Zaxcom product launch

Bob

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Slide Rule" noun. (slid rool) The set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct when performing the Electric Slide (see: Urban Line Dance). The rule states that an individual or group must have consumed copious amounts of alcohol prior to shaking ones money maker on the dance floor.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

there seems to be a lot of discussion (I'm behind on my reading...) about gear folks have that is being superceded by superior new products.:

Vale: " It seems to me not fair for the ones here (me included) that invested a lot of money on that....

edit: I'm also guessing that, with these extended blocks on QRXs, my brand new MicPlexer became useless. "

professionals are business people, and should acquire gear that meets their needs; I've said this before: there will always be new models coming out.

as for what is fair, that depends, and a major factor is the POV... as for the mic plexer being useless,  it will still do the job you needed it for, and acquired it to do.  and for trade in programs: mark O: " trading in X piece of equipment plus $200 and getting a brand new thing in it's place. Zaxcom making $200 from me is better than making 0$. " and a manufacturer is in the same boat with the earlier products as the end user... OTOH,  many wireless manufacturers offered trade-in rebates to ease the pain of the Digital Dividend transition and encourage the purchase of their products to replace the gear being made obsolete...so isn't it nice that some of the improvements, where practical and possible, are being made available to owners at no charge..?

that depends on POV: it costs a manufacturer a tidy bundle ($) to develope and bring a product to market, as well as the actual material and manufacturing costs, so from a manufacturer's POV, making $0 is usually better than giving away $ n,nnn.

and you know what..?

we will see more newer, better products coming out not only in February and March, but particularly in April!  I'm about to start another thread...

So I ordered the new QRX200 RX. As soon as I get it "and also get the new firmware" I will test:

Old modulation OLD TX with  old modulation qrx100

New modulation OLD TX with new modulation qrx100

New modulation OLD TX with new modulation NEW qrx200

unfortunately I can not afford the new TX

Also will test the new modulation with whips and sharkfins

The test that I have in mind is all different configurations in the same bag at the same time and one by one.

the first test you have in mind Rado wont work. the modulation is in the transmitter, the receiver just decodes it. and the receiver (with the new software) will automatically detect the modulation scheme it is to decode.

but i am curious to see the results between new and old modulation, and new and old receivers.

So I ordered the new QRX200 RX. As soon as I get it "and also get the new firmware" I will test:

Old modulation OLD TX with new modulation qrx100

New modulation OLD TX with new modulation qrx100

New modulation OLD TX with new modulation NEW qrx200

unfortunately I can not afford the new TX

The test that I have in mind is all different configurations in the same bag at the same time and one by one.

What is cool is the TRX alows you to seamlessly switch between the old modulation and new modulation for a very easy A/B test

Vale :" I'm very very disappointed and a little angry that my 3-6 months old, around 10k€ gear, today is 'discontinued'. "

would you be happier if they didn't say they are discontinued, but just stopped making and selling them, as a newer product has replaced them..?

earmuffs: "  products I am a bit disappointed that my dealer didn't advise me to hold off for a month or so for some "exciting new products" related to the purchase I made in which I was told that I had to forego one option (NC) to get the other (125mW),  and was told it was not possible to have both..." 
the dealer didn't know..

".I think the point people are making about a trade-in or upgrade path is totally valid in circumstances like this, we're not talking iPhones here. "
yes, we are...I've mentioned before: new models are frequently released... It isn't slowing down...

rado: " misunderstood what the 35MHZ filter does... "
completely.

doug: "  8 sets of whips (ouch!) for each QRX235 and 4 whips for each TRXLA2 per channel. "
huh?  why..?

fieldmixer: " I'm patenting an antenna that is length adjustable. "
good luck, they have been around for decades...
" With regards to the discussion of hardware upgrading, I feel it should be given due consideration "
and you may do this with your new antenna product.

VM: "  It the range can be confirmed,  it is a major improvement in radio transmission. "

well, at least for this product...
and will now be required on all productions, including CL.

Edited by studiomprd

Sound quality is one of the major factors that I'm looking into Zaxcom for my first wireless units. I've used Lectro my whole career and would just prefer a 100% digital signal that I can still get usable range from in the bag with whips.

I'm watching True Blood season 5 and instantly I know what wireless they are using from the signature low level hiss, fluttering and artifacting throughout the season.

Lectros sound pretty good even in poor situations and sound excellent in excellent situations, but so many times now my gear is being pressed into unknown operating modes with little notice.

The ability to record locally on a whim, the ability to go from whispering to shouting to recording rappers in a noisy nightclub and adjust any settings in the bag - - all of these are great things for me, but the kicker is wideband and range. Range and block limitations are my two worst enemies and Zaxcom seemingly knocked them dead.

The last two are what really finally makes the price a worthwhile value proposition for me to really consider spending the extra to get the extra. Just my two cents.

Not trying to hate on Lectro, as I've used and loved them for a long time, but the caveats in a hectic reality environment are what cause the most issues I have to address or tweak during my workday. Less tweaking means more mixing or more booming or more staying out of the way and letting the production flow well. I can't wait to get ahold of the new wireless systems and hear what others are seeing from the range.

There will always be competition, this is a good thing (even though at times it makes some of our decisions a little more involved than they used to be). None of the other manufacturers we know and love are standing still, this is a certainty, and I look forward to any and all announcements and products from them.