Zaxcom product launch

Bob

Here's my lay understanding:

*Edit- I am still confused about the naming scheme, or why would you name the lower cost RX with a higher number (QRX235) and the higher cost wideband RX with tunable 35MHz filter a lower number (QRX200)*

Unless Zaxcom have figured out a way to get around the laws of physics with their new devices, if you want the flexibility to choose any block with maximum range you are either going to need a wide band diversity shark fin set up -and/or- 8 sets of whips (ouch!) for each QRX235 and 4 whips for each TRXLA2 per channel.

It has not been divulged whether or not this can be a hardware upgrade to existing QRX100 boards, although I have my credit card waiting if that announcement comes.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to the discussion of hardware upgrading, I feel it should be given due consideration ( not free but at cost +X) for particular now legacy units. That would appease recent purchasers, lengthen overall ownership, strengthen brand confidence, and improve resale when upgrading and or retiring.

And offering qrx 200 faceplates at cost to qrx100 owners that upgrade and make the request I also feel would be a very feel good, high five buddy nice move to do.

Here's my lay understanding:

The 35MHz filter only applies to the QRX235 (designated by the 35 in the naming scheme). Frequency blocks are more or less 35MHz wide, and the filter is tunable to reject RF outside of the user selected range.

That said, unless Zaxcom have figured out a way to get around the laws of physics with their new devices, if you want the flexibility to choose any block with maximum range you are either going to need a wide band diversity shark fin set up -and/or- 8 sets of whips (ouch!) for each QRX235 and 4 whips for each TRXLA2 per channel.

It has not been divulged whether or not this can be a hardware upgrade to existing QRX100 boards, although I have my credit card waiting if that announcement comes.

The new 35Mhz tracking filter only applies to the QRX200 wideband receiver.  The ability to tune the filter is a key part of what allows the QRX200 to be wideband.  It is also the reason that both transmitters being received by the QRX200 must be broadcasting within 35Mhz of each other. 

So an easy way to think of it this:

The QRX235 is the same as the QRX100 but with increased range (35mhz block)

The QRX200 has a much wider tuning range, but both transmitters must still be within a 35mhz spacing of each other, as the 'special filter' in the QRX200 is still only 35mhz wide, but it can move up or down the entire range of the receiving bandwidth.

Kind of like a slide-rule. 
Slide_rule_scales_front.jpg

Constantin and Jeff...

I don't feel cheated.

Maybe I'm not explaining well what I want to say. I bought a Fusion more than 3 years ago. If Zaxcom yesterday should have announced a new improved Fusion, surely I couldn't have nothing to complain about.

What is disappointing me is the fact that I've bought new gear less than 6 months ago (new released gear, not new as not used before), I faced with all its early issues and now it is 'discontinued'. 

In my opinion it is not fair that a product in our business could have a retail life of less than 6 months.

Why? Did your transmitters stop working today?
When you bought them, did you do so on the merits of the system you knew about then, or did you hope and expect an upgrade in the future?

Just because Zaxcom won't make any new LANCs doesn't mean they won't service them.

And yes, they're still working and I've bought that because of its features and at that moment I was not thinking to future upgrades, but things are really priced and now old units are very devaluated after a very minimal age and use.

But I don't want to be tedious and my english is not so good to explain my feelings as i would.

So, at the end, I will wait to ear how this situation will go on and I agree with fieldmixer.

With regards to the discussion of hardware upgrading, I feel it should be given due consideration ( not free but at cost +X) for particular now legacy units. That would appease recent purchasers, lengthen overall ownership, strengthen brand confidence, and improve resale when upgrading and or retiring.
And offering qrx 200 faceplates at cost to qrx100 owners that upgrade and make the request I also feel would be a very feel good, high five buddy nice move to do.

Zaxcom continues the search for the WOW signal.... 

Fantastic work. They've addressed the only issue that needed strengthening with what were already the best wireless on the market.

I'd definately get my QRX's updated if that were possible - but it seems not so? 

Unbelievable... It the range can be confirmed,  it is a major improvement in radio transmission.
To be tested, as soon as possible.

In the video, Glenn and Jack makes me remind of Marconi reaching a radio signal over the atlantic ocean !

I'd like to know more about the firmware update for the QRX100's, and the RF boards power in the new QRX200's.

When I run the firmware update my QRX100 is it then as powerful as a QRX200 within it's specific block - or does the new QRX200 have a more powerful RF board?

Will the update also eliminate the 4db difference of gain between single and dual mode in the QRX100, of is that only in the QRX200?

What exactly do you mean by old. It's subjective so it's hard to know exactly what you mean by that.

Let me clarify.

The hardware in the QRX200 and QRX235 is compleatly different than the hardware that is in the QRX100. As well as the hardware that is in the the LA2 and LT2 transmitters. So to upgrade the units would basically require changing out the entire unit with exception of the case. So it is not as simple as swapping out a few components or even a board.

The new modulation software that will be available to everyone using a QRX100, or any transmitter that is running software higher than 7.30 will be able to upgrade their wireless free of charge and get upto a 50% increase in range.

Unbelievable... It the range can be confirmed,  it is a major improvement in radio transmission.
To be tested, as soon as possible.

In the video, Glenn and Jack makes me remind of Marconi reaching a radio signal over the atlantic ocean !

I hope when these units get into the hands of the users people will start posting their own videos.

I'd like to know more about the firmware update for the QRX100's, and the RF boards power in the new QRX200's.

When I run the firmware update my QRX100 is it then as powerful as a QRX200 within it's specific block - or does the new QRX200 have a more powerful RF board?

Will the update also eliminate the 4db difference of gain between single and dual mode in the QRX100, of is that only in the QRX200?

The new modulation firmware changes the way the digital signal (ones and zeros) gets sent to the receiver. It basically makes the signal easier for the transmitter to send (so it can go farther) and makes it easier for the receiver to decode the signal this equals better range.

The new hardware in the receiver basically allows the receiver to need less signal to decode the ones and zeros - thus a signal that would have been a dropout in the past is now a usable signal. 

Constantin and Jeff...

I don't feel cheated.

Maybe I'm not explaining well what I want to say. I bought a Fusion more than 3 years ago. If Zaxcom yesterday should have announced a new improved Fusion, surely I couldn't have nothing to complain about.

What is disappointing me is the fact that I've bought new gear less than 6 months ago (new released gear, not new as not used before), I faced with all its early issues and now it is 'discontinued'.

In my opinion it is not fair that a product in our business could have a retail life of less than 6 months.

And yes, they're still working and I've bought that because of its features and at that moment I was not thinking to future upgrades, but things are really priced and now old units are very devaluated after a very minimal age and use.

But I don't want to be tedious and my english is not so good to explain my feelings as i would.

So, at the end, I will wait to ear how this situation will go on and I agree with fieldmixer.

No, I think I do understand how you feel. I, too, have recently bought some Zaxcom wireless. Some of which I bought used, which always makes it easier.

But some were new. But I wanted and needed them at the time. So I'm not at all annoyed that there are newer and better versions today. This is how it always is and will be with technology.

And I don't really think your wireless will have lost a lot of their resale value.

Buy your iphone 5 today and be annoyed that Apple will release the iphone 6 tomorrow. That's part of life. As is the understandable, but inevitable disappointment.