out of the chill for Welshcakes and a nice cuppa'. The light is just beautiful there this time of year, and that's coming from a sound guy! Cheersa

I have the TP Link nano router - http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N

It's tiny, cheap and runs off a 5v usb supply.

I have it set up in my car as an access point for a Raspberry Pi media centre. Range is pretty decent, I can access it from upstairs in my house when it's parked outside. The firmware is pretty buggy though although it is updated on the tplink website regularly.

Good info Matt. I was looking at another one from TP-Link (linked above). You said it runs off a 5V USB supply - does the unit come with a USB supply or are you referring to connecting it to and external source? I would likely run this from NP1's on the cart which are nominally around 12V. Thanks!  

Thanks Brian I will look at this one. Have you actually used it? BTW, I see you are in Wales - one of my favorit places. Nothing like ducking in out of the chill for Welshcakes and a nice cuppa'. The light is just beautiful there this time of year, and that's coming from a sound guy! Cheersa

Good info Matt. I was looking at another one from TP-Link (linked above). You said it runs off a 5V USB supply - does the unit come with a USB supply or are you referring to connecting it to and external source? I would likely run this from NP1's on the cart which are nominally around 12V. Thanks!  

Hi, the unit takes 5v power via a micro (or maybe mini?) USB connector. It comes with a mains transformer but if you're running from 12v you could get hold of something like this: http://bluecowcables.com/product.php?id_product=128 or even build something yourself using a regulator like this: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/de-sw050

I'm exploring the option of configuring a portable ad hoc WIFI system, something that can provide networking for WIFI enabled apps on set. I'd like it to be battery or USB powered and small enough for a cart or bag.

An Apple Airport Express kinda/sorta fits your spec except for the fact that it's AC powered. The earlier version even had the built-in-plug-with-fold-out-prongs like on a Apple ac adapter.

An Apple Airport Express kinda/sorta fits your spec except for the fact that it's AC powered. The earlier version even had the built-in-plug-with-fold-out-prongs like on a Apple ac adapter.

Yup sure would but for the AC only part. I have an AC to DC inverter / backup system on the cart but I want to be able to use this w/o that if necessary. Thanks for the input though.   

Offhand a lot of base stations run off 12volt power supplies, so even of you don't like the "portable" offerings, you could wire up something. That might end up serving you better in terms of making it go a full day. A portable rechargeable one may not be built to run for 14 hours.

Also, if one has internal batteries and you hook it up to your bag, you may want to see if you can remove the internal battery. Generally those devices will also run a charger when external power is present, so you'll be drawing more than just the device itself needs.

If you are using Zaxcom ERX gear, remember that also operates on 2.4GHz, but you can set it to frequencies not in the common wifi range. It's not normally an issue, but if you had it all in the same bag..... Who knows. Something to test before you try it all on set.

Hi, the unit takes 5v power via a micro (or maybe mini?) USB connector. It comes with a mains transformer but if you're running from 12v you could get hold of something like this: http://bluecowcables.com/product.php?id_product=128 or even build something yourself using a regulator like this: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/de-sw050

On your cart you could just repurpose a car USB adapter.

Offhand a lot of base stations run off 12volt power supplies, so even of you don't like the "portable" offerings, you could wire up something. That might end up serving you better in terms of making it go a full day. A portable rechargeable one may not be built to run for 14 hours.

Also, if one has internal batteries and you hook it up to your bag, you may want to see if you can remove the internal battery. Generally those devices will also run a charger when external power is present, so you'll be drawing more than just the device itself needs.

If you are using Zaxcom ERX gear, remember that also operates on 2.4GHz, but you can set it to frequencies not in the common wifi range. It's not normally an issue, but if you had it all in the same bag..... Who knows. Something to test before you try it all on set.

That's a good point and a fallback if none of the "portable" units are satisfactory.

In terms of interferance with other 2.4GHz stuff, the unit would definately need enough smarts to change channels and maybe even manage users through DHCP. Theoretically I should be able to set up an 802.11N network at 5GHz and stay out of most everybody's way. 

Test before going live - absolutley !

On your cart you could just repurpose a car USB adapter.

Yes, that is a good idea, in fact it looks like what the bluecowcable guys that Matt linked have done. Definately opens some possiblities. If I get really ambitious I can probably put something together using Raspberry Pi or similar.

That's a good point and a fallback if none of the "portable" units are satisfactory.

In terms of interferance with other 2.4GHz stuff, the unit would definately need enough smarts to change channels and maybe even manage users through DHCP. Theoretically I should be able to set up an 802.11N network at 5GHz and stay out of most everybody's way. 

Test before going live - absolutley !

Yes, that is a good idea, in fact it looks like what the bluecowcable guys that Matt linked have done. Definately opens some possiblities. If I get really ambitious I can probably put something together using Raspberry Pi or similar.

I tried setting up a RPi in AP mode and found it to be a bit of a nightmare. I was using RaspBMC which isn't a typical Linux distro and I'm not too experienced with Linux anyway so you might have better luck. Other that that I'm not sure that the RPi is there for critical production use, having the OS running from an SD card and powering via a flimsy micro USB are definite weak points.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to set up an IEM system with a RPi as the source, streaming to iOS devices but would be wary of using it on anything other than that.

Hi 

The Zoom Traveller has a built in battery, good for a few hours.  It has a usb connector for a dongle and an ethernet connection for a modem.

In your case you can set it up as a standalone wifi hub.

Wales is pretty wet at the moment, so no evening light.

Welsh cakes are still good though.

I have and use a Cradlepoint wifi/cellular router on my sound cart.  I've been using these for 6 or 7 years now with a Sprint USB cellular modem as the Internet side of the router.  It runs on 12v and hides very neatly in the cart rack.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/machine-to-machine-routers/cbr400-compact-broadband-router

They are looking to discontinue this little guy next year, so I may buy a spare.  Lots on ebay.

PWP