On the road for a month with Maxx.

Nick Campbell

Here's some photos! It's sounding great from the mixing booth and the recordings are sounding awesome, due in large part to our live mixer, LA local/magician Mike Masters. I've only been getting a stereo feed and putting a room mic up, but hopefully I can start getting sub group mixes to take advantage of the six inputs on the Maxx. Neverclip is saving me during the heavy parts so I can still get a nice loud signal and not have to worry about pushing my luck in the sin department.

We made out way through NYC, Boston, Montreal, and are ow in Toronto, staying at an ex-drug kingpin's spare apartment. Montreal was fantastic and the people a some of the nicest I have ever met!

(Some of the photos came in sideways, I will try and fix this but only on an ipad).

post-6614-0-92786000-1389720115_thumb.jp

post-6614-0-14363600-1389720130_thumb.jp

post-6614-0-32942700-1389720147_thumb.jp

post-6614-0-90782800-1389720163_thumb.jp

post-6614-0-69169500-1389720810_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the major delay. I pretty much had to sit and wait for permission, but now all is clear and I can tell my story.

I've been touring with The Skins out of NYC while they hit the road with Albert Hammond Jr (of the Strokes) and Jake Bugg. We have our last show tonight in Nashville. It's been an awesome trip! We did NYC, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, Vancouver, BC, Portland, Oakland, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, and Memphis (lastnight). I got to see a lot of the country while we tore across in a Mercedez Sprinter. The Chicago to Vancouver drive was 32 straight hours of truck stop food and praying we didn't slide off the road.

Unfortunately we got locked out of shooting a lot of the venues due to large fees required or other rules. I'm happy to report that the board feeds I did get sound AWESOME. 2-4 stereo or group outs plus a room mic. The Skins put on a great show and we were lucky that most of the venues have good boards (I'm looking at you, Midas 3000 board in Minneapolis).

I've had zero problems with the Maxx. It's sat in my lap for thousands of miles in the van, gotten moved and tossed around by band members, had rain and snow on it (thanks, Midwest!) plus dust and crumbs, ran in temp ranges from -4F to 85F, and ran everyday for most of the day for three and a half weeks. I'm absolutely pleased with its performance. John Mayer struck up a conversation with me about it in Oakland. He has a good knowledge of production sound equipment and told me he was jealous of it compared to his 722 and loves Zaxcoms stuff.

Again sorry for the delays. It's been frustrating but luckily I've been journaling everyday and once I get on decent wifi (another problem this trip) I can start throwing up more detail from the travels. Here are some photos in the meantime:

• 2 years later...