Options for good 2 track portable digital recorder?

rstl99

FWIW, If the OP is not familiar with the 744's architecture, Input channels 3-4 are line level only, so two external mic preamps would be necessary for four microphones.

Thanks Rick, I appreciate you pointing that out to me.  That's what I had understood, but no harm in mentioning it.  Cheers.

Just to expand, my reason for suggesting the 744T is that for the same size and not much more weight as a 702, you get the added dual-media recording system and the expandability of adding a small stereo mixer or a board feed to the line inputs. For my purposes, as the output of the Soundfield ST450 is at line level, I can use all four inputs for my B-Format stuff.

Regards,

John

Just to expand, my reason for suggesting the 744T is that for the same size and not much more weight as a 702, you get the added dual-media recording system and the expandability of adding a small stereo mixer or a board feed to the line inputs. For my purposes, as the output of the Soundfield ST450 is at line level, I can use all four inputs for my B-Format stuff.

Makes sense, John.

I was curious about the Soundfield that you mentioned so looked it up.  Hmm, not cheap!   :blink: I suppose that's the kind of gear that separates the "men from the boys" in recording (so to speak), or more aptly, the "pros from the amateurs".  Well, this boyish amateur will probably look for something a little more affordable in that regard, and hopefully in the end I don't wind up with too good a recorder for the microphones I'll be using!  :unsure:

Yes, it's an expensive mic, but I was lucky enough to snag the demo model for a fairly hefty discount, just before the company was taken over and my long-time contact there retired. End of an era for me, having lusted after a Soundfield since 1979 after hearing the early demos, including spinning The Albert Hall through 360 degrees during The Last Night Of The Proms.

You'll never regret buying high-end gear, though. Inevitably, it pays for itself in the long-run. A lesson I learned the hard way...

Regards,

John

I'd put in a vote for the 702. It was the first recorder I bought, just over 3 years ago, and since then I've taken it throught Nepal, India, Cambodia and across Australia and never had a problem with it! As people have mentioned it only records to a single CF card but that's never proven an issue for me (yet!). The sound quality is fantastic.

That being said, I'll be scooping up a Sony D100 as soon as they are released for a more portable, carry everywhere, alternative.

I'd put in a vote for the 702. It was the first recorder I bought, just over 3 years ago, and since then I've taken it throught Nepal, India, Cambodia and across Australia and never had a problem with it! As people have mentioned it only records to a single CF card but that's never proven an issue for me (yet!). The sound quality is fantastic.

That being said, I'll be scooping up a Sony D100 as soon as they are released for a more portable, carry everywhere, alternative.

Thanks for that.  Actually the two solutions I am analyzing right now, for match to my needs, and cost/performance/flexibility are:

1. SD 702 (or 744T used) - for all the obvious reasons, quality and extreme reliability

2. Sony D100, plus either of the SD preamps: MixPre-D or SD USBPre-2.  The D100 can be used standalone with the benefits you indicate.  Or it can be combined with the SD preamp unit for use of external mics.  And the SD preamp can plug via USB into my Macbook, which gives me another way to record and fool around with sound.  From my reading, the MixPre-D might be favourable if I'm going to be doing some field recording, because it's self-powered (USBPre-2 needs to be powered through the USB connection so is more of a desktop tool)

Yes, the 744T is a very good choice. Just a quick note/question re: USB-2: it needs power from a USB port to operate, but could this also come from the USB port that, for example, the Remote Audio BDS can provide?

If I may venture (others may have firsthand experience), I would think the answer is Yes.

From USBPre2 manual:

USB bus powered. 5 V (+/- 10%), 500 mA max current from USB port (USBPre 2 will 

not function if connected through a passive USB connection or hub)
From BDS site:
The flagship of the new BDS line, the BDSv4u, has a built-in USB power outlet and an accessory port. The USB outlet is a 2A circuit capable of powering and charging devices as small as the iPod Touch and as large as an iPad.