Don't buy Loon Boom Poles

drewstorm

Actually its better to go direct from him as he's actually told me that's what he prefers. Don't pay him until you receive the items though....that's the real trick.

He prefers that? Then why would any dealer support him? If I said this to customers my dealers would tear me a new one. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Prahlad

Please, let us know when you receive your boom, I have a penta boom and i´m thinking on getting a 24´ if Loon is attending.

Is the best thing I have tried and every soundman that gets my boom freaks out!!

Hey Labarba,  sorry for the slow response,  

I ordered it and got it 4 days later.   It's a wicked pole.   One of the sections has two little fibres missing,  liek 2 one inch scratches awesome,  anyways,  minor thing couldn't be bothered sending back for a totally perfect finish.

My only regret is that it doesn't fit my K-tek boom holder,  i'll just have to grab a more generic one.

I got the 12 footer,  although I wish I got a 9 footer,  and then a 20 footer,  but 12 is a pretty flexible number,  covers 80% of everything for most stuff for me.  Just don't really want 3 poles.   

Hey Labarba,  sorry for the slow response,  

I ordered it and got it 4 days later.   It's a wicked pole.   One of the sections has two little fibres missing,  liek 2 one inch scratches awesome,  anyways,  minor thing couldn't be bothered sending back for a totally perfect finish.

My only regret is that it doesn't fit my K-tek boom holder,  i'll just have to grab a more generic one.

I got the 12 footer,  although I wish I got a 9 footer,  and then a 20 footer,  but 12 is a pretty flexible number,  covers 80% of everything for most stuff for me.  Just don't really want 3 poles.   

You can always get the larger boom case, the KBLT52. 

Be careful if there is missing graphite chunks from the sections. That's actually really bad as that is a weak point in the graphite and it will splinter over time and that is not fun. I'd get that taken care of right away, especially considering it should be under warranty since you just purchased it.

You can always get the larger boom case, the KBLT52. 

Be careful if there is missing graphite chunks from the sections. That's actually really bad as that is a weak point in the graphite and it will splinter over time and that is not fun. I'd get that taken care of right away, especially considering it should be under warranty since you just purchased it.

Cheers,  good to know, i think i'll get that taken care of. 

Love the pole,  but the internal coil isn't implemented nearly as well as my Ktec 16 footer,    it gets stuck when packing it down from an extended length.

The way the locking mechanism works is really strong, but you have to have to pack it down from the top down if it's extended...   if you pack it down from the bottom first... it's next to impossible to lock the next section up without it twisting... hard to explain, but I know with my K-tec I can pack it away any which way, without twisting. 

What I do love, is it's really stiff, the wing fits my zaxcom 742 against the shaft really tight (I put a tiny piece of mole skin) and a bongo  

and it's really light for a 12.8 feet pole.

If the coil cable didn't get stuck the way it does, I could live with the locking mechanism problem I was talking about above (which i'll post a video on)  

Mixed feelings.  There was just something so attractive about the forbidden fruit of loon.   

You can't go wrong with K-tec, mines over 10 years old and still perfect.  Loon reminds me of ferrari, it has some amazing performance characters, but needs tuning more often to keep it practical.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at the website recently and having worked with guys who got brand new poles last fall, I think the website is not up-to-date.

These guys had poles shorter than the ''older'' ones when collapsed (one more section) and the base design has changed a tad.

Poles were the same top-notch quality as it always was with Loon.