JWSOUND 2.0 - 2014

Jeff Wexler

+1 Search engine

Being able to post easily a photo, directly in the post, without creating an album.

Anyway, jwsound.net is already in very good shape !

Thanks Jeff.

This brings up something that I think I should do: a more extensive tutorial on HOW TO USE the site. Various people haver contacted me over the years telling me they have a problem posting images --- it is about as easy as it can be and well understood by most (but some have trouble, I don't know why). It certainly does not require making an album or even using the Gallery section at all. It does require, at the very least, that you are using the Full Editor (not the Quick Reply screen) so that you can upload and attach an image to as post. I always use the additional function of Add to Post which places the image "inline" within the post at the cursor.

I have put up several photo galleries, unfortunately calling them all "Gallery of Sound Carts". I believe the LINK in the sidebar takes you to the SmugMug gallery where you can in fact comment and add stuff to an image. I will work on this and try and consolidate things. The Gallery section that is part of the IPB forum (software platform this site is built on) is not very good and difficult to configure.

I really enjoy the galleries you've collected on smugmug, my suggestion was to have a way that users can add photos to them.  Unless I'm missing how to do that already.

Thanks

In a quick reply option you can upload picture, but require an external link.

The button right from link, unlink; is the image button. Copy and paste the external link (from photo).

One add you can thing about it Jeff; is a player for sound files, rather than to upload it after the user to download it and hear it. A player like from this blog. In this situation I can upload the file and when will post it; the user will can hear it without to download it.

Sorry for my grammar!

Best

V

This brings up something that I think I should do: a more extensive tutorial on HOW TO USE the site. Various people haver contacted me over the years telling me they have a problem posting images --- it is about as easy as it can be and well understood by most (but some have trouble, I don't know why). It certainly does not require making an album or even using the Gallery section at all. It does require, at the very least, that you are using the Full Editor (not the Quick Reply screen) so that you can upload and attach an image to as post. I always use the additional function of Add to Post which places the image "inline" within the post at the cursor.

Hi Jeff,

I agree that it is easy, "Once You Figure It Out".

It definitely took me several tries to find "Add to Post". Of course when I'm in full "Head up and locked" mode, it's hard for me to see anything.

A tutorial on How 2 Use, would be great. I had RAMPS down pretty pat, but starting here was kind of "Oh crap, now what?"

Of course I still use an HP-21,

Best Regards,

Larry F

Oh god no! Not yet more Facebook style garbage, do we have to be reduced to a pack of gibbering simpletons with mob mentality crutches?

Who cares who 'likes' what.

The sooner Facebook dies as a consequence of it's 'moneytization' the better. It's only gathering data in order to target us better anyway, hiding behind a smokescreen of care about social networking....

Sorry rant over. :)

I like this post. Oops. 

Keep up the awesome leadership of this herd of cats, Jeff :) XOXOX

Something I've been too lightly noodling for a while is some kind of social calendar-based crew scheduling interface. It could be by region and / or based upon a limited group of trusted folks. I'd like to be able to log on, and see (of my usual suspects and friends of those trusted colleagues) who's available for work.

It's a can of snakes, I know, but I can digitally dream, can't I?

Some kind of combo of JWsound/Facebook/LinkedIn and a calendar.

Almost certain this is outside JWsoundnet's sandbox, but thought I'd put it out there.

This reminds me, it's time to make an annual contribution to the site :)

• 2 months later...

wonder why noone asks for a 695 section

in case of its demise maybe a "unionism" section

or something like the economics of sound work

or just plain BREAD

???

wolf

PS maybe a section that allows anonymous posts called "bad payers". ( yes I can imagine problems don't anticipate them though looking at the users)

If we do go ahead with a Wiki page, I think we aught to require sources to site that can be linked to, just as a precautionary checks and balances measure.

I'm also for requiring some sort of system test so that not anyone can join. The newbie questions are a little out of hand. I think people should be required to have a basic understanding of audio (signal flow, gain structure, understanding frequencies, etc)  before they start asking what the best microphone is, or whats the magical piece of gear that can be cheaply purchased that can replace a proper sound department.

I think the newbies having to bear the Senator's attacks is hard enough a test for every one of them. The advantage of this system over an automated test is that "it" can react individually and inadequately to any given newbie question.

Ha! The SAT's are easier then the Senator Test. 

Being a loose dude in a loose mood, I wish we could all stay chill and have some fun instead of everyone getting upset and super serious all the time and various topics. All in all I like what we have here @jwsound.

CrewC