Google Search on JWSOUND

Jeff Wexler

I have installed Google Search routine directly on the site. In the usual place, entries into the Search bar will use Google to search the site. You still need to make sure that it is searching the Forums. The return from Google is s modal page (often several pages) with a limited number of results on each page. Not ideal but the results are far more complete than the built in search routines.

Feel free to play around with it and let me know if you think it is an improvement. Comments welcome from everyone (except of course, the man with the hat).

I still prefer searching directly from Google because of the limited result page.

If you could patch ip.board for that url4short spam code injection issue that's been plaguing the site that would be great. 

I'm not sure which issue you are referring to. The URL re-direct problem was solved, I believe, by the security patch I installed along with the version update to IP.Board.

When was the patch installed?  I've gotten the wayward redirect fairly recently.

(BEAT)

...as a matter of fact, I just now tried searching from the Google site and got the redirect.  First I get the search results, but when I click on one of them, it's redirected.  Typically, if I go back and click on the link again, it'll take me to JWS.

I'm looking forward to playing with the new on-board Google search.

I hope you understand I'm not complaining -- just offering feedback.

I've tried the JWS Google and it seems to work.  One advantage of using the actual Google site is that if you click on a link and decide you want to try another of the listed links, you can just hit the BACK key and click on another.  On JWS you need to re-enter the search.

A good move forward, nonetheless.  It's helpful to be able to do a quick search without leaving the site.

Again, just meant as discussion and feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

One advantage of using the actual Google site is that if you click on a link and decide you want to try another of the listed links, you can just hit the BACK key and click on another.  On JWS you need to re-enter the search.

You can address this problem if you open the link in a new browser tab.  For example, using Firefox on a PC, you can configure your mouse to open a new tab when you click the scroll wheel.  So that way, the search results remain open in one tab while but with one click, you can view the individual search items in another tab.

You can address this problem if you open the link in a new browser tab.  For example, using Firefox on a PC, you can configure your mouse to open a new tab when you click the scroll wheel.  So that way, the search results remain open in one tab while but with one click, you can view the individual search items in another tab.

Thanks, Laurence -- good tip.

This also works in Chrome.

• 1 month later...

Using Safari, I'm finding the same thing. It doesn't matter what search term I use. The only way to avoid the re-direct is to open the search result page in a new tab.

Your browser has been hijacked by crapware and it will keep happening until you remove it.

Your browser has been hijacked by crapware and it will keep happening until you remove it.

I've run into the same problem on three different devices. As Flipstar has pointed out, there is apparently another thread on this issue, and it sounds like Mr. Wexler is working on it. Meanwhile, opening in a new tab is no big deal.

Do you get the same bad result no matter what search term you use? Can provide several search terms that fail?

Using my preferred browser (Safari - I haven't checked others):

It doesn't matter what device I use.

It doesn't matter what search term(s) I use.

It doesn't matter whether I do a regular Google search or [search term(s)] site:jwsoundgroup.net (I have not tried other search engines).

It happens only with this site (I don't know whether it is also an issue with other fora using the same software).

It has been an issue for some time, the site owner is aware of it and opening a search result in a new tab avoids the problem.