SD 633 lock up problems - anyone else?

srsonido

Speaking of memory cards...http://www.photographybay.com/2014/05/28/sandisk-cf-cards-up-to-77-off-deal-alert/

...if that can be of interest for someone

As for OP: been using 32go CF cards with a 64go SD card in my 633 for a few weeks now without issues. All Sandisk recommended cards.

It looks like B&H has the same or similar deal.

Tom

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i bought approved cards and my 633 is locking up once a day anyway.  always when im not rolling, so far.  i pulled the usb keyboard yesterday after a lockup and so far today, 6 hours in, no lockup.  i have another 6 hours to go so no reason to have a party yet.

B&H asked me to review the 633 so maybe ill wait until AFTER a few more days of work with no lockups.  then ill have to wonder why SD added support for the Rii keyboard in the first place if it COULD be the problem.

anyone else using the Rii keyboard with NO problems?  did i get a lemon?

I have never used anything larger than 32GB cards.  1.01 I had a couple no record freezes.  1.02 no issues.

A few friend have had some serious 664 Lockups with 2.02, both cases were approved 64Gb cards.  I will also warn that if you are using a keyboard in a bag and it gets bumped or jarred in any way both units seem to freeze.  

When mission critical, I would avoid a keyboard when rolling.  

I have had no lockups when using 32gb or smaller media and no keyboard on both machines.  100% reliable in this case.

I have never used anything larger than 32GB cards. 1.01 I had a couple no record freezes. 1.02 no issues.

A few friend have had some serious 664 Lockups with 2.02, both cases were approved 64Gb cards. I will also warn that if you are using a keyboard in a bag and it gets bumped or jarred in any way both units seem to freeze.

When mission critical, I would avoid a keyboard when rolling.

I have had no lockups when using 32gb or smaller media and no keyboard on both machines. 100% reliable in this case.

+1

I personally have dropped my keyboard all together for this reason when on the job. Only use it for night before setups etc. keys get bumped. Adds potential chaos. No lockups on my 664 and 633 w mostly 32gb cards, 1x 64gb delkin cf occasionally.

Ken

Like Chris, around six weeks of use; 64go Sandisk SD card, 32go Sandisk CF cards, 16go Sandisk and Transcend 600x CF cards too (more like backups now). No ext. Keyboard; I set my names in advance for tracks, report, etc and I also like the scroll knob.

No lockup so far, only recommended cards except for the 16go cards I mostly used with my 788 in the past (but no lockups with these cards either when I used them the first weeks).

I've had mine for about a month, and on a recent narrative shoot in the deep jungle, log canoes on rivers, etc, it performed like a champ. I got repeated CF card errors with the Delkin that B&H sold me to go with it, but it flawlessly switched to the SD card and googling that night back at base-camp realised that it was a known problem.  I've since had no trouble with a Sandisk Extreme CF, and no lockups at any point.  This was a big jump for me, technology wise, and I love it.  

• 4 weeks later...

i posted about my unit locking up.  it seemed really bad and i was starting to lose heart.  after springing for the suggested media, after looking over all my connections carefully, after consulting a witchdoctor and dousing my entire 633 in chicken blood, i remember that i had chosen a shorter USB cable to connect the wireless keyboard when i got my unit.  so i dug out the original SD USB cable, sprinkling it with what blessed (cursed?) chicken blood i had left, and have been using that almost every day for two weeks with no problems.  yes!  so, using the suggested wireless keyboard (RK01?) with their supplied cable and their recommended media, no lockups.  not sure if that helps anyone else, but if you need the number of my Shamanic Chicken Blood supplier let me know.

ello there..

I wonder, since this unit looks interesting for run and gun/docu work...what  do you users think about the REC button ? Since that is my ( on paper ) small concern...is this small and tiny control a issue when working ? 

Also, i assume it has a beep  on the headphone when go into record ?

Intention of use is  mainly as a max 4 tr recorder, not a mixer...

Also, any more con's and pro's?

thanxs, R

The record joystick/button is fine, no issue for me. You get one headphone beep when recording starts, and two beeps when you stop. I have had my 633 since December, and only just experienced my first lockup this past week. Used the "hard shutdown" feature holding the menu button down, rebooted, and it was fine after that. I suspect I have a few knock-off CF cards I got from Amazon, because I also had a "CF card error" on the same day. Everything was recorded safely to the SD card, so no worries there. I'll buy a few more approved CF cards from Trew, and am betting that will solve the problem.