Is this worth paying extra for?

Jarred Jones

I have to buy an XLR cable for recording two things: 1. In a studio for voiceovers and 2. For recording on set film audio.

However, I don't know which of these to get. Both are very highly reviewed and both have VERY different price points.

The cables in question:

Mogami Gold Studio 15 Microphone Cable Quad Conductor
http://www.amazon.com/Mogami-Gold-St.../dp/B0002E1P30

GLS Audio 25 foot Mic Cable
http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Cabl.../dp/B003JJQMD8

Is one really worth 3X the other one in terms of quality? Would either of them be appropriate for BOTH studio and on set film work?

Thank you for reading.

This article might help you understand the difference:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov09/articles/qa1109_4.htm

My opinion, almost certainly no audible difference in scenario 1 in the studio. Scenario 2 recording on location with unpredictable situations could pose problems with electromagnetic interference from things such as power cable runs for lights, for example.

Or why not buy both? Then you have a spare when one inevitably goes down on you.

Also, I'd suggest purchasing from a reputable dealer rather than Amazon.

Anyone asking the question would most likely be best served buying as Jack recommended the star quad... and some Neutrik  XLR connecters... BUT with the cables already made....  

Markertek.com is a good source....

Maybe the skills for soldering are not that great...  

Yes, you CAN simply make them yourself... but if you want them to work correctly from the get go... and be dependable down the road...or don't have the time...just buy them and relax.... or, if your skills are  ....OK, go for the do it yourself... Jacks choice is in fact the right one IMHO...

Or you could get these cables,  they are also well reviewed and are only $800 pair for 1 meter XLRs.

They'll make a Shure 57 sound almost exactly like an AKG C12.  (An original tube one, not the godawful reissues)

http://www.patsaudioart.com/product/siltech/others/hi-end-audio-cables

They also walk your dog and double on sax.

Step right up.

(with apologies to Tom Waits)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

BG: " Who needs a lifetime warrantee on a fifteen foot cable? "

is that the buyer's life, or the cable's life ??

JJ: " I have to buy an XLR cable for recording two things "

you also need to do a lot of learning, and I suggest the books by Jay Rose at www.dplay.com, and also the location sound bible by Ric Viers...  maybe also the books by John Fielden.  (all have been mentioned here)

" However, I don't know which of these to get. "

you need to get in touch with one of our usual suspects for good advice for your specific needs; the folks at our reputable, professional production sound dealers are not on commission.

They may also have some of the books I mentioned.

I think Lewis OB and Jack Norflus are both correct.  Find yourself a local instrument shop and buy 2 cables.  One for use and one for backup because cables will break. The store clerk will steer you towards a decent cable.

After that learn how to solder.  If you continue down the path of sound recording you'll end up needing a crazy amount of cables in different lengths with all sorts of jacks.  I can't tell you how many times I've spent the evening before a shoot soldering up some special cable that I realized I needed.  Also knowing how to solder allows you to make a working cable out of a nonworking cable.

To Freeheel - Why only spend $800 on those cheep XLR speaker connects when you could spend $35,000 for the good ones.  That's only $34,200 for that last imaginary 0.0000001%  of sound quality.

Matt

From my experience: Don't use cables who intended for studio use (if you are doing location).

- Canare

- Van Damme

- Sommer

- Mogami

with Neutrik connectors. These brands can handle very well dust, rain, low temperatures etc.

There is a definite difference between star quad cables and simple shielded pair when used in an environment where EMI (electro magnetic interference) noise from lighting cables and other devices is likely (which includes nearly all production sets). The difference is usually not appreciated when using line levels, but can often be appreciated with mic levels. The environment changes from set to set and location to location, as does our equipment setup, so and we usually don't know how our cables will be used. Since we don't often have a second chance when there's a problem, I recommend star quad for all balanced audio cables in a portable kit.

Glen Trew

From my experience: Don't use cables who intended for studio use (if you are doing location).

- Canare

- Van Damme

- Sommer

- Mogami

with Neutrik connectors. These brands can handle very well dust, rain, low temperatures etc.

All of my cables are Canare star quad (+Neutrik) and I'm very happy with them, a bit rigid but very good mechanical. 

I prefer the "do it yourself" for my own cables (better finished and solder)