Mike's $400 bag mixer cart

Michael Miramontes

Ok, so I've been planning my next bag mixer cart for some time now. I've looked into 80/20 materials, bought all the gear to weld aluminum, researched how to bend aluminum to make trays, etc., etc. etc...It started occurring to me that I've been spending more time researching then actually building. So, I told myself, "self, why don't you just build something as cheap and quick as possible because you still haven't started this ultimate cart you've been dreaming about." Thus began my quest to build a decent bag mixer cart for under $400. Yes, it can be done easily and I'll show you how.

Stay tuned for pics, prices, part numbers, and instructions. =)

Ok, so the reasoning behind this thread was to show anyone with basic building skills how to build their own bag mixer cart. Since I wasn't shooting for something that involved a ton of engineering I decided to source all my materials from locations that most people have access to. I wanted this to be as basic as possible so that anyone can do it. So here we go,

The Cart:

Harbor Freight Polypropylene Service Cart $97.99 (Sign up for their email list or check their site regularly. They almost always have 20% off coupons)

The Wheels:

Grainger- part number 1ULH2 ($69.90 each) and 1ULH3  ($44.75). These are the most expensive part thus far however you won't mind paying it since the wheels that come with the HF cart won't last and are noisy. I chose these specific wheels because they have the same mounting plate as the HF casters so they'll bolt right up without any modifications. A cheaper alternative for the swivel caster is Grainger part number 6XZ44 ($38.13 each) although they don't come with brakes. However, they probably have a model with the brake I just didn't have time to look it up. 

C-Stand pole:

I'm not sure if this is the correct name but you all get the idea. I'm sure most people can source this from a local film supply vendor. I purchased mine from Modern Studio Equipment for about $40. The owner is great and will custom make these in any size for you.

U-Bolt for C-stand pole.

Home Depot 1/2" Pipe U-bolts (2)....I'll get an item number on this shortly.

Boom Pole Holder

Bass Pro Shops-Driftmaster Lean Mean Rod Holder $14.99

Grip Head

Film Tools-Kupo Grip Head $24.25 I'm sure most people can source another model/type grip head since they all basically do the same thing. 

Here are some pics thus far. I plan on adding a few more bells/whistles so keep an eye on this thread for more info.

IMG_3225_zpse0bb08cf.jpg

IMG_3224_zpsd27566b4.jpg

IMG_3223_zpsa99b9dd7.jpg

IMG_3222_zps222eea8b.jpg

IMG_3221_zps32f8df72.jpg

IMG_3220_zps214a3587.jpg

IMG_3219_zps8df86694.jpg

VERY NICE! How does the cart go together? Is that one fairly sturdy, despite being from China Freight? I've thought about that one for a while, but didn't move because I hated the wheels. You've solved that for me.

Damnit... Now I'm thinking about another cart.

Yes, the cart is solid. I've been using it for a little while now and it's withstood the abuse of production. The trays screw on the legs with Phillips head screws. So, anyone with a compact car can essentially keep a cordless drill with them and assemble/disassemble this fairly easy.

I'll post an assembly vid or some pics to show how this goes together. For now I just wanted to get the info/pics out.