Quick release boom pole mounts

Tilt Down

i used to use QC frm Ktek. Failed on me couple of times, it depends on a nut to secure the base and it easily comes loose every few months. Takes a coin and a Gerber to release the nut from the base.. ever since i changed to Ambient, Base never leaves the boom pole tip.

Thew only quick release I can recommend (and I have tried them all) is the original Gary Woods Quick Release. This design, which is significantly different even in concept than all of the others, is no longer available. Gary stopped making them and after an agreement with K-Tek, K-Tek started manufacturing them calling it the Woods Quick Release. I think K-Tek sold very few of them (and it may not even be offered by K-Tek anymore). The K-Tek version, though retaining the original design and use concept, was quite different than the original Gary Woods item I have and use on all of my fishpoles. 

I know it is somewhat pointless in this thread to even be discussing this since the original Gary Woods product is no longer being manufactured. They have performed flawlessly for me for probably the last 15 years or more (I don't really remember when I got the first one from Gary). The design allows you to change out the whole microphone, mount and windscreen with one motion as one piece without having to disconnect any cables. Each of your various microphones are fully assembled in the windscreen and mount, ready to be swapped out in about 4 seconds --- Don has even changed a mic while we are rolling (kind of scary for me) it is that quick. 

K-Tek no longer makes the K-QC or the Woods Quick Release. We currently do not have a quick release but are planning to come up with one at some point. 

I know Sound Guys Solutions makes one, but I haven't seen it. Of course there is also the Ambient quick release that many people have. I'm not aware of any other quick releases currently on the market. 

If anyone is using the classic Woods Quick Release (as marketed by PSC), I still have a few of the boom pole adapters available. These permit mounting shock mounts equipped with the Woods adapter to any boom pole without the need for permanently mounting an adapter on the pole. They also work nicely for attachment to magic arms and the like.

And, no, I don't have any comparable item for the shock mount. You would need to already have that component.

For more details:

http://productionrecording.com/Tools/QuikRelease.html

David

post-16-0-91557800-1390339363_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-84369000-1390339379_thumb.jpg

Thanks, David, I had forgotten about that item. One of the big stumbling blocks for the original Gary Woods QR was the fact that you had to cut the top off your fishpole and install the fishpole piece permanently. There was a lot of resistance to doing this even though Gary would mount it for you, no charge, and he did very good careful work. The K-Tek version got around this, sort of, by offering a quick release item that would attach to any pole without modification --- the whole thing failed in the marketplace anyway. The PSC solution was quite helpful on this issue but the still failed to make much headway.

+1 on Gary Woods quick-release. Best system I ever used. I think Gary was a bit ahead of his time on this. Too bad it no longer available. The only modification I made was to include a spring-style strain relief to the top section, which prevnts the textile covered cable from getting sliced through by the knurled lock not when pulling the top section from the pole.

--S

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone else have experience with the Sound Guys Quick Release System?

Thanks,

Bob

Resurrecting this thread to respond to Bob's post.  I've spent some time using the Sound Guys Solutions second generation quick release system.  It is friction based so there is no damage to the threads on the boom pole tip.  I like it a lot.  It is rock solid with my cmit5u inside a Rycote WS 4 Kit.  Attached photos show their QR system with a Cinela OSIX mount.  If you're thinking of getting a QR system definitely consider the SGS system.  Just be sure to get the second generation model with the lever.

post-2582-0-13568800-1412473743_thumb.jp

post-2582-0-41535500-1412473794_thumb.jp

post-2582-0-47709900-1412473812_thumb.jp

Ive been using the SGSv2 for a couple of months now and it has been rock solid. My boom ops love it. I was using the Ambient QRs but they did lock up after a couple of years. They also left some nasty damage to my boom pole threads.

For the money Sound Guys Solutions QR is the best in my book.

K&M makes a quick-change adaptor now too. Lightweight, but not suitable for booming. I was able to easily unlock it on a horizontal boom. Seems to be intended for stage mic stands. Cheap.

A good budget solution would be the Triad-Orbit system. If it wasn't heavier than a mic and suspension (186 grams) I'd use it everywhere. For now I use just one for my antenna array on the mast.

I bought years ago on eBay about 30 of those plastic Sennheiser made quick change adaptors (with the big red button).

They were designed for the stage, and are no longer made. I bought a whole old new stock.

I put them everywhere since, and, although a bit flimsy when the mic is heavy, they do the job.

Maybe there are some available somewhere. Cheap and functional.

• 5 months later...