Sony UWP-D Wireless Microphone Series:

Sebben

Does anyone know anything else about these new units?

The UWP-D series components are small and lightweight, making them suitable for a range of field production needs. Three packages of UWP-D series are available:

• UWP-D11: Bodypack Transmitter, Portable Receiver
• UWP-D12: Handheld Microphone, Portable Receiver
• UWP-D16: Plug-on Transmitter, Bodypack Transmitter, Portable Receiver

The UWP-D series uses new hybrid digital processing technology to achieve high quality sound. This technology performs signal processing by digital commanding, with transmission handled by conventional analog FM modulation. The result is improved transient response performance between the transmitter and receiver, and clear sound reproduction.

The UWP-D components’ display is twice the size of previous UWP series, with a white background making information easier to see.

The new series employs wide frequency coverage, with a wide band of up to 72 MHz coverage available, so users can select from a broader range of operating frequencies.

UWP-D11/D12 — $799
UWP-D16 — $1,029

post-7471-0-31533000-1389960060_thumb.pn

looks like theyve been studying Lectrosonics systems.

though the THD figure is a lot higher than other systems. 0.9% compared to 0.2% for lectro 400 series and <0.3% for audio ltd at maximum gain.

though what that would translate to in the real world would be hard to say without testing for yourself.

what is the price on them compared to other systems? sony tends to have quite a high MSRP when products are first released, though dealers may offer better deals. and service and support may be trickier when dealing with the appropriate department / sub division of sony compared the other manufacturers we know and love.

and, NAB isnt too far away, so see what else is on offer then.

• 3 weeks later...

A video introduction.

Seems to be pretty good value, $749, for plugin transmitter, body back transmitter, and body pack receiver. Metal construction

I wonder what corners they are cutting. If someone sees these at NAB could they take a look. Wondering how it all compares to the Sennheiser G3 system.

Sebben: " I wonder what corners they are cutting. If someone sees these at NAB could they take a look. Wondering how it all compares to the Sennheiser G3 system. "

huh?  well probably the same corners that other manufacturers cut when they make their lower end products...

like Sennheiser, who makes the Evolution wireless microphone systems (in series 100-300-etc, cutting corners on the lower end, adding corners on the higher end), and Sennheiser also makes medium and high level lines, too.

same thing for Shure, AKG, and the others...

while Id expect them to be good values for the $$, remember the rule: "generally speaking, you get what you pay for"...

and, BTW, if they have them at NAB, many folks will be looking them over.

say, have Lectro's patents expired already..?

• 1 month later...

The website isn't very clear, but here are two things of interest:

Operating Frequencies CH21 470.025 - 542.000 [MHz] ; CH33 566.025 - 630.000 [MHz] ; CH42 638.025 - 694.000 [MHz] ; CH51 710.025 - 782.000 [MHz]

RF Power 30mW / 5mW

Looks like you're limited to 30mW total output power. Reads like it might be a better sounding Evolution series.

say, have Lectro's patents expired already..?

No, they have not. Neither has our trademark on "Digital Hybrid Wireless"

Two separate issues.

The patent we have is for the acutal mode of transmission (predictive algorithm based), which is different than what Sony is doing (DSP compandor).

Our trademark on "Digital Hybrid Wireless" was just renewed actually. Sony assures us that they will not have "Hybrid Digital" all over their stuff at the show.

• 2 months later...

No one with any hands-on experience with these? I'd love some A/B sound quality samples compared to the Senn G3's for instance (with same model mics of course, like a Rode or a Sanken).

The guy on a bike without wind protection, talking about the rejection of the (omni) mics doesn't quite cut it. :)

One shouldn't expect too much, but if they sound any better than G3's, have a comparable range, that'd be useful info since they're priced about the same.

I have used them a fair bit.  First things first - the Sony mic they come with is shockingly bad.  Take your best lapel mic, wrap it in a dozen socks, and that's what they sound like.  Plug a decent microphone in though, and they're fine.  The socket isn't compatible with Sennheiser, but you can make an adaptor cable that works just fine.

Other than that, they're ok.  Range isn't brilliant and they don't work well in a bag (can't see the display), but they're very well built.  The antennas can't be disconnected.  The battery compartment is a great idea and really easy to change.

I still don't understand the frequency selection menu, it's gobbledegook.

Personally, I'd still buy the Sennheiser system.  The supplied microphone is miles better, and they're everywhere.

So you would say that in a bag they work about as well ad the Senns? :) Also, I don't think many folks here are seriousmy looking at either this or the Senn system with the idea of working with the stock mics. This is why I'd love to hear an A/B with this/Senns with a Sanken or DPA capsule.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

They're probably about the same.  I'm afraid I can't do a comparison, it's a big job spread over the year and I'm not using my own kit.  The client's kit has no facility to record audio.

I've had about 4 running at once, around the 606-612 range.  No problems with interference.

Do you have the tx's running on high or low power?

The reason i ask is that i found a huge difference in range when i switched to high power on the transmitter.

I had high hopes for these units but their too much like the last gen with even some of the same flaws. The included lav mic is useless and will have to be upgraded. The range is a bit better compared to a G3 but the sound quality isn't as good. These are certainly a bit clearer than the last gen UWP but they still suffer from some kind of compression. I think Sony designed these for DSLR users. I still have two of the last gen I use as hops and they actually work well for that purpose. And with the ECM77 their usable if I need more lavs than my Lectros. But if your doing location sound the G3 is still the best budget option. 

• 2 months later...

BUMP.

Has anybody used the plug on transmitter for their wireless boom? It's almost sacrilege to compare a Lectro to a Sony (again the "you get what you pay for" resonates with me) but I'm looking at a cheaper alternative to a Lectro HM and UCR411 combo which will cost far more than this Sony package- if the Sony plug on works as well as its beltpack transmitter (comparison tests to the G3s suggest it gets better range) then it might be something I'm willing to add to my existing kit of older Lectro 200c's.

There aren't any user reviews of the plug on transmitter available on Youtube. Anyone got some first hand experience to share?

Cheers,

Travis