Zaxcom product launch

Bob

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

consultant: "above 16khz ( maximum audio frequency reproduced by a 32khz sampling rate )"

actually, that is not quite correct...

the sampling rate must (according to Nyquist) be greater than double the highest frequency...

and Nyquist does not specify any exact amount greater than 2x, while technical limitations also add some requirements for headroom...

thus...

32kHz sampling yields a maximum frequency response somewhat below 16kHz...

Rado: " Unless it has TX recording, Time Code, digital modulation and wireless remote control "

these are special purpose features that many production sound mixers value, but they are typically of no interest to the vast rest of the wireless microphone market...

I don't think the NFL would be impressed with either Time Code, or recording features in their referee mic systems, although they were hugely impressed with the encoded digital signals for their player mic's...

Rado: " Unless it has TX recording, Time Code, digital modulation and wireless remote control "

these are special purpose features that many production sound mixers value, but they are typically of no interest to the vast rest of the wireless microphone market...

Well, to be fair, I think Zaxcom does advertise their products as "innovative solutions for location sound".

jose: " Zaxcom does advertise their products as "innovative solutions for location sound". "

that is exactly what I meant...

constantin: " use the internal recording feature of the trx to get at least 48kHz, I believe. "
why would you believe that ??
consultant( "I have a lot of people asking me for advice ": " I certainly don't want to be limited to cables when I want to record other things then dialogue "
if the products available do not fill your needs, then that is how it is, for now... maybe tomorrow..?
" What's really boring here is that no one will acknowledge that thing are not as they seem...  It's a big problem for me and it is something I really don't like "
OK: things are not as they seem, to you... and that is a big problem, for you...
" People are simply saying that they can live with the limitation. "
and if you cannot, don't.
Rado: " I can care less between 32khz and 48khz. "
how much less could you care ??
for many, many, years movie dialog was recorded from microphones that barely had a 15kHz response maximum...
ActualSize: "  I'm refusing. I'm going to force them to use the recording I'm going to make. "
good for you,  until they replace you (such things do happen)...
Christian Spaeth: "  with people singing live on camera, what post people would say if you told them you'll record the voices with 32 kHz. "

people have been singing live for many years, and into mic's that don't make it to 20kHz
why should I tell them ?  In the case of Les Mis, extensive tests were conducted in pre-pro, and if it didn't come up, I guess it made no difference, and so I would not bring it up...

Matt: "  will we need to carry multiple lengths? Perhaps an adjustable whip that can be tuned sort of like the lectro SNA dipole? Maybe antenna length is not as crucial anymore with the new modulation scheme.  "

the modulation scheme has nothing to do with the antenna length.

Callou: "  isn't knowing the entire path of our signals from the talents mouth to the edit bench part of our job? "

while knowing our signal flow is important, knowing every little detail chip numbers and spec's, resistor values, etc. etc. and etc.) is not

" : If you use Analogs out, is the signal going thru the 32Khz pipe or not? "
yes... you are not paying attention... the transmitted data is at 32 kHz...

and now I'm actually caught up in this thread...

I'm a diehard Lectro user but I have to admit... that demo is extremely compelling. Along with the recent testing I've done with some other new Zaxcom wireless gear I'd say Lectro has some work to do.

Zaxcom (Glenn) you have certainly garnered my full attention. How about a venue style receiver for cart use?

Matt: " will we need to carry multiple lengths? Perhaps an adjustable whip that can be tuned sort of like the lectro SNA dipole? Maybe antenna length is not as crucial anymore with the new modulation scheme. "

the modulation scheme has nothing to do with the antenna length.

My point was that usually Zaxcom says that using an antenna meant for an adjacent block has a negligible affect on reception performance and antenna length is not as crucial as one might think. Meaning an antenna can typically cover about 3 blocks (one above and below the cut length). With the new modulation scheme, since it is able to decode the signal much better, I was thinking that perhaps an antenna length right in the middle of all 6 blocks would be what Zaxcom was thinking of.

However, it has since been clarified that Zaxcom will be supplying three antennas to cover any possible block that it is tuned to.

However, it has since been clarified that Zaxcom will be supplying three antennas to cover any possible block that it is tuned to.

I don't believe this is accurate.

My understanding is that the length of the receiver antenna will make negible difference with the new receiver.

You can get your antenna cut for dead center of the frequency range - or cut center for the high end or low end (depending if you are getting transmitters in 2.5 or 2.6 range).

You can get three sets of antennas if you like - one cut center for low, center mid, center high. Though carrying three sets of antennas will only give you 1dB or so of gain - which is not really enough to make a difference.

I asked this question at the presentation last week, and Glenn said there would be antennae for the top, middle and bottom of the band. You have a choice of 3 antenna length to use, so you'd use the corresponding length which is closest to the transmission frequency.

Sounds like we are all saying the same thing and perhaps Zaxcom will just be supplying three sets so you can use whichever method you prefer.

consultant: "above 16khz ( maximum audio frequency reproduced by a 32khz sampling rate )"

actually, that is not quite correct...

the sampling rate must (according to Nyquist) be greater than double the highest frequency...

and Nyquist does not specify any exact amount greater than 2x, while technical limitations also add some requirements for headroom...

thus...

32kHz sampling yields a maximum frequency response somewhat below 16kHz...

actually, that expresion of nyquist is a take and use rule. If you learn the matematics of modulation and sampling, you´ll see that the limit of freq. response is exactly half of the  sampling frec.

actually, that expresion of nyquist is a take and use rule. If you learn the matematics of modulation and sampling, you´ll see that the limit of freq. response is exactly half of the sampling frec.

well, the definition of the Nyquist frequency is that it is exactly half of the sampling rate. However, the highest frequency of the actual audio signal must be below the Nyquist frequency, and (as Senator said) the sampling frequency must be more than double the highest audio frequency

Can the stereo versions of the TRXLA2 and TRXLT2 take stereo LINE LEVEL signals?

It's been mentioned that the new modulation doesn't work with stereo, but if there's an option offered of a stereo LA2 or LT2, it must still transmit something, right (is it just a case of the range reverting back to our 'old' habits)? Also the Xmitters are described as 'talent transmitters', hence my question about line level.

Just thinking out loud, wondering whether this could be used occasionally as a wideband stereo camera hop, which would be of interest to us UK folks (while still having the option of wideband talent wireless for the overseas jobs), with our very limited available spectrum on a shared license here.

Ludovic, the transmitters that will take 2 mics are mic level only. so you could use padded input cables, or the mic level out of your mixer if you have the option. but you do run the risk of the issues that were present in the old goldline system - noise caused by feeding mic level signal rather than line level.

i would guess that you would put them into stereo transmission mode. 

but if you are using the transmitter like this to send to camera, you wont have your ariel against someones body, so your range should be good.

if you use the transmitter with one mic, you would use it in mono mode, and you can take advantage of the new modulation.