WAV and MP3 needed at the same time - 788T

RPSharman

Hello group,

I am recording an interview on Saturday.

The client wants WAV files delivered, no problem.  But they ALSO want MP3 delivered throughout the day for transcription.  They want the MP3 to have time code embedded (metadata) or LTC on another track.

This is not my normal thing, so I'm asking for a bit of help for the best way to accomplish this with the gear I own.  I know the 633 can record both formats to different media, but I don't have one.

1) I can run my 788T and 744T at the same time, recording WAV on one and MP3 on the other, which seems a bit silly.

2) I can output TC from 788T into input 2 and record LTC, then convert WAV to MP3 on laptop throughout the day.

3) If I just record a WAV and convert the WAV to MP3 using Audacity, will metadata go along with the conversion?

Thanks,

Robert

I'm not sure why it seems silly to run two machines if the one by itself won't accommodate what you need to accomplish.  It sounds like it may be the most efficient way to deliver what you need for the client. 

Embedded time code is the most efficient as it cuts the upload time in half (one track vs two tracks consisting of a program track + time code track). 

" will metadata go along with the conversion? "

workflow test.

I'm working tonight and tomorrow and don't know a way of testing if Audacity will carry over metadata. I am therefore asking this knowledgeable community of sound people if they have experience having done what I am asking.

Robert

Robert,

The mp3 files created by the 744T are stamped with timecode and I have yet to hear from a transcription house that has had a problem seeing these stamps. You should be just fine delivering the 744T mp3's. I would not rely on Audacity when it comes to anything in the world of metadata.

- Jesse

[EDIT] - And with the 744T/788T combo you'll have full transport control of the 744T by using either the 788T's C.Link or Free Run - Auto Output Mute mode (If the 744T is in External TC - Auto Record mode).

Robert, the metadata you need will not be carried over to the mp3. There is no standard for tc in mp3 metadata, so that info gets put into the artist and album fields of the id3 tags.

I would run 2 recorders if i were in your situation, it sounds like the easiest, and then files are ready at wrap instead of having to go through conversion.

To be on the safe side, maybe send a report with the MP3s that has the TC start times of each clip (wav files in Wave Agent will do this) on the off chance there is a "disagreement" between how the transcribo people read MP3 TC and how you are making it.  I know there are a few big transcription houses that have their TC act together (or have you convert files to their variant of ogg vorbis etc), but nearly all the places I seem to deal with screw this up--hence the log.  They can always enter the file start TC as the file start time in their app and get question hits from that if the embedded TC doesn't work for them.

philp