Nomad clock battery

stacysound

Piece of advice.

When removing the shell you will notice that there are two different size screws - some (3 or 4) are slightly longer than all the rest. The longer ones are on the top of the unit.

Take note where the longer ones go so you can put them back.

Jack is this also true of the Maxx? I noticed the different sized screws when I took the lid off mine. I think I got em all back where they started.. ;)

My local Radio Shack didn't carry the correct battery for Nomad. I bought a 3 pack of something that looked close and had the same voltage. So far so good.

I've replaced the internal battery twice in two years, which seems too often. I wish they had gone the approach SD did with a rechargeable AA that the unit itself topped off.

Mark O.

• 9 months later...

So, is it ok to use a different size battery if it's still 3volts?

The answer is, "probably."

If the battery fits the holder okay and is 3v. then it'll probably work fine.  The major difference between button cell versions of the same voltage, and of a somewhat similar size, has to do largely with discharge curves.  With low drain applications for which the batteries are designed (the Nomad system clock being an example), you likely will experience little difference until many months down the road.

Keep in mind that you can compare the different batteries by downloading their respective data sheets and comparing the specs and discharge curves.  If the majority of the discharge curves maintain a similar voltage level under the type of load that the Nomad offers, then you'll be fine.

This will all make more sense after you've become acquainted with the data sheets.  Here's one for the CR2320:

post-18-0-48807300-1413949465_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2014 at 6:57 PM, Jack Norflus said:
On 3/1/2014 at 6:45 PM, Derek H said:

Jack is this also true of the Maxx? I noticed the different sized screws when I took the lid off mine. I think I got em all back where they started.. ;)

Yes. Though when changing the battery on Maxx you only need to remove the left panel to access the battery.

Hi Jack,

I couldn't find any instructions on how to change the battery on Maxx. Do you know on which part of the left panel is the battery located?