JWSOUND 2.0 - 2014

Jeff Wexler

To start off the new year I am interested in getting suggestions from our members for improvements, enhancements, features and functions for our online community. I want JWSOUND to continue to grow, not just the size of our membership but the value and functionality of the site. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas --- I am not planning on abandoning the basic forum structure we have here with Invision Power Board software, but I'm sure there are things that could be changed, added or even linked to other web installations I have been experimenting with (for example, the WIKI REFERENCE test site I set up awhile ago, unfinished work for sure and may not ever be used).

Let's see what we can come up with, as a group, to keep JWSOUND the "go to" site for our community of sound people worldwide.

Thank you Jeff for hosting this fine group and your persistent dedication to improve the

sight and enrich the production sound community.

One piece of functionality that could stand some improvement is the "member directory".

It's 3 pages of posts without any real format and not easily searched.

There are frequent opportunities to pass along work to one another and it would be great 

for this to be an organized, searchable database.

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy, prosperous 2014.

Glen

I think we should incorporate a reality TV element to the forum, where through popular votes we can affect each members posting font.  Some people will have larger fonts, while others fonts will be eventually changed to comic sans serif, eventually made smaller and smaller, and finally pushed off to the very edge of the screen, a literal "marginalization" effect if you will.

The search function jumps to mind. Beyond that, the phrase "If it ain't broke..." seems well worth consideration.

Thanks for asking Jeff, I think John is right on the money. Search needs help.

Tom, that's hilarious. "Aww man.. I just got wing-dinged on JW sound! "

Love the thought Jeff. Thanks for hosting and continuing to work to better the community.

I would live to see an easy way to participate in the gallery of sound carts and gallery of sound bags. I love the threads, but it'd be nice to be able to update the photos of our stuff ourselves in those galleries. They would be more dynamic and hopefully mean less management for you.

Kelsey

Love the thought Jeff. Thanks for hosting and continuing to work to better the community.

I would live to see an easy way to participate in the gallery of sound carts and gallery of sound bags. I love the threads, but it'd be nice to be able to update the photos of our stuff ourselves in those galleries. They would be more dynamic and hopefully mean less management for you.

Kelsey

I have put up several photo galleries, unfortunately calling them all "Gallery of Sound Carts". I believe the LINK in the sidebar takes you to the SmugMug gallery where you can in fact comment and add stuff to an image. I will work on this and try and consolidate things. The Gallery section that is part of the IPB forum (software platform this site is built on) is not very good and difficult to configure.

Sorry to be a bit of a Luddite but why change things? If there's something that's really needed it'll be obvious enough for someone to suggest. Don't let the whole "New Year" thing make you change things that don't need to be changed.

As an example, take the book. It's been pretty much the same for centuries and still works quite well.

I would love some sort of screening or waiting process for new members, so people cant just join and start posting without doing any research. Im sure we can all agree that the frequency of "whats the best...?" and "How do I do your job for cheap?" questions are rising. Not sure how this sort of thing would work, but I think that if something isnt done about it, the forum may start to become less valuable to professionals and more of a DIY for newbies and DSLR owners over time.

+1 for the search function update

+1 for reality section (which brings to mind possible sections for different types of work?)

+1 for more concise member directory

Sorry to be a bit of a Luddite but why change things? If there's something that's really needed it'll be obvious enough for someone to suggest. Don't the whole "New Year" thing make you change things that don't need to be changed.

I have no plan to make any arbitrary changes (and I do feel that things are functioning beautifully on this site). I would like some ideas, that's why I made the request, but I am a big fan of the "if it ain't broke..."  so I wouldn't worry.

Oh god no! Not yet more Facebook style garbage, do we have to be reduced to a pack of gibbering simpletons with mob mentality crutches?

Who cares who 'likes' what.

The sooner Facebook dies as a consequence of it's 'moneytization' the better. It's only gathering data in order to target us better anyway, hiding behind a smokescreen of care about social networking....

Sorry rant over. :)

I use this site mainly to research specific items of equipment.  I'd love to have a way to click on the link for a piece of equipment, and have all the threads that reference it come up.  I could "follow" the actual piece of equipment, and when a new thread pops up about it I would be notified either by email or just through logging in with the new posts button.  There have been a few times, when I didn't notice a thread until weeks later, since it had gotten pushed down by the more active threads.  I guess this would fall somewhere under search function and key words.  

Thanks for everything though; this site is a great resource for all walks of sound.  

Welcome back Jeff, glad to see you've found something to do...

As I've said in the past, I like the Like button idea because often someones post is likable but not worthy of a comment beyond I like this which many posts are. I suppose there are reasons for some to hate social networking sites but for me jwsound is as much a social place as a technical forum. My other desire is if we could post video clips from any source, not just youtube. All in all I'm a big fan of the site as is and I thank JW for his incredible effort to keep it alive and relevant.

CrewC

Oh god no! Not yet more Facebook style garbage, do we have to be reduced to a pack of gibbering simpletons with mob mentality crutches?

Who cares who 'likes' what.

The sooner Facebook dies as a consequence of it's 'moneytization' the better. It's only gathering data in order to target us better anyway, hiding behind a smokescreen of care about social networking....

Sorry rant over. :)

so maybe a "dislike" button for you? lol

i just think it's unnecessary and cluttering the thread for people to post another reply, quoting the person that posts something to just say "yeah, me too" or "you are right, that's a bad idea".

trust me, i'm no fan of Facebook but it does a few things well.

Maybe not the "like button" as such but Post Reputations are an important feature on some big forums.

It allows people to see who are the most valued members of the community and if posts get enough negative reputations marks it will be hidden. I can think of a few people this would be great for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk