200 series servcing - worth it?

jozzafunk

I've got 4 UCR200's 2ea in 21/26 which I've been using the last couple of years and a 411/400a - I feel the 200's are all overdue for a good service but being based in NZ this comes at a reasonable cost so I'm weighing up whether to try sell them and upgrade or service them.  Can anyone comment on any performance gains they noticed post service?  I also have to factor in not having them for however long it takes.

I have been getting very variable range with the block 21's, it was a fairly congested block until the fairly recent digital tv switch over - they seem to be worse now than they have been in the past - 1 of the blk 26's has pilot tone issues, ie won't lock onto pilot tone ( which I've spoken to Lectro about ) and they're all getting on - must be 10 years plus old - I thought they may be due a tune up.

My experience is that they work or they don't. Not much in between.

Your troubles might be unrelated.

But perhaps it's time for new gear, and set those aside for backups. They won't have a lot of value on the used market, and it never hurts to have backup.

Maybe buy one 400 in a better block and send your 200 to Lectro for service. Maybe you can find a US buyer in B21 who can take the shipment directly from Lectro.

Thanks RP - That was the personal experience I was after - Yeah planning on upgrade too, just deciding on best way to do it - 

Cheers Mark -  I've since been recommended a local guy who does the work. 

Ant - 21's been ok Wellyside, I was out shooting where I'd been a couple weeks earlier with no issues, so dunno - probably should get a freq scanner that covers 21 - have been doing the rf test with these till now

Provided you bought the 200's from Sound Techniques there is no postage charge to the USA

Lectro do an amazing job, find problems you would not see and update firmware.

From my knowledge Lectro do not release service info for 200's onwards, only 187 to 195

mike

All pretty good advice from the crew above. Tuneups are rarely needed. You seem to have identified the block 21 problem as interference and a tuneup is not going to improve that. The pilot tone problem is probably a broken pilot tone crystal. I'm so glad we got rid of those in the 400 series since it was the #1 failure in the 200 series. Frankly, I'd run the system in pilot tone bypass and save the repair costs.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro 

Larry I have a 211 in block 26 that works fine as far as I can tell. It's on firmware 1.4. . I know the current firmware is 3.1. Worth getting this updated?

Ps. Sorry to hijack this thread but while we are on the subject

No. The firmware updates were for changes in available parts. On your unit, the highest firmware is 1.6 and will do nothing to improve performance. Definitely, save your hard earned money.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

is it best when upgrading to a 400 to purchase a TX or RX first ? or doesn't it really matter ?

Hi Mark,

IMHO, on a technical level, it doesn't make much difference. I would make the choice on what you need: A slot receiver (SRb) says receiver first. A waterproof transmitter (WM) or a tiny transmitter (SM) says transmitter first. And so forth.

If you were replacing a UM200 and UCR200 eventually with a UM400a and a UCR411, a well balanced coin will give you today's answer. That and how much money you want to spend right now, since the receiver is more than the transmitter.. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

• 8 months later...

I have a UCR 201 with the infernal unresponsive switches. You really have to mash them. This is particularly annoying when you are scanning or setting tone. Any user solutions out there that have worked for this problem? Must I send them back to Lectro?

I just had the same problem with my 201. Sent it to lectro and for $120 I got a brand new front panel. In my opinion totally worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk