Audio bag rain covers.

Rob Lewis

What are folks using for audio bag rain/Snow covers. I have tried the Versa-Flex, Petrol and quick slick Poncho's, audio bag slicker and just about everything out there and they are all terrible. To cumbersome, take too long to deploy, and are had to operate the mixer underneath. The best thing was the the PETROL PERC apron style. Packed down small, quick to deploy and put away and easy to reach under. Of course they discontinued it for the stupid ass poncho's.

Any ideas, seeing i cant get any company to make something that is worth a damn?

Rob 

I have the port brace QSA-4, its is a PIA to put on…but I  keep it in my run bag and velcro it on if I feel

there is going to be any precip. I loved the Petro Perc.

I saw a sound man with a sealine map case cover tented over his mixer held in place by mini spring clamp to his harness!

He said it works and when he goes inside he just pops the spring clamps folds the see thru sealing and spiring clamps it to his bag!JHW

I tried several, made several too, lost most of them (you have to put them somewhere to dry, and then you forget…)

I have two different ponchos, too. Not practical to use.

Now I carry a large enough piece of transparent plastic in a pocket of my bag, anytime.

Stay in place with 4 drawing clips, on the bag too.

I also carry in my luggage a ultra big and ultra sturdy garbage bag, if a liquid sky is falling on my head, I'm covered. 

It works. Not pretty, but.

And I can forget them, lost them, give them to anybody in need of such things.

<Stockpiling PERCs>     ?????   PERC

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PERC may refer to:

Perc may refer to:

• Tetrachloroethylene, also called perchloroethylene or perc, a chemical widely used for dry cleaning and metal-degreasing
  • Slang for percocet

Stockpiling what??

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

many types of annoyance around here.

James, the large map case just barely covers a medium size soundbag.  It's not as big as the PERC, or quite as well thought out.  But the price is right.   I think that might be part of the problem with rain covers.  It must be hard to sell a professional cover (I saw one today for $130) when a 1/8 of a $10 shower curtain will do the job.   Or a $15 map case.  And the map case looks as pro as the pro cover...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

many types of annoyance around here.

Sorry Brent, wasn't trying to annoy anyone if you felt that way.

But this was precisely the problem I faced. It was hard for me to get a professional cover within a short period of time, especially the area where I'm at. The dealers won't stock up things like these. It's a like the "chicken and egg" story where of course dealers won't stock it up if there isn't any enough demand for it. Fully understandable. But as I needed to get something very urgently which worked like that within days before flying off, I had to DIY something, and hence the idea of vilny/plastic sheet with gourmets came up. I posted that suggestion more for others who may have had the same problem. When I've used it several times on the set, some came up to me and asked if I had bought it or made it as they couldn't really tell, but they surely liked it. But that's a very subjective matter, and won't go into it. Having said that, later down the line, when time permitted, I still ordered in a Petrol Poncho. I still use both pending the conditions of the rain. Hope that helps. :)

Hi Lawrence,

It wasn't your post that was annoying, it was the one from Senator Tourettes.    :ph34r:  

In fact I was quite amused by your use of the term gourmets, by which I think you may have meant grommets.  But maybe part of the success of your rain cover is the way it integrates lovers of good food with their aprons.

;D

Cheers,

Brent Calkin 

Andre & pindrop - thank you.

I can understand why people like it, it also surprises me that someone else hasn't made something similar, as it doesn't look that hard.

I guess partly because until fairly recently Petrol were making it, it's a limited market, and a low profit return item.

It is fairly simple I guess for a machinist, but in fact by the time you've sourced the materials, cut them out, lined them up, thrown away the excess, machined them, packed it, transported it, and allowed for retailer mark up , I'm surprised it was being sold for around US $32.

Too much of a bargain to continue making it I guess?

"Its a limited market, and a low profit return item."      "but in fact by the time you've sourced the materials, cut them out, lined them up, thrown away the excess, machined them, packed it, transported it, and allowed for a retailer mark up, I'm surprised it was being sold for around US$32.   Too much of a bargain to continue making it I guess"

I'm all too familiar with that concept _ except in my case I haven't allowed for a retailer mark up...

Rob