Jump to content
Eric Toline

Low Profile TA3 to XLR Cable assembly for SD 788

Recommended Posts

Eric makes great cables and has a wealth of great knowledge to share. His pricing is fair and his quality is great so if your looking for some cables contact him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Rean not Rane. The caps are 1/2" plastic hole plugs held in place with the hot glue that locks all the internal pieces in place. You have to cut an opening in the cap for the cable to exit the case.

 

Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my updated version with the REAN..I like these a lot more than the Switchcraft...Plus NO cutting!

 

Tomorrow I do some TA5s..Maybe then I'll like my zaxcom more ;)

 

post-1567-0-81386000-1389080957_thumb.jp

 

post-1567-0-24302800-1389080957_thumb.jp

 

post-1567-0-67807500-1389080956_thumb.jp

 

post-1567-0-12216200-1389080956_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that Matt's execution of these low-profile right angle connectors is about the best I've seen. I have done quite a few of these myself and they have turned out nice, but none quite so perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Eric, look forward to putting them in place on the cart.

 

Also look forward to hearing how Matt fabricated his lovely caps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! That means alot coming from you 2! :-)

The caps are well... Just caps. Mostly aesthetic. It takes a little more time for this part and i mix probably 70/30 hardener to resin so its not super runny. Too much and it runs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about using an epoxy filler but decided that with hot glue & a heat gun it's fairly easy to take the assembly apart to do any repairs that might be required down the road.

 

Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like I said Eric, the Epoxy is just aesthetic...The connector is mostly filled with hot glue..Then convered with epoxy to seal it and make it look perddy..

 

Given what these cables are used for its hard for me to believe that they would break...especially inside the connector...Sure the cable could break, but if your just using them to connect TX/RX to the mixer, the cable never moves..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about using an epoxy filler but decided that with hot glue & a heat gun it's fairly easy to take the assembly apart to do any repairs that might be required down the road.

 

Eric

The biggest problem with many of these low profile right angle cables is that everything is glued together, making future repairs impossible. Good looking ahead Eric!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like I said Eric, the Epoxy is just aesthetic...The connector is mostly filled with hot glue..Then convered with epoxy to seal it and make it look perddy..

 

Given what these cables are used for its hard for me to believe that they would break...especially inside the connector...Sure the cable could break, but if your just using them to connect TX/RX to the mixer, the cable never moves..

 

Hey, Matt!

 

Really beautiful work. Are you adding color (I'm assuming it's model paint) to the uncured 70/30 epoxy mix, or do you paint the hardened dome after the fact? I'm asking because, if it's painted, I'd be concerned about the paint scratching off after the fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Matt!

 

Really beautiful work. Are you adding color (I'm assuming it's model paint) to the uncured 70/30 epoxy mix, or do you paint the hardened dome after the fact? I'm asking because, if it's painted, I'd be concerned about the paint scratching off after the fact.

Thanks Karl!

 

Yes, I add paint to the epoxy before applying. The paint will definitely scratch off if you apply it after the epoxy hardens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type of paint do you add to the epoxy to color it? I tried acrylic  ink but it affected the curing of the epoxy. 

 

Also when filling the XLR-f with hot glue after soldering, how do you fill without filling up the space behind the release button. This has been a big challenge for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...