Zaxcom product launch

Bob

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another question as well, 

what sampling frequency does the new QRX output, is it still 32KHz?

though given that the maximum practical frequency you would output is 14KHz which is absolutely for what we need, thats not such a problem as long as you have a sample rate converter on your digital input, like the 788 and zaxcom (amongst many others that i have less experience of) recorders do.

If you can use two Tx in different blocks on one Rx this is a great improvement in flexibility.

Great news that Zaxcom did learn their lesson and announce new products that are actually available now (and already include all the announced features). The new website looks very good.

Congrats Zaxcom! And congrats to Howy! Being a dad is the best!

This is all very exciting and I imagine it will bring more customers Zaxcom's way. I'm impatiently waiting for the new site to come up so read about all of the new products.

As far as a trade in program, I can hope for something like what Lectro did with the SRa to SRb program. I don't remember the details, but it was $200-300 and they basically gave you the new model. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Providing an upgrade path is a great way for Zaxcom to improve customer relations and maintain the value of their products. Otherwise, there will be a glut of older hardware in the secondhand market.

I really feel for those who just bought TRX-900LANC. Those were announced on June 23, 2013 and now they are discontinued. Such a short retail life.

Mark O.

Not in this price range, with this transmission range, and not with this feature-set. 

Fair point, I'd only seen the wideband feature when I wrote that, I've just watched the video, and I'm very very impressed! As has been said before, we're working in exciting times, can't wait to see what Lectro come up with next......

Innovations? Not heard of Wisycom?

Wisycom doesn't even come close in terms of feature set. I think probably ALL the other manufacturers are going to introduce wideband transmitters and receivers (multiple blocks) at some point but those units will still not have the level of innovation, features and functions of the Zaxcom wireless.

This is all very exciting and I imagine it will bring more customers Zaxcom's way. I'm impatiently waiting for the new site to come up so read about all of the new products.

As far as a trade in program, I can hope for something like what Lectro did with the SRa to SRb program. I don't remember the details, but it was -300 and they basically gave you the new model. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Providing an upgrade path is a great way for Zaxcom to improve customer relations and maintain the value of their products. Otherwise, there will be a glut of older hardware in the secondhand market.

I really feel for those who just bought TRX-900LANC. Those were announced on June 23, 2013 and now they are discontinued. Such a short retail life.

Mark O.

Wishing the same for my 14 month old QRX100-TRX900 set...

I'm pretty sure, though, that the new wide band units are based on new hardware.  The modulation scheme improvement will be available via download.  I'm not sure how that works with existing RX900 receivers which don't use downloadable firmware -- there are lots of questions yet to be resolved.

apparently the RX900(S) and RX4900 will not be able to get the update and therefor wont work with a updated TRX.

So.... A QRX200 receiver could tune a body pack on block 20 and 26 at the same time? Wow. A few QRX200 receivers in the bag would be ready to go anywhere.

No both transmitters would have to be with in 35MHz of each other. Though you will be able to cross blocks - for example you can use a block 24 tx an 25 tx at the same time provided that they are tuned with in 35MHz of each other.

apparently the RX900(S) and RX4900 will not be able to get the update and therefor wont work with a updated TRX.

The RX900 and RX4900 will work with transmitters that have the new software loaded. The transmitter modulation is selectable to the new or old type.

Glenn

Jack, we appreciate you helping to bring us up to speed on these exciting new units.

How well does the QRX200 perform when used as two separate receivers, as compared to single mode, or as compared to RX900 receivers?

Thanks.

There is no difference between single and dual mode reception other than the diversity type. The 4 dB difference that the QRX100 had is now eliminated. The QRX200 and QRX235 will be better than the RX900 by a wide margine.

Glenn

Power 

The QRX200 pulls 300ma so it begs the question, will there be ventilation issues in a bag? There's generally no side ventilation for receivers in a fully-rigged bag.

Power consumption is the same as the QRX100 so I do not expect any problems.

Glenn

I talked with Glenn and he confirmed the following:

Any TRX900 transmitter can benefit from the new modulation method, but only if used with a QRX100, QRX200, or QRX235 receiver.

The RX900 series receivers can not be upgraded to use the new modulation.

Existing TRX900 transmitters can only use the new modulation if they've been properly upgraded past the 730P firmware barrier.

With the new firmware, existing transmitters can still work as before with RX900 receivers, in either mono or stereo, or with the new receivers via a transmitter menu selection.

Frequency blocks per se don't exist on the new QRX200 receivers, but if used with two transmitters, the frequencies must be within 35mHz of each other.