Airfoil using Bluetooth speaker AND wifi

thought I share my finding with Airfoil.

Airfoil (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/) is a software that lets you send any audio source from your Mac to a speaker within your wifi-network.

So far I used to send audio to my stereo by using an Apple Airport-Express. Now I wanted to add a small speaker in an adjoining room. I choose a small bluetooth speaker and thought I could send my audio just in parallel to Airfoil via bluetooth. Well you can but there is (a different) delay which would lead to some echo between the 2 rooms.

After installing the Speakers app (free) (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/speakers.php) on my MBP and routing it´s output to the bluetooth speaker I now have both my speakers within the Airfoil-programm - but still a delay.

Here comes the trick provided by the very helpful Airfoil customer service:

Airfoil has a manual sync adjustment, as a debugging tool. Usually audio synchronization issues are attributed to network performance issues, but in rare cases it's because of hardware delays.

To enable the sync adjustment, follow these steps:

1) Quit and re-launch Airfoil while holding down the option key. This will bring up the debugging window.

2) Turn the Sync Adjustment debugger to On, and click Done.

Now each remote speaker will have an additional slider below the volume slider - that's the sync adjustment. The center is 0 offset, and the ends are +/-1 second. Adjustments only take effect when connecting, so if you're experimenting with it, you'll need to disconnect, adjust, and then reconnect to see how well it worked.

Airfoil will remember your adjustments after you quit, even if you turn Sync Adjustment off. (All that does is enable/disable the GUI, not the adjustment settings.)

I just needed to add some +++ to the bluetooth-speaker which put it in sync with the rest of my Airfoil-speakers ...

Best, Matthias

Sounds like the initial time alignment might be a bit tedious, but once it's all set up, what a cool little bit of technology.

I use my Airport Express at home, and this sounds like a perfect solution for some outdoor speakers I want to put up under the eaves in my backyard.

Thanks for the post and links, Matthias : )

~tt