Mumblecore + Red Epic....

JonG

Yup, thats what Im currently dealing with... dialogue that at times gets so low that the Epics fans drown them out. No compromises on this project either, the camera came with the DP (and has caused lots of problems in production already, as I said it would during the production meetings), and our actors are well seasoned vets who for whatever reason (and unlike any vets Ive worked with before) are mumbling worse than I could possibly imagine. This is a dialogue driven RomCom.... any advice on getting them to speak up, or should I just make a note of it in my sound report and move on? Thanks!

Get a red sharpie and scrawl ADR over the walls.

Does ADR stand for After Dialogue with a Red?

Seriously tho, mention it to director and producer (sometimes) and just explain that the camera is simply too loud. The only way to get around it is to get closer, have the cast speak up, lower the fan speed and run shorter shots, or rent a different camera.

If it's the performance they want, then help them find a way to record it better. Insist on quieter fan setting (cutting between takes will help) and a longer lens to keep the camera a bit further away. Stealthily watch them set the fan level in the menu.

If you can't understand the words in key story moments due to diction issues (not level) then tell director that although he/she and everyone there know the words, because we've all read the script and listened to several takes, the audience only get one chance to hear the words and get the story.

I would check the fan settings first. Really there is only so much you can do unless other departments want to help you out.

If they don't want to change the way they are shooting, make sure post has at least a few useable seconds of tone from each perspective. This will help the dialog editor a lot in smoothing the transitions. A couple seconds after the slate and before action is called is usually enough to do wonders in the editing room.

Be sure the RED fans are set as low as possible per the DIT and DP.  I've found they can roll for ages set to 40-50% and not overheat.  Absurd we have to deal with this kind of technical issue on a professional (hardly) camera.

Or you can convince them to look into this...

http://www.mecasax.ch/products/fanplate

Make sure camera is on the latest release build, and then insist that the DP uses the 'Adaptive Preview, Quiet Record' setting. Set the record fan speed to 25% and then up the sensor target temp to 70.

This will slowly ramp up the fans during a take rather than go straight into jet engine mode. It's the most sound friendly setting I have found if your only option after talking to the director is to make the best out of a bad situation.

I don't like the idea of a ramping up speed at all. At least if the fan goes on full blast, everyone knows to cut. Are you going to call cut at some point when you decide the fan is too loud? And how does post dial out an ever-changing background noise?

Set the camera at the lowest fan speed required for properly recording the dialog, given the ambient noise and distance to talent. If the camera keeps turning on, then cut between takes, or sort out a way to keep it cool, or move the camera away on a longer lens and increase fan speed. There are lots of choices.

I have them on quietest fan mode but its still clearly audible. This project I'm on has some serious low talker situations, and it's very dialogue driven, IE a lot of talking in quiet rooms.

It's the DPs camera, so I couldn't convince them to go with something else before the shoot. I've noted it in every days sound report and bring it up often. They'll just have to deal with it in post.

Jon: " This project I'm on has some... "

yes, we all get that...

" They'll just have to deal with it in post. "

one more time: it is their movie

yes  they will deal with it, one way or not...

and at some point you may become an annoyance, so having pointed the situation out, don't get yourself fired.

Is the director on a Comtek or similar listening device? The directors that wear headphones often hear the issue and correct the actors before the next take. I know all directors don't wish to wear them, but the ones that do are more responsive to sound issues. When they can't hear or understand the talent themselves, they are quick to listen to the sound mixer's suggestions.