SD 633 lock up problems - anyone else?

srsonido

I have been having some strange lock up behavior from my new SD633. I called tech support and we're working to figure it out. SD is an awesome company and I am sure they will deal with it effectively, but I want to put a call out to the other early adopters and see if anyone else has been having similar issues.

What happens is this:  On first boot-up to the date change dialog, the unit will occasionally lock up for about 60+ sec. After that it will proceed to the main tracks screen, but then it locks up there for good. In this condition it will not respond to any input, including a hard power off / batteries removed / no external power. It's weird - it just sits there with the tracks screen showing and the power switch in the OFF position - yes power switch OFF and unit still showing the locked tracks screen . 

Anyone else seen lock up issues on the 633?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To do a force power down press and hold the menu button for 10 seconds.

Did you have a keyboard or wifi rx plugged into the USB port by chance.

Andy

Yes, the menu button for 10 sec. - that's what I do to shut it down when it's stuck. But the problem still re-occurs intermittently.

I have not had a keyboard plugged into it, nor a WIFI rx. By WIFI rx I assume you are referring to something like the CL-1 WIFI? my understanding is that the 633 does not support that accessory. Is that not the case?

Have you seen this behavior yourself?

Thanks!

I've had mine for 2 days, I've had it lock up only when  tried to plug in an old macintosh keyboard.    In the manual (p54) it says to NOT use a keyboard with an internal USB Hub, which most old mac keyboards have.

So that problem is easy to avoid.   Been just trying every function out and getting used to it.  Nothing I have done other than that keyboard has locked it up so far...  very cool little machine.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin 

FWIW.. I experienced the screen lock up ( remedied by complete depowering and 10 second "menu" button push )

These happened when I was experimenting with the dongle from a Rii WiFi mini keyboard inserted ...

Have put the keyboard on the too hard pile for the moment...

Thanks for that data point Pat. I have not tried using the keyboard yet, but perhaps it will stay on my back burner for a while as well. The lockups I have been experiencing happen at boot up and with nothing connected. I suspect I got a lemon unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had 3 lockups today.  All happened when powering down after periods of recording, so fairly convenient timing of the problem.  Turning the power off would not turn the machine off but would freeze it.   Holding the menu button for 10 seconds and rebooting solved the problem.  Files were all fine.   I was using a Case-logic travel keyboard, and was a little careless about whether it was plugged in before or after booting.

The keyboard implementation is definitely a bit funky in the 633 and I suspect that's what was causing the issue.

But wow, do I ever love that little device. First time using it on a shoot and it performed flawlessly otherwise.  Even the camera guy thought it was cool.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 2 weeks later...