On the road for a month with Maxx.

Nick Campbell

I'm embarking on a month-long shoot that will take me across the country (twice). Having switched to the Maxx a few months ago, and being vocal about it on here, I'm setting up this thread as a blog of my travels, packing light while sound recording, and running the Maxx for a month straight. Due to the nature of the work I'll be running the recorder for upwards of 12-16 hours a day.

I took advantage of the new 2.0 software and made a TA5 to dual XLR cable for the return to act as additional inputs (hardware inputs 5/6). I'll be running a boom and four Sennheiser G3's. I know I know, Sennheisers, but they are what I have to work with and I'll be upgrading to Lectros when I return. Which, if anyone has some 211's in blocks 19-21 for a modest price, I'd love to talk with you in early February.

The Maxx is great on batteries, but I'm bringing 3 NP-1's just in case I'm crunched for charging time. Plus some backups Powerex's in the device. And about 40 more AA Nimh's for the G3's.

I crammed all of my gear, clothing, and expendables for the month into a Pelican 1650, a Boreas Erawan 50 backpack/duffel, and a K-Tek KBLT35 boom pole case. The K-Tek case is holding my Klassic boom pole, 416 in blimp, and a Tascam DR-40 to use as a plant mic. Thank god for packing cubes.

I fly out tomorrow. I'll start posting from the road this weekend. I'm excited to push the Maxx this next month and document how my gear weathers the storm.

r7oNm1M.jpg

iANlCvb.jpg

Hey this is exciting, good luck!

i'll be following your updates.

dan.

Like. Plus 1.  Cool.

I like the idea of you doing this Nick. I'm sure it will be helpful to all and very helpful the one man band army that makes up the bulk of the sound recording world. Hope you have enough cold weather gear. 

CrewC

Thanks guys!

Crew: That was the hard part with this gig, as we'll be in the Northeast (and northern part of the rest of country and some Canadian stops) but then also in the southwest. It means I had to pack more clothing than I'd like, but still needed to cover myself (gloves too). Most of it are thinner layers so I can bulk up when I need to and shed them when it gets too warm.

And definitely one-man banding this. Interviews, run and gun, and grabbing board feeds all in a day's work!

I looked back at my thread made almost a year ago where I was asking about moving to LA and here I am, a network credit, a half year filled with work in Los Angeles, and now going on this trip, and I can't thank you all enough for all of the help and guidance you've given me. 

If you are stopping in or around Toronto hit me up if you need any local advice!

Jason

Thanks guys!

Crew: That was the hard part with this gig, as we'll be in the Northeast (and northern part of the rest of country and some Canadian stops) but then also in the southwest. It means I had to pack more clothing than I'd like, but still needed to cover myself (gloves too). Most of it are thinner layers so I can bulk up when I need to and shed them when it gets too warm.

And definitely one-man banding this. Interviews, run and gun, and grabbing board feeds all in a day's work!

I looked back at my thread made almost a year ago where I was asking about moving to LA and here I am, a network credit, a half year filled with work in Los Angeles, and now going on this trip, and I can't thank you all enough for all of the help and guidance you've given me.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and for following.

A short update: I'm in NYC and aside from the weather it's absolutely beautiful! We leave tomorrow and I'll start updating with photos and thoughts after that. I just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to Jack Norflus and Collen and Glenn from Zaxcom, as well as the guys from Pro Sound. I have one of the first Maxx's and was advised that I should get a slight power mod to it (it was addressed shortly after Maxx came out) and Jack set it all up with Zaxcom and Pro Sound NY was very quick and nice with the service considering how short notice it was. Beautiful showroom, too. The kindness I have been shown by other sound mixers has been fantastic. Thank you all! If I end up with extra time in your cities I'd love to grab food and hangout! I'll know more of my schedule and free times after tomorrow.

Hey guys: sorry had to wait for permission to talk about the nature. Until I get full approval, I can say yeah it's a doc following a band. I did two weeks with them prior in the studio and am following them on a cross-country tour (we cross the country twice, actually). By "running" I meant tht the Maxx is on all day everyday ready to roll (aside from eating and such)l. I just re-read it and it looks like I mistyped: I meant 12-16. Mostly it's around 12ish but we have long days too. Actual footage is around 4-8 hours a day plus live board feed.

I have a Tascam DR-40 as a backup. Running dual system. From using the Maxx on tons of work since getting it in early August I trust it on this trip. It's proven itself in my work prior and this tour will be a good stress test. Worst comes to it I can snag a 302 and throw it on the DR-40 but while understanding Murphy's Law I'm quite confident in it. That's one of the reasons I started this thread: to really grind the Maxx for a month straight and report on my results.

I've been shooting since Thursday and everything is going well. I spent the two weeks over the holidays to prepare and get my kit where I wanted it. Everything is working fluidly thus far.

I'm excited to be on this shoot. The band is awesome and my cam op makes pretty moving pictures. Producers have been helpful and I'm getting compensated nicely. Enough to upgrade my wireless when I get home and go have some fun with. And pay rent. that's always important.