Best way to put a cos-11 inside a rycote lavalier windjammer

cinetj

I use these with cos-11s, but just using the foam that came with the windjammer over the microphone  and putting it inside isn't enough to hold the lav for a long time. Very frequently, the microphone falls from the windjammer. If any of you have a method to avoid this, please show (with nice pictures, if possible) and tell.

There is a little tag with the Rycote label on it.  I usually slip the body of the Sanken through that loop, then put on the foam sleeve, then pry into the fuzzie.  If I want a super quick / super solid all-day-long type of reality rig, sometimes I'll put an RM-11 rubber mount just barely holding the body of the mic, do the same thing, then take a whole strip of top stick and U-stick it from the bottom of the fuzzy around the rubber mount, and back up to the back side of the fuzzy... nothing going no where - does get messy after awhile, but this rig will survive a hurricane, sweaty boobs, running, just about anything that you can throw at it and it keep relatively quiet, and easy to maintain in the heat of battle, just peel another whole strip of top stick, refresh, and re-stick.  Obviously putting top stick on the fuzz is a sure fire way to either gunk up the material a bit and every time I disassemble the rig, it tears away a little bit of the fuzz - make sure you understand your materials become "expendables" at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing similar things with the overcovers, putting on the Sanken metal windscreen first and then using thin, long strips of moleskin or transpore tape to wrap the overcover tight around the metal screen. A rubber mount or vampire clip mount helps secure the whole thing to the wardrobe. I like the overcovers because they are fairly cheap as expendables and work well enough for the wind I've encountered. As long as the metal windscreen is well covered by fuzzy, it works great, though a little more muffled and you must take extra care for the rig rubbing on clothing.

• 4 weeks later...

I usually stick/glue some furry hair to the cable with 2 cm wide ultra thin medical paper tape. pretty quick and solid all day construction, but sometimes difficult to remove. So the windjammers often stay on the mics till the end of the exterior scene/shooting day/ week ;-)

Axel