Zaxcom product launch

Bob

I'm pretty sure it won't be a Deva 24 or 32, but when, and if, there is a higher track count Deva, I would suspect it would be 32 tracks to on par with the SD PIX-260 (even though I am yet to hear from anyone that they ever even got close to doing 32 tracks). For me, of course, 8 or 10 tracks is all I can handle anyway.

The guys at "Ink Master" fill up a Pix 260's track capacity just fine.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure it won't be a Deva 24 or 32, but when, and if, there is a higher track count Deva, I would suspect it would be 32 tracks to on par with the SD PIX-260 (even though I am yet to hear from anyone that they ever even got close to doing 32 tracks). For me, of course, 8 or 10 tracks is all I can handle anyway.

I've done 32+ a few times, 60 even.  If Zax made a 32 chan Deva-derived machine I bet they would sell, to replace all the Pix/JoeCo/computer rigs out there on the big shows (Les Mis etc etc).

philp

Wisycom doesn't even come close in terms of feature set. I think probably ALL the other manufacturers are going to introduce wideband transmitters and receivers (multiple blocks) at some point but those units will still not have the level of innovation, features and functions of the Zaxcom wireless.

Well one can still upgrade existing TRX and QRX with the new modulation scheme to get added link range at least. And that's free.

Wisycom doesn't even come close in terms of feature set. I think probably ALL the other manufacturers are going to introduce wideband transmitters and receivers (multiple blocks) at some point but those units will still not have the level of innovation, features and functions of the Zaxcom wireless.

As I said in my follow up post Jeff. I'm impressed.

I'm not a Zax wireless user at the moment, but I would count myself lucky if the equipment I already had could be upgraded to include a lot of the features of the new line with just a firmware download--not even a trip to the factory.  So not only will your current gear just as well today as it did yesterday, it will work better.  Meanwhile, how many other fields have gear that allows improvement this way, as opposed to an outright sale and rebuy?  Compare to the situation with cameras?

philp

I'm not a Zax wireless user at the moment, but I would count myself lucky if the equipment I already had could be upgraded to include a lot of the features of the new line with just a firmware download--not even a trip to the factory.  So not only will your current gear just as well today as it did yesterday, it will work better.  Meanwhile, how many other fields have gear that allows improvement this way, as opposed to an outright sale and rebuy?  Compare to the situation with cameras?

philp

Philip,

I've bought 4 TRX900LANC since june 2013 (apart from QRX and other Zaxcom things), one of them was defected and I had it back from a warranty service in september, I reported many early issues so, in a certain way, as other ones here, I tested them in the field...

I'm very very disappointed and a little angry that my 3-6 months old, around 10k€ gear, today is 'discontinued'.

Compare to the situation with cameras?

philp

I upgraded my camera last month via free download to add more features, frame rate options, and a massive UI improvement.

This is the same camera you probably hate, but in 6 months, it will be serviced with the latest and greatest sensor, logic boards and cooling fans as a paid upgrade program.

It's rare, but it does exist as previously mentioned with the SR trade in. Heck, even Sennheiser had a buyback program where you could at least get something for your outdated wireless.

There is no difference between single and dual mode reception other than the diversity type. The 4 dB difference that the QRX100 had is now eliminated. The QRX200 and QRX235 will be better than the RX900 by a wide margine.

Glenn

That's awesome!  I love running my QRX in dual mode to reduce the weight of my bag.  I can't wait for the updates!

Philip,

I've bought 4 TRX900LANC since june 2013 (apart from QRX and other Zaxcom things), one of them was defected and I had it back from a warranty service in september, I reported many early issues so, in a certain way, as other ones here, I tested them in the field...

I'm very very disappointed and a little angry that my 3-6 months old, around 10k€ gear, today is 'discontinued'.

I believe I'm correct in stating that you get upgraded range for free, as both your transmitters and QRX100 will benefit from the new modulation method.

Better wireless range is the holy grail in our work.

Digital output: Still 32kHz?

The DAC is 48kHz.

Last I remember, when someone tried connecting their QRX digitally to a yamaha board without sample rate converting, they had issues until they found that the QRXS outputs 32KHz.

With the automatically sample rate converted input of most current recorders, this isn't an issue.

It was just a question that popped up, and I am pleased to have added some more confusion to this discussion.

Last I remember, when someone tried connecting their QRX digitally to a yamaha board without sample rate converting, they had issues until they found that the QRXS outputs 32KHz.

With the automatically sample rate converted input of most current recorders, this isn't an issue.

It was just a question that popped up, and I am pleased to have added some more confusion to this discussion.

still at 32KHz

thank you Jack.

i just want to stress again, this absolutely is not an issue. and i will continue to use the digital outputs with my current setup.

even if the maximum frequency output is 14KHz, there is very little information that high that will be missed for our purposes, and probably 99.9% of its use in general. and before some smartass says it, if you are doing that kind of high end classical recording, why aren't you using a cable?